Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sector Unknown - A Story-Rich, Isometric RPG Set in A Shadowy Expanse of Space

CreativeStorm

Creative Storm Entertainment
Developer
Scifi RPGs are always going to be very interesting for me so best of luck. Only thing that beats it for me is sci/fantasy.
Thanks for that. Same here. I really enjoyed Colony Ship (did three playthroughs) and did something like 95% of the achievements. I would like to see more isometric sci-fi RPGs in the marketplace. There was a time I would have said post-apocalyptic as well, but that seems a bit oversaturated at this point in time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also know that I don't have the art budget to afford a Disco Elysium/Encased/Broken Roads aesthetic

Brother, what? So many things wrong with your sentence.

Broken Roads aesthetic is trash. Please. They call it "post-apoc" and a "brilliant callback to Fallout", but it's really more like Stardew Valley. Colorful hipster world, it's like something for babies. I don't find it believable at all.

Encased just looks like plastic. It looks like nothing. However Disco Elysium has good art direction. But it's mainly because of 2D art like UI and Portraits.

Secondly, you don't need an "art budget". Wtf mate. You just need to have an artistic standard. Did you read books, comics? Have you played good games? Watched good movies? Do you know what a color palette is? Anyone can learn Adobe PS or IL and make an interface or portraits, which is called 2D art for your game. You can use AI too for portraits, icons, etc.

Look for a game called Perihelion or Space Wreck, and you will see what I mean. You don't need a lot, to accomplish a lot visually.
I know Space Wreck (it's on my wishlist). Perihelion I had to look up.
Yep, I can appreciate those aesthetics, especially Space Wreck.

It was also made by 1 guy... he isnt a pro artist either... and his budget wasnt great so.. It's all in the mind

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You should keep in mind in regards to art direction that a little bit in the right place can go a long way. For a space opera game like this, spaceships are arguably the most important focus. Even the crappiest professionally made space opera media has a unique flavor to its ships. Inside and out. You can even tell that spaceships by different races/manufacturers are from the same universe. Look at what makes whatever the greats you're inspired by interesting visually. This applies to armor and other technology too, but you can get away with cheapening those areas assuming you stand out strong elsewhere.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Developer here. I lurk on these forums fairly regularly.

RPGs are my first love, strategy games a distant second. When I was first learning how to code and develop games though, I chose the strategy genre because it would be bat-shit crazy to try my hand at an RPG first. But now, with some games under my belt (some successes, and yeah, some failures as well), I felt ready to take a crack at the genre I truly love, that being the isometric RPG. Huge fan of the old Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and Kotor game, and more recently games like Colony Ship, Trudograd, Encased, and Pathfinder (bounced off the second one pretty hard though).

Some of the games where I had to work with other folks, I have nothing negative to say, but there were compromises that were made as is the case with any collaboration - but with this one, I'm tackling it solo and I'm making the game I want to make and play. Spent three years working on the "engine within an engine" (on the side, I have no goddamned life) to create systems for as seamless as possible quest design, dialogue, and story population. I'm now finally at the stage where I'm building out the first planet and story population is now going really fast. I expect a 1-2 hour demo to be out in a month or three.

The release date is actually near the end of this year, but I have it set to Q3 instead of Q4 in order to generate some more immediate interest where possible. Game will be launched in Early Access and then full launch a year after that.

It's probably still bat-shit crazy of me to tackle this thing, but it's what I want to do, and have always wanted to do.
Good luck with your game! I hope you will succeed in making it as you want, without too many necessary compromises. I'm going to keep my eye on this title. Looks like something for me exactly.

Old Hans

Arcane
https://www.creativestormentertainment.com

ss_51cab31b50d96288ee0615b059d35aa50eb9421f.jpg

ss_928fe616ff32df7326741365fc6c2dd91739f932.jpg

ss_034c5fc61a07cfcc2285936416c0760010aa12ee.jpg

ss_5e0833b120de0a3e37d0950f348b4f359c3b0cb8.jpg

ss_0a91419800c1bac8e4103195de98572bdf16e2aa.jpg
ABOUT THIS GAME
Sector Unknown is an immersive isometric RPG that draws inspiration from classics like Fallout 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, as well as more modern titles such as Wasteland 3, Encased, Colony Ship, Trudograd, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Every decision, every nuance in character development has tangible consequences. While combat is a viable approach, the game equally emphasizes alternative strategies for progression, inviting players to leverage their character's unique abilities to navigate through the narrative creatively and diplomatically.

ezgif-7-482d4af08d.gif

Story

In Sector Unknown, your saga begins as a prisoner aboard a transport ship. Employing your unique skills, you daringly escape in a commandeered escape pod, crash-landing on Maku, a forsaken world veiled within a remote and uncharted region of space. This desolate planet becomes the foundation of your odyssey as you convert an abandoned mining facility into your headquarters. From this stronghold, you will set forth into the cosmos, exploring six distinct worlds and dozens of other locations, each teeming with its own factions and unique stories.

In your quest, you will confront the shadowy dealings of Star Frontier, the powerful trade and mining corporation that once imprisoned you. Operating unchecked in the hidden 'null sector'—now absent from all official star charts—Star Frontier has established a tyrannical reign. Your mission becomes to unite the sector's planets, through either force or diplomacy, and overthrow their oppressive rule once and for all.

Sector Unknownweaves themes of exploration, discovery, and the pursuit of freedom, crafting an epic tale of adventure and rebellion in the boundless expanse of space.

Character Building

Before you begin your journey in Sector Unknown, you will first need to build your character, including their origin and personality. The origin selection offers both combat and non-combat advantages that deeply influence gameplay dynamics, including unlocking dialogue options and allowing for world interactions. The personality trait also augments one combat and non-combat ability.

Your character’s physical attributes will determine their combat efficacy and survivability. There are six main physical attributes: Strength, Coordination, Vision, Speed, Aggression, and Intelligence.

You can also hone a range of non-combat skills as well such as Engineering, Science, Computers, Biology, Finances, and Piloting. Non-technical skills include Intimidation, Persuasion, Perception, Luck, and Larceny. Each skill offers players an avenue to navigate story challenges, ensuring a multi-dimensional gameplay experience.

ezgif-7-9d88137cfe.gif

Planets

Throughout the main narrative of Sector Unknown, you will traverse a spectrum of unique planets, each with distinct factions and individual story arcs:

• Maku: A stark, barren world devoid of life, marking the starting point of the player's adventure.
  • Eremtera: An ice-encased world with a frozen landscape, home to a derelict arc ship from a bygone era.
  • Nabi: A desert planet, its vast sands contested by two long-forgotten human tribes.
  • Helfyr: A fiery planet, rife with lava rivers and volcanic activity, and the site of extensive mining and military operations.
  • Sjo: An oceanic world, its deep waters harboring a chemical compound of unknown potential, harvested by Star Frontier.
  • Xenobiota: The enigmatic final planet, shrouded in secrets waiting to be discovered by the players.
Each location promises a distinct environment and set of challenges that contribute to the rich tapestry of the game’s universe.

Bounty Hunting

Your base will of course serve as a nexus for other activities as well, one of which will be the building of a bounty terminal, allowing you to pick up death mark contracts. With these contracts, you will track down elusive criminals or hunt rogue alien mega-fauna causing unrest across the various planets, with more perilous and rewarding bounty contracts unlocked through the research system.

Research

The research system in Sector Unknownis built upon the non-combat technical skills of your character. Take Biology for example: its research tree unfolds uniquely, unlocking components based on your character's skill level in that area. Similarly, Computers, Science, Engineering, Finances, and Piloting each come with their own distinct trees. These branches not only offer enhancements, bonuses, and unlocks but also underline the importance of your character’s skill increases and leveling choices.

War Score

The uprising itself will be undertaken on a galactic scale, adding a strategic layer to the game. As you progress through the story, you will bring new planets and factions into their alliance, expanding both your influence and reach. However, with each new planet added to your coalition, the stakes rise, thrusting them deeper into conflict with Star Frontier. Meeting this growing challenge requires reinforcing newly acquired planets, recruiting specialized support staff, building formidable fleets, and tackling pivotal side missions. The culmination of these efforts is reflected in your War Score. This score not only contributes to your character’s destiny but also that of the planets under your control as well.

Crafting

After claiming the abandoned mining facility on Maku as your base, you will be able to do many things from there, including crafting, enabling the forging of weapons, armor, shield generators, narcotics, injectors, and even starships. The crafting system boasts a rich matrix of over fifty organic and inorganic materials, encompassing everything from metals and inert gases to chemicals, fungi, and various flora. Successful component combinations yield superior items, tipping both combat and non-combat scenarios distinctly in your favor.

Your Story

In Sector Unknown, every choice you make shapes your journey. As you traverse through null sector, your interactions with characters and factions on each planet will uniquely influence the narrative. Your decisions determine not only the outcome of each planetary story arc but also the fate of the entire sector. From forging alliances to making tough moral choices, your path is yours to define. Whether through diplomacy, strategy, or combat, your story will unfold in a way that reflects your personal play-style and decisions, culminating in a truly bespoke gaming experience where you are the architect of your destiny.

ezgif-7-c382c4bb6b.gif

framerate looks a little rough in that trailer, which is alwys a good sign

CreativeStorm

Developer
You should keep in mind in regards to art direction that a little bit in the right place can go a long way. For a space opera game like this, spaceships are arguably the most important focus. Even the crappiest professionally made space opera media has a unique flavor to its ships. Inside and out. You can even tell that spaceships by different races/manufacturers are from the same universe. Look at what makes whatever the greats you're inspired by interesting visually. This applies to armor and other technology too, but you can get away with cheapening those areas assuming you stand out strong elsewhere.
Agreed. I would like to establish different styles for the corporate long-haulers vs the Star Frontier warships vs the modded pirate cutters.

CreativeStorm

Developer
Developer here. I lurk on these forums fairly regularly.

RPGs are my first love, strategy games a distant second. When I was first learning how to code and develop games though, I chose the strategy genre because it would be bat-shit crazy to try my hand at an RPG first. But now, with some games under my belt (some successes, and yeah, some failures as well), I felt ready to take a crack at the genre I truly love, that being the isometric RPG. Huge fan of the old Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and Kotor game, and more recently games like Colony Ship, Trudograd, Encased, and Pathfinder (bounced off the second one pretty hard though).

Some of the games where I had to work with other folks, I have nothing negative to say, but there were compromises that were made as is the case with any collaboration - but with this one, I'm tackling it solo and I'm making the game I want to make and play. Spent three years working on the "engine within an engine" (on the side, I have no goddamned life) to create systems for as seamless as possible quest design, dialogue, and story population. I'm now finally at the stage where I'm building out the first planet and story population is now going really fast. I expect a 1-2 hour demo to be out in a month or three.

The release date is actually near the end of this year, but I have it set to Q3 instead of Q4 in order to generate some more immediate interest where possible. Game will be launched in Early Access and then full launch a year after that.

It's probably still bat-shit crazy of me to tackle this thing, but it's what I want to do, and have always wanted to do.
Good luck with your game! I hope you will succeed in making it as you want, without too many necessary compromises. I'm going to keep my eye on this title. Looks like something for me exactly.
Thanks for that! Much appreciated. Warsaw is a beautiful city by the way, I was there last winter for a few weeks.

Litmanen

Educated
inspiration from classics like Fallout 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, as well as more modern titles such as Wasteland 3, Encased, Colony Ship, Trudograd, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker
A rather bold statement. I'm sure it's accurate and not designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

Totally crafted.
Not at all the games I really enjoyed playing through the years and would like to play more of.
I really like your game, what I have seen of it until now, obviously, and I hope you'll put in it everything you have in mind but...

but, PLEASE, don't take anything quest/world-intelligence related from Fallout New Vegas.

Fallout 3 and 4, for me, don't even exist and I was really hoping that New Vegas could be good, better at least, but beside the world that is still amazingly charming, the quests were at best shallow and the people there were idiots.

So take inspiration from all the others (maybe exclude Mass Effect too), especially Fallout 2.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
If it were my call Id actually go back and have a look at Star Control 2, Planets Edge and Albion. Yes they are old and PE isn't the greatest but there was something in those games that just has never been done right again. Hard to put my finger on what but its something about feeling more like old Star Trek than Nu Star Trek, if that makes any sense. A sense of exploration of an alien galaxy where humans are small fry or something, rather than Solcentric human issue stuff.

Fallout and Mass Effect all failed at this. Maybe KotOR got it - it helped being set in the distant past.

Aemar

Arcane
Some of their games were published by PlayWay (notorious Polish shovelware vendors). I'm guessing the self-published ones (which includes the Age of Gladiator games) might be better.
The dev is known for half-arsed releases that get abandoned way sooner than it should.

CreativeStorm

Developer
inspiration from classics like Fallout 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, as well as more modern titles such as Wasteland 3, Encased, Colony Ship, Trudograd, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker
A rather bold statement. I'm sure it's accurate and not designed to appeal to as many people as possible.

Totally crafted.
Not at all the games I really enjoyed playing through the years and would like to play more of.
I really like your game, what I have seen of it until now, obviously, and I hope you'll put in it everything you have in mind but...

but, PLEASE, don't take anything quest/world-intelligence related from Fallout New Vegas.

Fallout 3 and 4, for me, don't even exist and I was really hoping that New Vegas could be good, better at least, but beside the world that is still amazingly charming, the quests were at best shallow and the people there were idiots.

So take inspiration from all the others (maybe exclude Mass Effect too), especially Fallout 2.
Thanks, Fallout 2 is probably my most-played game of all time. The freedom is incredible. I think I have something like 170 hours on it, and that's just the Steam version.
New Vegas, I respect the world-building, and the versatility of the quests. Fallout 3 and 4, I agree, those ones were letdowns.

CreativeStorm

Developer
If it were my call Id actually go back and have a look at Star Control 2, Planets Edge and Albion. Yes they are old and PE isn't the greatest but there was something in those games that just has never been done right again. Hard to put my finger on what but its something about feeling more like old Star Trek than Nu Star Trek, if that makes any sense. A sense of exploration of an alien galaxy where humans are small fry or something, rather than Solcentric human issue stuff.

Fallout and Mass Effect all failed at this. Maybe KotOR got it - it helped being set in the distant past.
Star Control 2 was a tricky game, that's one I'm not ashamed to say that I needed a guide to finish. Had to look up Planet's Edge, will check it out - seems like something I would have eaten up at the time it came out.
Thanks.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Sector Uknown - Prologue
Sector Unknown - Prologue

The store page for the free Prologue version of the game is now live!
Wishlist and follow for more details and updates.

About

"Sector Unknown - Prologue" offers a free introduction to the game's universe, providing players with around 2-3 hours of immersive gameplay. This standalone experience gives a sneak peek into the storyline and gameplay mechanics that the full version will expand upon.

284347bcb8d8de94fcef06353f820a22b83844b9.png

In the Prologue, you begin as a prisoner on board a transport en route to the notorious Hell's Gate Prison, a sweltering station/colony orbiting perilously close to a blazing star. You'll have multiple ways to slip out of your cell, outsmart the crew, and eject from the ship before it meets its demise.

Your adventure continues as you find yourself marooned on Maku, the desolate first planet, following your escape. Here, you will undertake various tasks: from bringing a derelict mining facility back to life as your stronghold, to scouring the wreckage of the downed prison transport for essential supplies. Additionally, you'll encounter a group of rival pirates wrestling for control of the planet, and it's up to you to decide whether to use force or diplomacy to deal with them.

d4591a1ebe2ed54c4fc9138e77f9be067a36b5b7.png

Wishlist and follow today for more updates!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sector Uknown - Prologue

About

"Sector Unknown - Prologue" offers a free introduction to the game's universe, providing players with around 2-3 hours of immersive gameplay. This standalone experience gives a sneak peek into the storyline and gameplay mechanics that the full version will expand upon.

In the Prologue, you begin as a prisoner on board a transport en route to the notorious Hell's Gate Prison, a sweltering station/colony orbiting perilously close to a blazing star. You'll have multiple ways to slip out of your cell, outsmart the crew, and eject from the ship before it meets its demise.

Your adventure continues as you find yourself marooned on Maku, the desolate first planet, following your escape. Here, you will undertake various tasks: from bringing a derelict mining facility back to life as your stronghold, to scouring the wreckage of the downed prison transport for essential supplies. Additionally, you'll encounter a group of rival pirates wrestling for control of the planet, and it's up to you to decide whether to use force or diplomacy to deal with them.

Who is taking one for the team?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Looks intriguing enough. Wishlisted and all the best!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Sector Uknown - Prologue

About

Who is taking one for the team?

It's free, so why not?

CreativeStorm

Developer
https://store.steampowered.com/sear..._230_7&developer=Creative+Storm+Entertainment

Keep your expectations to a minimum. This game is just the money grab for the current year.

That's nonsense.

Aircraft Carrier I was brought on for two months a year after launch to fix some game-breaking bugs. That's what I did. It was a paid job. Creative Storm shouldn't even be listed there, not sure why it is.
Deadwater Saloon I worked with three other entities. As I've mentioned in the forums, I can make bug fixes (which I do when they come in), but I cannot make any game-changing decisions. I don't have autonomy on that game like my others.
Raiders I'm proud of, even though I whiffed on the animations.
Age of Gladiators Reforged was a remake of the original Age of Gladiators, but this time in Unity. The original was created in an engine cobbled together in C++ as I was learning how to code and is near impossible to make changes. Age of Gladiators Reforged was my attempt to add quality of life changes, resolution adaptations, and more. It was also heavily discounted for previous owners of the game.

I've mentioned in my post here that I've had some successful games and some fuck-ups.

If this game was a cash grab, I wouldn't be waiting nearly a year to launch and then putting in Early Access for at least another year after that before full-launch. Most EA launches do terrible, but I want to avoid some of the mistakes I made with previous games in thinking the game was good to go, only to scramble with updates and patches after launch. I want beta testers and people that care to provide feedback so that I can create in a genre I love.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well if you need a narrator/voice artist/bit of writing help hit me up mate you seem okay to me, Id be keen to help with something like this.

CreativeStorm

Developer
https://store.steampowered.com/sear..._230_7&developer=Creative+Storm+Entertainment

Keep your expectations to a minimum. This game is just the money grab for the current year.

That's nonsense.
The discussion sections pertaining to your games feature this recurring theme:

gvghbj.png
eynrru.png
db-d-H-zfhm.png
z-v-sgn-g.png

Like I said, you can take Aircraft Carrier Survival and Deadwater out of there. ACS was a paid job for two months to fix some game-breaking bugs way after launch, and that's what I did. Deadwater I have limited autonomy on.

Age of Gladiators Rome, the date of your screenshot is 2021. The game was launched back in 2018. I did 20 major updates all the way up to 2020 (along with some minor ones I didn't post news for) along with free game additions (new portraits, shields, new class, etc).
Games do come to an end eventually and I'm one person.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2890980/view/4212627958608062535
Devlog: Crafting & Resources In Sector Unknown
After claiming the abandoned mining facility on Maku as your base, you will unlock crafting in the game.
Greetings!

This is the first of several devlogs talking about the various systems in Sector Unknown.

f02455abe982bdeeb7c8293d9939fc804f327029.png

After claiming the abandoned mining facility on Maku as your base, you will unlock crafting in the game. Crafting is broken down into the various schematic classes:
  • Weapons
  • Armor
  • Energy Shields
  • Injectors
  • Narcotics
  • Ships
From there, schematic are organized further into sub-tiers. For example, weapons are further classed into pistol, carbine, rifle, and vibrosword tiers.

Components & Success Rolls

fdc2568ffc32090a6c57ee9ae2377e499b392fe8.png

Each crafting schematic has components. For example, a pistol will have the following components:
  • Chassis
  • Weapon Core
  • Sights
  • Barrel
  • Grip
  • Augment Slot
Each of these will require different resources. However, of note, each of these do not require crafting separately, they're simply part of the overall pistol schematic.

When crafting an item, you will roll a success level on each component, which in turn confers a bonus to that item. Using the pistol example, the success you manage to roll on the pistol's sights will determine it's Hit % bonus.

The success rolls are as follows:
  • None
  • Minimal
  • Mediocre
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Masterful
  • Flawless
  • Legendary

6afbe4fac56fc9ded38902ad40a2cbad2d41ac81.png

The roll is determined by your characters appropriate attribute. Equipment will be determined by the characters Engineering stat, Injectors by the characters Science stat, and Narcotics by the character's Biology stat. Some items like repair kits or base items do not have success rolls.

Resources

30ca0770d0cf9e13dfd49485ca6a6a5526263dc8.png

Resources are broken down into Organic and Inorganic tiers, and then further into the following sub-tiers:
  • Metal
  • Gemstone
  • Gas
  • Chemical
  • Tuber
  • Fungi
  • Stalk
  • Flora
Resources can be looted from containers and fauna corpses, mined from planets in space, and scavenged from wrecks such as the crashed prison transport on Maku.

As well, junk and other items in your inventory can be deconstructed, returning a small amount of resources.

ac1b44b52f04619edf1d94bc19605362f99b4287.png

Terminals & Schematics

482e37d26fb1c14d996668cc2bc45968d5984eb9.png

Crafting is done from the appropriate terminals in your base. Researching a particular terminal via the Computers research tree unlocks the terminals to be built via your base Fabricator. From there, if you have unlocked the various tiers of schematics available and you have enough resources, you can craft that item. There are three tier levels for each type of item to be crafted (for example, pistols have T1, T2, and T3 schematics).

4457f8f99b0f00d8aaa9dfe1180d2f5bddf23c0c.png

Summary
Crafting is an optional part of the game, but one that can provide amazing equipment and items if the player chooses to engage in the mechanic. All of these features will also be available in the free Prologue version of the game.

Don't forget to wishlist and follow for release dates and information!

Litmanen

Educated
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2890980/view/4212627958608062535
Devlog: Crafting & Resources In Sector Unknown
After claiming the abandoned mining facility on Maku as your base, you will unlock crafting in the game.
Greetings!

This is the first of several devlogs talking about the various systems in Sector Unknown.

f02455abe982bdeeb7c8293d9939fc804f327029.png

After claiming the abandoned mining facility on Maku as your base, you will unlock crafting in the game. Crafting is broken down into the various schematic classes:
  • Weapons
  • Armor
  • Energy Shields
  • Injectors
  • Narcotics
  • Ships
From there, schematic are organized further into sub-tiers. For example, weapons are further classed into pistol, carbine, rifle, and vibrosword tiers.

Components & Success Rolls

fdc2568ffc32090a6c57ee9ae2377e499b392fe8.png

Each crafting schematic has components. For example, a pistol will have the following components:
  • Chassis
  • Weapon Core
  • Sights
  • Barrel
  • Grip
  • Augment Slot
Each of these will require different resources. However, of note, each of these do not require crafting separately, they're simply part of the overall pistol schematic.

When crafting an item, you will roll a success level on each component, which in turn confers a bonus to that item. Using the pistol example, the success you manage to roll on the pistol's sights will determine it's Hit % bonus.

The success rolls are as follows:
  • None
  • Minimal
  • Mediocre
  • Good
  • Great
  • Excellent
  • Masterful
  • Flawless
  • Legendary

6afbe4fac56fc9ded38902ad40a2cbad2d41ac81.png

The roll is determined by your characters appropriate attribute. Equipment will be determined by the characters Engineering stat, Injectors by the characters Science stat, and Narcotics by the character's Biology stat. Some items like repair kits or base items do not have success rolls.

Resources

30ca0770d0cf9e13dfd49485ca6a6a5526263dc8.png

Resources are broken down into Organic and Inorganic tiers, and then further into the following sub-tiers:
  • Metal
  • Gemstone
  • Gas
  • Chemical
  • Tuber
  • Fungi
  • Stalk
  • Flora
Resources can be looted from containers and fauna corpses, mined from planets in space, and scavenged from wrecks such as the crashed prison transport on Maku.

As well, junk and other items in your inventory can be deconstructed, returning a small amount of resources.

ac1b44b52f04619edf1d94bc19605362f99b4287.png

Terminals & Schematics

482e37d26fb1c14d996668cc2bc45968d5984eb9.png

Crafting is done from the appropriate terminals in your base. Researching a particular terminal via the Computers research tree unlocks the terminals to be built via your base Fabricator. From there, if you have unlocked the various tiers of schematics available and you have enough resources, you can craft that item. There are three tier levels for each type of item to be crafted (for example, pistols have T1, T2, and T3 schematics).

4457f8f99b0f00d8aaa9dfe1180d2f5bddf23c0c.png

Summary
Crafting is an optional part of the game, but one that can provide amazing equipment and items if the player chooses to engage in the mechanic. All of these features will also be available in the free Prologue version of the game.

Don't forget to wishlist and follow for release dates and information!
Never liked (because I'm inept, honestly) crafting, but I like everything this game is proposing.

It's going directly in the top 3 of my waiting list

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Never liked (because I'm inept, honestly) crafting, but I like everything this game is proposing.
Unless game is built around crafting mechanics (Cataclysm: DDA or NEO scavenger, for example), it's usually a bit meh system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom