Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

J1M

Arcane
I do find it extremely concerning that each clan has two dev diaries and neither dev diary has any video demonstrations. We get a few screenshots at best.
I'm not sure why they did that gameplay video they did a few months ago. I know it's early on in the game, but repeating a level multiple times followed by having to hunt down a particular item that's repeated over and over within that level is not stellar showcase material when you're wanting to make people excited for your game. It's also fairly lazy design. You're basically using the same level four times with a few alterations to that level. Maybe they learned their lesson with showing the gameplay because it's really not all there in terms of expectations. Or even worse, what they have to show for the clans is worse than that gameplay video they put out.
Hardsuit demo is still better.

Harthwain

Magister
You can scale walls (2:50), so it would be easy to turn this into the ability that allows you to get on the rooftops.

That video is from the HSL version of the game, we know nothing how TCR are planning to handle this...
The Dev Diary is from 07.02.2024. Even if gameplay is from Hardsuit Labs I don't see a reason why The Chinese Room wouldn't be able to come up with something similar to this. In fact, all they'd have to do is reuse what Hardsuit Labs did.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That sounds incredibly gay given the original is a narrative based RPG. It's not Fortnite
Narrative based RPG sounds much more gay than roguelike.

It's not the genre's fault that modern writers can't write themselves out of a wet paperbag.

TCR and basically everyone else in the industry has a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes the vampire RPG good. Players want a vampire power fantasy, they want sexy goth GFs, they want core lore and badass characters, and mechanics that make them feel like a distinct non-generic vampire. Also there's the issue of hierarchy, of belonging to something beyond just yourself, which is where clan structures and politics come in.

But no, let's just make a stealth brawler because that makes sense.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The fact that a paper RPG has certain rules is one thing, but the translation into a video game is another thing. We still don't know what exactly this will look like, except that it will have some impact on the gameplay. Dev Diary hides this ambiguity behind some specific but non-contextual information.
How is it non-contextual? If you break the Masquerade, it will have consequences in the game. Namely punishment from Camarilla Court's Scourge (since you're the Sheriff). The original point we were discussing was whether the game would have Masquerade mechanics or not. The game does have this mechanic, as they stated in the diary. We obviously don't know how deep it will be (spoiler: it wasnt also deep in Troika Bloodlines), but it will be in the game.

We have no context, only some scraps of information and a general vision of how Masquerade works. Think about it, it must be a complex mechanic. All this requires planning and careful consideration of how the Masquerade will manifest itself in the game. This problem can be solved in many ways. Isn't it weird that it's described in such general terms? As if they were hiding excessive simplicity behind a marketing illusion. At least that's how I see it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in none gameplay we see vertical movement in the open world, only in closed maps.
The only thing we saw in regards to this was in the announcement trailer I believe, where the player character tackles a goon on top of a building and dive down, and later in the video, glide through air in streets. Yes we don't know how three dimensional the city will be, whether they have marked vantage points you can use to get on top of buildings or free roaming building to building.

Yes, but what is this flight part of? One situation in the game or a commonly used mechanic? And if the latter, how was it implemented, by being able to climb any wall or red gutter?

You can see that this is all very unclear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in none gameplay we see vertical movement in the open world, only in closed maps.
The only thing we saw in regards to this was in the announcement trailer I believe, where the player character tackles a goon on top of a building and dive down, and later in the video, glide through air in streets. Yes we don't know how three dimensional the city will be, whether they have marked vantage points you can use to get on top of buildings or free roaming building to building.
You can scale walls (2:50), so it would be easy to turn this into the ability that allows you to get on the rooftops. Will we be able to literally "stalk from rooftops"? I would be surprised if they put that bit on info without making sure they can carry it through (no matter what pathetic form it may take in the end).

Besides, "stalk from rooftop" would mean something different than normal sneaking mechanics (normal sneaking boils down to vertical relationss, unless the enemies have a full field of view).

Wesp5

Arcane

Harthwain

Magister
Besides, "stalk from rooftop" would mean something different than normal sneaking mechanics (normal sneaking boils down to vertical relationss, unless the enemies have a full field of view).
Assassin's Creed is one example of doing it. Want more examples of how to do rooftop gameplay? Shadow of Mordor. [PROTOTYPE]. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt. It is not that complicated.

But the video you cited is not from that Dev Diary, it's three years old!
Sure, but that's not really relevant. They can either reuse what Hardsuit Labs did or do something of their own. The basic idea remains the same. The real question is how far will they go with that idea as something that you can do in terms of gameplay, and not just for some scripted mission segment.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Assassin's Creed is one example of doing it. Want more examples of how to do rooftop gameplay? Shadow of Mordor. [PROTOTYPE]. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt. It is not that complicated..

I didn't say it was impossible. It's just that, considering the mess that this game is, the next mechanic seems to be just adding to the mess, so they will probably reach for the so-so solutions, not proper mechanics.

Semiurge

Cipher
Hey guys, BL2 will have a teleportation powah with the chance to telefrag!

Tg9ueo6.jpeg

Radical.

Vulpes

Scholar
How exactly do you stalk someone on a roof or break the masquerade in the middle of a blizzard? Who tf is walking around at night during a giant storm?
Bums, junkies, DoorDashers and other untouchables? The only problem I see is how a Ventrue character is supposed to find suitable vitae

jungl

Augur
paradox are morons buying WoD. Very restricted type of game can make with the license due to the super cereal narrative driven nature of the setting like fuck dishonored gameplay is boring a roguelike mystery dungeon game would be lot more entertaining. A vampire the masquerade game like shiren the wanderer serpentcoil island but instead of a island its a city and ur fighting different clans, wod monsters, factions would be a lot more fun then dishonored clone.

Last edited:

Vincente

Arbiter
Laffo at Assassimites being in Seattle when Arabs make up less than 1% of the state population.

Are Settites still a thing or did they get munched?
Setites are called the Ministry now, they don't worship Set anymore or corrupt people. But they're still liars and manipulators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom