Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What drove BG3's success, game mechanics or emotional engagement?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Watching the codex struggle with this game has been both hilarious and sad, because it shows you that a large majority of the site has been taken over by absolute shit tasters and bottom tier cretins.
Such as yourself?

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I came to find out recently that this game seems to have about as many musical numbers as Disney's Frozen, a movie for little girls. Coincidence??

Lhynn

Arcane
Watching the codex struggle with this game has been both hilarious and sad, because it shows you that a large majority of the site has been taken over by absolute shit tasters and bottom tier cretins.
Such as yourself?
Debate the point cunt, if you are so bent on it tell me why its a bad game. Im not looking for "Oh it has niggers in it, and theres le bear sex scene!" reddit tier meme. Give me fair criticisms.

Im so tired of "I dont like this game, therefore its shit, I like this game, therefore its good." low effort posting. I dont know if its this sites admin that ran off all the good posters, but all Im left with is midwits like you sharing your inane opinions on a game because "the aesthetics arent to my taste".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Such as yourself?
Debate the point cunt, if you are so bent on it tell me why its a bad game. Im not looking for "Oh it has niggers in it, and theres le bear sex scene!" reddit tier meme. Give me fair criticisms.

Im so tired of "I dont like this game, therefore its shit, I like this game, therefore its good." low effort posting. I dont know if its this sites admin that ran off all the good posters, but all Im left with is midwits like you sharing your inane opinions on a game because "the aesthetics arent to my taste".
Calm down princess.
Exactly what sort of criticisms were you looking for?
Ok, I'll give you one:
FUCK THIS GAME!!!

No, seriously now, what is so remarkable here?
It is a pure Reddit tier rpg that cathers to the Critical Role crowd and other midwits. It is soulless, degenerate trash.

-BBBBBUT MUH TACTICAL GAMEPLAY!!
Nigga, please...
Temple of Elemental Evil (3.5E) or Knights of the Chalice are far, far more tactical and enjoyable.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Im not looking for "Oh it has niggers in it, and theres le bear sex scene!" reddit tier meme. Give me fair criticisms.

- some people dont like cinematic dialogue / full VO style of game like Dragon Age. Its boring waiting for every NPC to get words over their mouth and feels too much like watching a movie.
- ruleset is trash, paper thin mechanics and infested with "accessibility" therefore races and classes feel too samey in terms of skills/feats
- its literally hard to play from all the aggressive romancing and flirting with NPCs

Also,

- you are a faggot

Lemming42

Arcane
You just have to wait like 10 - 15 years for people to decide they actually liked it all along.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Temple of Elemental Evil (3.5E) or Knights of the Chalice are far, far more tactical and enjoyable.

But those games don't have such memorable companions as buff gay dude, twink gay dude, black gay dude, frog with tits, single mom, old lady and (gay now?) retard. Oh and we can't forget the mercenary companions such as Sir Fuzzalump who is another example of the outstanding writing we've come to expect from the goty runner up. How can you even play a game without listening to a troupe of weirdos speak and sing to you for 100 hours??

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

But those games don't have such memorable companions as buff gay dude, twink gay dude, black gay dude, frog with tits, single mom, old lady and (gay now?) retard. Oh and we can't forget the mercenary companions such as Sir Fuzzalump who is another example of the outstanding writing we've come to expect from the goty runner up. How can you even play a game without listening to a troupe of weirdos speak and sing to you for 100 hours??
Making your own full party of adventurers?
Oh, the horror!
Anyway, even the likes of Meleny, Furnok or Elmo are more memorable than the BG3 troupe of faggots.

Lemming42

Arcane
You just have to wait like 10 - 15 years for people to decide they actually liked it all along.
To prove this point: just check out some of the old "Year in Review" articles to see how the old Codex regarded "classics" like Baldur's Gate 1/2, Morrowind, Icewind Dale, etc: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=94 https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=122

BioWare continues to unabashedly be horrible

Since the opening of the RPG Codex, BioWare has been a favourite target of ours simply because the Neverwinter Nights Official Campaign (OC) was pretty awful... The two NWN expansions were, of course, roughly as awful as the original OC.
It just wouldn't be right to have one of these articles without bringing up BioWare, who are probably the biggest RPG developer out there and also probably partially to blame for the dismal state of the genre. It was their Baldur's Gate series that set the trend all the way back in 1998 for flashy RPGs with linear plots, cliche stories, terrible combat--and blockbuster sales.
BioWare being horrible to mediocre is pretty much par for the course, really.
Black Isle Studios, prolific and often poor purveyors of CRPGs...

Another goddamn Morrowind expansion

During the summer of this year, the people at Bethesda Softworks saw fit to inflict upon us another expansion to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.Bloodmoon has you investigating werewolves on the snowy island of--oh, who gives a shit? It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.
Really, I think we completely pissed off the Bethesda fanboys. In fact, a huge chunk of them came over here and told us we were pretty stupid in lord knows how many threads. Heck, there's probably twenty or so threads asking why we didn't like Morrowind alone. Here's a hint though, it sucked. That's why we didn't like it.
And on it goes. You could probably find the exact amount of time that has to elapse before a game goes from being garbage to being a "true classic", and goes from being shat on constantly to being revered with no middle ground. There are exceptions, some games which are just too shit to ever be rehabilitated (Oblivion), but I can virtually guarantee that 15 year olds in the year 2035 will be posting about how whatever new games are coming out are shit and we need to go back to "soulful classics" like BG3. It will be insufferable, and I will say "well come on, I liked BG3 but it wasn't perfect or anything", and they will call me a retard who needs to develop some taste, and probably suggest that BG3 is too deep and complex for me to handle.

Iucounu

Educated
I have never seen a game this marketable and I mean it. The entire format of the game lends itself very well to the short style vids and feed, on tiktok and youtube.
This reminded me of how Mass Effect Andromeda cut alien species that were considered unsuitable for cosplay: https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect-andromeda-cut-content-alien-species/

With its freedom to approach situations with bizarre and funny solutions and life sim elements, it blow up on tiktok with such videos like throwing a cat at the goblin boss and other quirky stuff.
That's likely the only reason developers spend time on such mechanics (it would have been wasted on the cosplay gamers, that prefer watching cutscenes).

The same consideration for streamers may also explain why efficiency, stability and bugfixing are not a priority; streamers just edit such things out from their videos.

janior

Arcane
Patron
One could make fair criticisms especially about latter parts of the game.

Reason why people only hate on teh poz(which is fair enough) is because they didnt play it or quit past act I.

It's definitely the bear sex.

And you know how game studios copycat... There is going to be a lot more animal sex in games now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sexual deviations?
Actually I'd like when main characters would be weirdos with weird sexual deviations who were expulsed from majority of cities because they are too big weirdos. They would make great characters, and add into an interesting engaging story, and BG4 would be great game. (when they would avoid 5E system)

Old Hans

Arcane
Sexual deviations?
Actually I'd like when main characters would be weirdos with weird sexual deviations who were expulsed from majority of cities because they are too big weirdos. They would make great characters, and add into an interesting engaging story, and BG4 would be great game. (when they would avoid 5E system)
baldurs gate 4 should use the 1970's D&D rules

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sexual deviations?
We have some improvements in PnP systems since then. They should use rules that allows decent simulation, and create emergent gameplay.

Old Hans

Arcane
Sexual deviations?
We have some improvements in PnP systems since then. They should use rules that allows decent simulation, and create emergent gameplay.
fine. Baldurs gate 4 should use the rolemaster ruleset

Reason why people only hate on teh poz(which is fair enough) is because they didnt play it or quit past act I.
They should've stuck with it to reach romancing the illithid.
Case in point.
Truthfully I did quit somewhere in mid Baldur's Gate city proper. The itemization from what I had experienced in the city was fairly lame, character progression was pretty much over by then thanks to the low level cap, and none of the story really gripped me to persuade seeing it to the end. The companions were all insufferable on a reddit to resetera scale. No amount of competent tactical combat and tentacle sex could make me soldier through even for as reportedly unfinished act 3 was it was just reaching slog territory.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
FUCK THIS GAME!!!
You may as well shut up instead of screeching like a woman.

Fucking embarrassing display, absolutely shameful. Every single cunt that subscribes to your line of thought should not be sharing his opinion, because it is in fact, worthless.
As I was saying...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom