Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Finally Andreus down. This took no less attempts Watchman probably. Though partially because at first I was fighting with greatsword. After discovering his second phase I tried switching to fire dagger and that weapon is way better against him. I could actually get some hits in between his swings and he is weak to fire. Though it was still tough. Camera fucked me over multiple times in this fight too. Not one of my favorite soulslike bosses for sure.

v1rus

Arcane
Finally Andreus down. This took no less attempts Watchman probably. Though partially because at first I was fighting with greatsword. After discovering his second phase I tried switching to fire dagger and that weapon is way better against him. I could actually get some hits in between his swings and he is weak to fire. Though it was still tough. Camera fucked me over multiple times in this fight too. Not one of my favorite soulslike bosses for sure.

Yeah, sadly, the second phase becomes a camera beast. Shame, for I loved the ambient, and the moveset itself was decent. Now parry sum moar those off-camera tentacle swings.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Though partially because at first I was fighting with greatsword. After discovering his second phase I tried switching to fire dagger and that weapon is way better against him.
Just beat Andreus. As a Tech build I tried the Azure Glaive that I got for free I guess, thinking "wow look at the damage" but I felt like a fat kid at a ball game. So slow, such and easy target. Couldn't even got him under half of his first-stage HP. Returned to my trusty rapier and beat him on my 4th run.

Just like in DS those quick weps are great against bosses and no slouches for everything else either. Motivity builds must suck ass.

Just beat Andreus. As a Tech build I tried the Azure Glaive that I got for free I guess, thinking "wow look at the damage" but I felt like a fat kid at a ball game. So slow, such and easy target. Couldn't even got him under half of his first-stage HP. Returned to my trusty rapier and beat him on my 4th run.

Just like in DS those quick weps are great against bosses and no slouches for everything else either. Motivity builds must suck ass.

Yeah I haven't put any points into any of the damage stats yet as I was undecided so was just mainly pumping Vitality but it doesn't look I will be leveling Motivity.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah I haven't put any points into any of the damage stats yet as I was undecided so was just mainly pumping Vitality but it doesn't look I will be leveling Motivity.
So far I'm more than happy with 15 Vit and 20 Endurance, don't really feel I need more. Been pumping mostly Tech now, with a few points into Capacity coz I've been growing heavier and heavier, even as a light build.

Zurbo

Novice
Similarly to what other people said:
enemies in the game, tend to use extended windups connected with superfast actual attack as well as tempo change of combo attacks.
You also lack tools, like attack animation cancel and poise, so parry system relies on memorization more than reflexes and it becomes irritating later in a game, where bosses spams shit long combos, while baiting that they already stopped.
For me Laxasia was the most interesting boss and dueling her gave me most satisfaction, yet she suffered from those issues even more,
having like 3 similar red attacks each with other tempo, unreactable electrifying bomb dash and jumping like a monkey in the second phase

Stiil, even with mechanic issues above, average exploration and level design, it's noticeably better than stuff like Mortal Shell and old Lords of the Fallen, so yeah, it's worth to give a try.
Also music was pretty nice.

So far I'm more than happy with 15 Vit and 20 Endurance, don't really feel I need more. Been pumping mostly Tech now, with a few points into Capacity coz I've been growing heavier and heavier, even as a light build.

Well I still can't decide whether I want to go Technique or Advance. These split damage elemental weapons actually seem really good but I'm not sure what variety of them I will get or how many I can fully upgrade. If I go Advance route it looks like I will be needing to change them up every once in a while. And I don't want to be stuck with a rather boring Electric Coil Stick for my electric needs. So I leveled VIT to 28 with stamina and capacity at 16 for now. I just unlocked a third amulet slot so I will need to pump some more capacity. But yeah, I will need to finally decide on damage stat soon.

Are parry windows same with all weapons? Because since switching to fire dagger I've been doing parries more successfully and I'm not sure if this is the weapon or just me getting good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stiil, even with mechanic issues above, average exploration and level design, it's noticeably better than stuff like Mortal Shell and old Lords of the Fallen
Better at what?
Atmosphere, character development, combat system/feeling as well

Some things are subjective, others I just disagree with (don't think the combat system is very good and I suspect we'll see significant changes in the sequel).

Look, from my PoV the game is p. good, still deciding between 7/10 and 8/10, depending on whether the level design in later areas gets better. But it's been insanely overrated, with many people on webz and even Tubers and streamers (including Asmon) proclaiming it the only soulslike that's just as good as FromSoft games, the only equal rival to Bloodborne and Elden Ring.

No idea where this kind of unhinged lunacy is coming from, maybe people were fooled by the polish and high production values. Plus gayming media stoked the hype further because of the trans protagonist and clockwork punk setting, which is all the rage among zoomers and soy people today.

Whatever it is it made me actively avoid this game until now. And I might've been subconsciously more critical to it in the beginning then I normally would've been because of that (after the first two levels I thought it's barely 5/10). But I decided to give it a fair chance, like I did for all the soulslikes I've played (and I've played almost all of them), and I'll stick with it.

No idea where this kind of unhinged lunacy is coming from, maybe people were fooled by the polish and high production values.

Wouldn't be the first time. Pretty sure it's the same reason dumbass plebs think Dark Souls III is omg amazing while II sucks. I'd say this is about 6 or 7 out of 10 based on what I've played so far. I don't play a lot of soulslikes outside From and the ones I did try I dropped fast. Fuck can't even remember most of their names now, one was Mortal Shell, which seemed so fucking boring I didn't last an hour in it. I know you think Nioh 2 is a soulslike and that is one of the best action games I ever played but I don't count it as soulslike, it is different enough in my opinion to have identity of its own. So, out of the ones that I do count as soulslikes this has to be the best so far as I haven't uninstalled it yet.

Last edited:

Zurbo

Novice
Some things are subjective, others I just disagree with (don't think the combat system is very good and I suspect we'll see significant changes in the sequel).

Look, from my PoV the game is p. good, still deciding between 7/10 and 8/10, depending on whether the level design in later areas gets better. But it's been insanely overrated, with many people on webz and even Tubers and streamers (including Asmon) proclaiming it the only soulslike that's just as good as FromSoft games, the only equal rival to Bloodborne and Elden Ring.

No idea where this kind of unhinged lunacy is coming from, maybe people were fooled by the polish and high production values. Plus gayming media stoked the hype further because of the trans protagonist and clockwork punk setting, which is all the rage among zoomers and soy people today.

Whatever it is it made me actively avoid this game until now. And I might've been subconsciously more critical to it in the beginning then I normally would've been because of that (after the first two levels I thought it's barely 5/10). But I decided to give it a fair chance, like I did for all the soulslikes I've played (and I've played almost all of them), and I'll stick with it.
I would steer towards 6,5-7/10 personally. It's like a mix between bloodborne and sekiro, while having neither bloodborne worldbuild/atmosphere nor sekiro combat qualities.
I just didn't have very high expectations after playing demo and avoided listening/reading reviews before playing by myself, so probably that's why I'm not disappointed.
Also not having good memories with "cheaper" soulslikes, besides Thymesia maybe. Niohs were better for sure, but it depends wheter you count them as a similar genre.
Maybe I would compare it to Wo Long (without cringy characters, with more customization and better environment) - fine to complete, had some nice encounters, but nothing revolutionary.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
No idea where this kind of unhinged lunacy is coming from, maybe people were fooled by the polish and high production values.

Wouldn't be the first time. Pretty sure it's the same reason dumbass plebs think Dark Souls III is omg amazing while II sucks.
Yep, seems like the same exact case.

As for Nioh, it has the stamina based combat, the XP drop on death, the labyrinthine level design with shortcuts and "bonfires", a rechargeable healing item - these are all AFAIK Miyazaki's inventions and staples of soulslike games. Nioh has them all but it also has a ton of non-souls things like the loot, the mission structure, very different chardev, stances and myriad of other shit.

So I think it's completely reasonable to both call it a soulslike and not doing that. Both make sense IMO.

Personally I think it's way more reasonable to call it a soulslike than something like Jedi Survivor or Hollow Knight.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, people have been arguing about the definition of an RPG for decades, with no end in sight either. They're just informal labels, nothing more.

abija

Prophet
It's simple, because unlike games like Lords of the Fallen (which you mindlessly shilled), they understood perfectly what they were carbon copying and what the audience they targeted wanted. Polished game that doesn't run like crap on edgy tech also helped. It's the kind of game you would want a B team to keep pumping out after a success story, while the top tier guys are experimenting.

Oh by the way I don't get this fucking Cube shit at all. It says in description that it recharges at Stargazer so I thought it was like that flask in Elden Ring where you can mix in different effects. But it doesn't recharge at all after I tried using it once during Andreus fight, which ended up killing me because of super slow animation I did not expect. Is this a bug? I haven't managed to find any of the golden fruit shit NPC that gave the cube was talking about and I'm some ways past the area I met him in. I am pretty sure I explored the areas carefully, not that there's that much to explore in the first place. Does the cube only start working properly like it says in description once you get the fruit?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's simple, because unlike games like Lords of the Fallen (which you mindlessly shilled), they understood perfectly what they were carbon copying and what the audience they targeted wanted - polished game that doesn't run like crap on edgy tech
Yeah, that's what we've been talking about just now.

A reasonably good looking, competent game that runs smoothly is what normies and journalists value above all. If that requirement is met, deeply flawed combat and average level design can be rationalized as "refreshing", "part of the formula" and "at least I don't get lost".

We make decisions with our heart and then proceed to rationalize them with our brain.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lords of the Fallen (which you mindlessly shilled)
Anyone can go into the LotF thread and read my "mindless shilling" - defending the game from incoherent railing about stupid or made up shit, while clearly showing its actual problems and flaws, of which there are many.

For example I find it funny people railed endlessly about gank squads and constant ambushes in LotF and how there are always melee mobs swarming you with their ranged friends pelting you from the back and how it is unfair and obnoxious and how LoP is a much better game.

While in reality LoP is absolutely full of this same stuff. There's a dude waiting around every corner, ready to ram his pitchfork up your asshole, there are idiots hanging from walls, waiting to jump you, there are two or three gank ambushes in every zone, ranged pricks throwing bombs at you from rooftops all the time and so on. The game is actually the most ambush/gank-happy soulslike I've ever played. Nodoby even mentioned that about LoP while games like LotF or Dark Souls 2 are constantly bashed for this.

Just one small example that goes to show how completely fucked up the whole discourse about these two games was.

What the fuck is this Black Rabbit Brotherhood fight lol. I have tried all of the elemental weapons I have, even upgraded acid spear to +3 (best I can right now). Also tried rapier and greatsword. None of these weapons do good damage here and I end up needing to repair my weapon before boss health bar is even halfway depleted. On top of that I need to deal with his fucking companions and if this clunky souls combat is good at anything, it's fights against multiple opponents, right? What is the mechanic I am missing here that would make this fight feel fair and well designed? Because I'm actually tempted to try using a summon for first time now.

cruel

Cipher
This is one of the worst boss fights of the game, don't feel bad about using a summon - I did. One of the 3 times in the whole game.

This is one of the worst boss fights of the game, don't feel bad about using a summon - I did. One of the 3 times in the whole game.
Well, the boss uses summons himself so it makes sense I guess. But yeah, utter garbage fight. If it keeps going likes this Elden Ring boss fights will start looking good to me by comparison.
even upgraded acid spear to +3 (best I can right now)
What are your stats? I think the elemental aspect of split damage weps only scales with Advance so if your ADV is crap you only really upgraded the physical aspect of the spear which obviously sucks.

I didn't upgrade any damage stats because I cannot decide which weapon/handle I want to use as main. As this game seems to keep forcing me to switch them up. But then I also didn't feel like I needed damage stats up to this point as I was doing good damage to everything anyway.

Stocked up full of throwables, then summoned a specter and cheesed that stupid boss with them. Fuck yeah, I feel overflowing with skill now! And finally the fucking golden fruit found. So based on the fact that majority of these wishstones are about giving bonuses to spectres, it would seem developers intended them to be used a lot. This must be why the bosses are so fucking annoying to do without summon.

Ravielsk

Magister
Oh by the way I don't get this fucking Cube shit at all. It says in description that it recharges at Stargazer so I thought it was like that flask in Elden Ring where you can mix in different effects. But it doesn't recharge at all after I tried using it once during Andreus fight, which ended up killing me because of super slow animation I did not expect. Is this a bug? I haven't managed to find any of the golden fruit shit NPC that gave the cube was talking about and I'm some ways past the area I met him in. I am pretty sure I explored the areas carefully, not that there's that much to explore in the first place. Does the cube only start working properly like it says in description once you get the fruit?
My guess is that its a literal left over from an earlier version of the game when it was rechargeable. As it works at first is that you use it once and then you have to haul ass back to Giangio for him to recharge it. After you find the tree with the golden coins you have to trade those for additional recharges. Fairly useless and far too slow to be used when really needed if you ask me.

A big fuck up through because the game does sorely need an extra source of healing in its two stage boss fights when a single mistimed parry can cost you half a health bar.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom