Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
In fact, people have already begun to turn DD2 into yet another rollslop game:
Not a very complex "mod". It just takes the Theif's dodge and lets a Fighter use it. Isn't the Wayfarer vocation supposed to let you do this anyway (combine skills from various classes)?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The game is already pretty easy when you aren’t being punished by low stamina/knock-downs. Just wear what you think looks cool. I do appreciate that equipment is more sparse; it’s been awhile but I remember a large part of the first game I was constantly trading up and sinking money into equipment that was only a teensy bit better but mechanically the same thing.

Turn_BASED

Educated
There is some unique gear to be found but it’s very rare.
How exactely is this a bad thing?
If a piece of equipment is unique, then by definition it should be rare
Right?
I understand that approach and it makes sense, but I think it’s destined to fail due to the linear gear progression. Getting the unique stuff is cool but the vast majority of it is useless. Going the dark souls route - most items have unique move sets/abilities - would have made this far easier to make the juice feel worth the squeeze.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I found a weapon that had an affinity for killing a specific monster. Didn't even realize it until I stabbed one through the face and insta-killed it through multiple HP pips.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Okay I'm ready to forgive the game. I still feel pissed but atleast there wasn't a weird catlady fuck scene. Also apparently she doesn't show up for the rest of the game. What a worthless "romance" btw. You get a 2 second scene where you're both sitting in bed and that's it.

NotSweeper

Educated
shiet.jpg

This is why you let the dumb-dumbs pre-order, beta test, what have you, before you buy. One of my working theories is that every sequel is, mechanically (and perhaps in other ways), a downgrade from what preceded it.
There are notable exceptions to this rule, but it's like 95% accurate, especially nowadays.
You can fix the save system fuckery, you might even improve the optimization, but there's no way to fix shit design.

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
I don't know if I'm just unlucky but I'm getting more and more pawns infected with the Dragonplague.

As soon as one..
Sits on the floor or argues
I brine it, but I have to do the whole party just in case the infection has spread and then rehire a new party with the nagging doubt one of them has Dragon herpes.

It's the one game mechanic that annoys me, because if you don't notice it you can fuck up your game.
..and I don't want to use the failsafe option of only using campsites to stop any infection of the townsfolk, as I keep picking up random missions in the towns
I would go solo but I like playing with The Trickster at the moment and that needs pawns.

The other thing I don't like is some of the atrocious voice acting, especially by the diversity hires.

Other than that, the game is great fun

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
shiet.jpg

This is why you let the dumb-dumbs pre-order, beta test, what have you, before you buy. One of my working theories is that every sequel is, mechanically (and perhaps in other ways), a downgrade from what preceded it.
There are notable exceptions to this rule, but it's like 95% accurate, especially nowadays.
You can fix the save system fuckery, you might even improve the optimization, but there's no way to fix shit design.
There is nothing in this game that cannot be fixed. It's already fantastic but it needs work. My only concern is that Capcom will focus on the wrong criticisms (how saves work for example) and actually downgrade the game and make it even easier than it already is. The game needs to be far more punishing.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
Is it really just that it sits on the floor? It must be the first warning sign. I assumed it was the “straightfoward” inclination. The last two I hired did that but nothing happened so far; only that my pawn gave them guff for being so lax.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Is it really just that it sits on the floor? It must be the first warning sign. I just assumed it was the “straightfoward” inclination. The last two I hired did that but nothing happened so far; only that my pawn gave them guff for being so lax.
From what I heard they become very erratic. That's probably just a potential warning sign. Some pawns are just naturally more lazy than others.

Crayll

Liturgist
shiet.jpg

The game is far from perfect, but some of these criticisms are stupid or just false.

Who cares about staff melee? Don't know why you would do that instead of just running away and using focused bolt or a quick spell.
Quick spell on mage/sorc is super useful when you have a monster jumping for your face and you need to get a quick flamethrower or levin off.
Warrior is just straight up better now vs. spamming light jump attacks through the entirety of DD1 (with the occasional arc of deliverance against a boss monster).
The world map has far more going on than DD1 which was a tiny map when you actually look at it, with only a few linear paths (Gran Soren to Cassardis/Shadow Fort/Blue Moon Tower/the mountain). There were only a couple of actually open areas like the far southwest and they were empty with almost nothing going on there. The DD2 map looks linear in lots of places due to the road placement, but there's way more opportunity to take cross-country shortcuts than in DD1.
NG+ changes in the first DD? The only thing that comes to mind are some extra portcrystals, easy access to the Ur Dragon, and the final boss being slightly different.

There are some actual problems listed, like not having throwables and arrow items requiring an ability slot, but most of those complaints are dumb.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yosharian

Arcane
shiet.jpg

That post gets several things wrong

Not saying that the game has issues, lack of difficulty is probably its most severe one

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Mother of God. So I finaly decided to go back to Merve for the first time in over 40 hours to wrap up whatever shit I might have missed (sounds like I'm about finished with business in the capital)
and there's a giant fucking tumor infested dragon attacking the town. Wtf? This game really knows how to throw you some curve balls

Yosharian

Arcane
Is it really just that it sits on the floor? It must be the first warning sign. I assumed it was the “straightfoward” inclination. The last two I hired did that but nothing happened so far; only that my pawn gave them guff for being so lax.
Eh I don't think that's a sign of anything nefarious, it's their manner (and the eyes) that are your warning signs

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
Mother of God. So I finaly decided to go back to Merve for the first time in over 40 hours to wrap up whatever shit I might have missed (sounds like I'm about finished with business in the capital)
and there's a giant fucking tumor infested dragon attacking the town. Wtf? This game really knows how to throw you some curve balls
That should have been a quest? I will say at some point around level 20+ drakes have started spawning all over the first zone, but that pus-y one was based around the Ulrika/oxcart quests for me

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
So I ignored yet another pawn I had recruited that kept sitting down, as apparently it's a harmless relaxation animation.
She's just told me to fuck off and her eyes have gone red..so I chucked her in the brine.
#neverrelaxaroundpawns
#brineisyourfriend
#killallsittingpawns
#hashtag

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
That should have been a quest? I will say at some point around level 20+ drakes have started spawning all over the first zone, but that pus-y one was based around the Ulrika/oxcart quests for me
Something I missed perhaps? I haven't gone back in that direction ever since I did the Oxcart Courier quest and that was forever ago. Since my stay in the capital I haven't heard any news of Merve. I've been seeing plenty of Drakes but I didn't know they would start appearing in the beginning areas. This game is fucking fascinating.

Fink

Novice
I'm 37 hours in now, the amount of time most reviewers seemed to finish the game in. Don't feel like I'm anywhere near the end. Only completed like two quests in Battahl. Can only assume those who finish it in that time did no unguided exploring whatsoever.

I think it's a fun game, and I stand by my statement of "If you liked the original, you'll like this". But those saying it's better than the first are crazy, IMO. It's definitely not as good.

My main beefs with DD2:
- Most of the things that brought the first game down are still here, after 12(!) years: single character slot, chests rarely yield anything interesting or exciting, retarded plot/quests, spamming curatives from pause menu.
- Sad about lack of multiple layers of armour.
- Don't love the new vocations, missing old vocations that I liked more (strider, mystic knight, etc)

What I like:
- Most of what made the first game great is still here, unaltered.
- World feels more fun to explore.
- Pawns feel more fleshed out/useful and inclination system is less cryptic.

What I don't care about one way or another:
- Perfomance. NPCs phasing in and mild FPS drops in crowded areas. Not ideal but, like, which big RPG doesn't have performance issues at launch??
- Complaints about lack of difficulty. Not like the first game was hard, difficulty wasn't the point of Dragon's Dogma.
- MTX. Extremely unobtrusive and unnecessary for anyone to spend IRL money on. Big corporation is greedy, news at 11. There's no in game pop ups telling you to buy shit or anything annoying like that.
- Black guy

Yosharian

Arcane
Complains that you can spam curatives from the menu, something which is essential if you want to play without a Mage, but then says that lack of difficulty is not an issue

Performance is also not an issue? Shitty FPS and frame drops in a fucking action RPG? It's one of the worst aspects of the game, almost ruins the experience completely

Sometimes I wonder about people

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom