Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why not create a "Codex Top X Modded RPGs"?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Genuinely struggling to think of any game which I've played and enjoyed more with mods, other than Morrowind.

That said, wouldn't hurt to have a list of modded stuff either.
Did you try to play Wizardry 8 without any mods to speed up the game? Good luck, you will spend twice the amount of time to get the same experience - except going nuts during some combat turns as a bonus.

Did you play M&B Warband? Granted the base game was great in itself but some of the mods were really good too. And if you wanted a more historical or more fantasy experience then some total conversions offered better experience.

Did you play nuXCom? People shit on it too much on the Codex but truth to be told the game is only average... ok... whatever. Try Long War, makes it a very good one instead. Not a CRPG though.

Diablo 2 single player is crap. Well, Diablo 2 is shit in general but if you want single player to smell less, MedianXL - long time ago, don't know what happened to it later - was more fun to play than base game SP.

If you liked JA2 vanilla and want to replay it at some point then I guarantee you that you will like 1.13. Just take some older version of the mod before it got too bloated. Those are as good as vanilla but add some cool stuff on top of vanilla.

Then you have QoL mods. Many games have them. In some cases they are life saving - as in preventing you from cutting your wrists. W8 is a good exemple.
In other cases, your life might be safe but sanity (or eyesight) can still suffer without QoL mods.
Say, if you play Battle Brothers I suggest some time saving mods. Ones that pause the game automatically on encountering enemies and on arriving in towns. Otherwise if you want to avoid ambushes you have to travel at base speed x1 to be safe. Not my idea of fun. And one that makes news in taverns more readable by changing the color of letter for key words. Again, reading those might be fun.... the first 50 or 100 hours but if you play longer it becomes a chore. Only an "almost-CRPG" though.

Ok, some of those are not CRPGs but the point is, there are great mods out there that make games either better from get go or add a lot of replayability if you liked the vanilla game a lot.

CHEMS

Scholar
Morrowind easily

The best and most active modding community

Probably Diablo II as close second (Phrozen Keep)

And perhaps Heroes 3 as third but not an RPG
You forgot New Vegas... huge modding community

Well, anything by bethesda you'll need a shitton of mods for it to run properly so...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Nexus (and Wabbajack before them, I think?) came up with collections to make that kind of comprehensive "mods will fix it" approach more accessible to the general public, so they could rank for popularity over there, but I imagine most people around here probably still mod their games à la carte rather than pulling an entire package.
I imagine non-Codex people would find the codex thanks to such a ranking and guides on modding RPGs.

Falksi

Arcane
Genuinely struggling to think of any game which I've played and enjoyed more with mods, other than Morrowind.

Did you try to play Wizardry 8 without any mods to speed up the game? Good luck, you will spend twice the amount of time to get the same experience - except going nuts during some combat turns as a bonus.

Did you play M&B Warband? Granted the base game was great in itself but some of the mods were really good too. And if you wanted a more historical or more fantasy experience then some total conversions offered better experience.

Did you play nuXCom? People shit on it too much on the Codex but truth to be told the game is only average... ok... whatever. Try Long War, makes it a very good one instead. Not a CRPG though.

Diablo 2 single player is crap. Well, Diablo 2 is shit in general but if you want single player to smell less, MedianXL - long time ago, don't know what happened to it later - was more fun to play than base game SP.

If you liked JA2 vanilla and want to replay it at some point then I guarantee you that you will like 1.13. Just take some older version of the mod before it got too bloated. Those are as good as vanilla but add some cool stuff on top of vanilla.

Then you have QoL mods. Many games have them. In some cases they are life saving - as in preventing you from cutting your wrists. W8 is a good exemple.
In other cases, your life might be safe but sanity (or eyesight) can still suffer without QoL mods.
Say, if you play Battle Brothers I suggest some time saving mods. Ones that pause the game automatically on encountering enemies and on arriving in towns. Otherwise if you want to avoid ambushes you have to travel at base speed x1 to be safe. Not my idea of fun. And one that makes news in taverns more readable by changing the color of letter for key words. Again, reading those might be fun.... the first 50 or 100 hours but if you play longer it becomes a chore. Only an "almost-CRPG" though.

Ok, some of those are not CRPGs but the point is, there are great mods out there that make games either better from get go or add a lot of replayability if you liked the vanilla game a lot.
The 4 of those which I have played I played without mods, and certainly didn't feel like there was any major need for them. But this is why a list would be good anyway; whereas I didn't find issues with those games vanilla, others might.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

The 4 of those which I have played I played without mods, and certainly didn't feel like there was any major need for them. But this is why a list would be good anyway; whereas I didn't find issues with those games vanilla, others might.
LOL. It's not about any "need". That's a silly thing to say. It is about having more fun with a given game. Often after you finished one, liked it very much and want more instead of replaying the same.
The only cases when you "need" a mod is when a game is broken or very painful to play due to technical problems. Of the mods I mentioned only Wizardry 8 speed mods could perhaps, maybe, arguably, almost, potentially qualify. Or not if you are a masochist with too much free time.

Pocgels

Scholar
Why not a top RPG mod poll. The top moddable RPGs will be in there, unless there's some game that gets better with 100s of tiny mods but has no significant ones to speak of (Rimworld maybe?)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a bad idea, and there is nothing preventing a member to do this of their free will. It doesn't have to be "official".

laclongquan

Arcane
Mods are something niche by both users and creators.

By niche I mean that not everyone agree with the vision in such mods.

Take Jagged Alliance 2 for example

Vanilla JA2, with patch upto 112, is something absolutely different to mod 113. And while a lot of users like 113 and its doodads, I love 112 vanilla for its... limited features and changes. There is something to be said about turnbased with 25 maxAP compare to 100 maxAP, with the earlier is just barely complicated (enough) and the latter lead to very complicated directions.

And Fallout 2 mods

Restoration Project is good, but Unofficial Patch mod is tad too complex for my taste. Not that I dont love UP,, but its complexity make it being played less often compare to RP.

More recent, Fallout New Vegas

Dust is a total conversion project in the theme of hardcore survival, Dead Money gone crazy. And while I love it to the point of seven starts for seven origins, it's a tad too horror theme for me that need refreshment time after time, just for my peace of minds. Less hardcore players would just drop it outright~

Anyway, what I said is that Codex is more casual than you think, so a worthwhile modded game is not necessarily to their taste~

Some games that become a vastly different experience with mods (for the better):

Fallout: New Vegas - With Project Nevada hitpoint adjuster mod (or player created equivalent, I once made one in the GECKO toolkit), turns FNV combat into a fun and tense FPS.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - There is a massive mod to rebalance the skills, remove HUD for more immersion, remove masterstrike, and adjust attack types to create a nice flow of HEMA type combat. Also another mod to increase frequency of encounters and liven the world up.
Witcher 3 - Enemies of Rivia mod, enables stamina for enemies, so they will now block, counter and dodge as originally intended (but for some reason disabled by CDPR). Turns the combat from an LMB spamfest into a fun and reactive experience.
Deus Ex - GMDX mod, among many other things significantly improves enemy AI, which was a huge problem with the vanilla game. You can no longer walk "in stealth" 10 feet from enemies because their detection radius doesn't extend past their dick.
Skyrim - Just kidding, no amount of mods will fix this shit pile.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Must stay away from mods... eats time.... so much time..... lost.....

Diablo/Hellfire & Diablo 2/LOD
DOOM 1-2
Duke Nukem 3D
Arcanum
Heroes of MM 3

Oh lord Heroes.... must resist.

There are probably a few others if you count emulation like Castlevania series, Ultima, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc but some listed are hardly rpgs.

Hmmm zelda doom

Last edited:

Ladonna

Arcane
The idea itself makes sense, and could spark interest in games that people have previously waved away and forgotten. I am not sure how it could be done with a poll though, rather just a thread asking for contributions with descriptions of the mods, and why they make the game Super Awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom