Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Probably mentioned here already but Shadowman (1999) is a cool as fuck metroidvania TPP.

Has some shortcomings, like lack of variety in weapons/mobs or monotonous color palette, but overall it's pretty amazing and still holds up to this day.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone tried this?

backed it a long time ago when I was still optimistic about KS projects... it's in my library but I'm waiting for it to be released out of EA before playing it...

So what do you guys think of Journey to the Savage Planet?

It's described as a Metroid Prime clone, a First Person Metroidvania. I haven't played any Metroid Prime games so I wouldn't know how it compares.
I enjoyed it, it's fun especially if you like first-person exploration games... I would have gotten all the achievements if they didn't have ones for co-op in it... :argh:

Play Animal Well, it comes out in 2 days and i cant say more but play animal well.

Here is my review: Play it

This actually looks really cool. I only watched a snippet of the Dunkey video and one review to get the gist and there seems to be a big emphasis on inviting players to discover the verbs behind the tools you acquire. That's a really neat idea, especially since I'm guessing most if not all of the items you acquire will have a literal impact on the playspace. I saw one spoilerish use case for the disc which was pretty delightful.

Keep saying it...

Ash

Arcane

Reviews are useless so far. Constant references to a dunkey and Halo 2. Average person is an NPC these days. Sad.

At first glance, it looks like Rain World Light. Is it at least somewhat challenging?

Anyone played this yet? It has rave reviews, 10/10s, but I don't trust 90% of gamers. I don't trust 90% of codexers either, but maybe the 10% will chime in.

Hell Swarm

Learned
18 upcoming 'vanias.

Gestalt: Steam and Cinder is the one I'm looking forward to, it comes out tomorrow.

I tried the Biomorph demo, it's worth playing. Dragon is dead and nine sol (I'm not a furry, fuck you) both look really interesting. It's a shame Blasphemous has ruined the current crop of MVs. They're all blasphemous but you play as an anime girl and that's fucking stupid. Would be nice to get something a bit more light hearted. Mariacha looked neat but the story is so front and center in the trailer I bet it interrupts you a lot and that's one of the reasons I play MVs to avoid.

Machocruz

Arcane
Anyone played this yet? It has rave reviews, 10/10s, but I don't trust 90% of gamers. I don't trust 90% of codexers either, but maybe the 10% will chime in.
Haven't played it, but I've learned that anything furry/anthropomorphic gets automatic 2 extra points at least on Steam reviews, so it's probably a 7 or 8.

Itoh

Literate

Reviews are useless so far. Constant references to a dunkey and Halo 2. Average person is an NPC these days. Sad.

At first glance, it looks like Rain World Light. Is it at least somewhat challenging?

I'm only a few hours in, but: It's 60% puzzles and 40% exploration. There doesn't seem to be any proper combat, the enemies are obstacles to be avoided or overcome by using your items(which so far have been unusual by genre standards, and have multiple applications). It feels like almost every screen has at least one hidden item or passageway. The difficulty curve has been reasonable so far, with simple secrets and puzzles gradually leading to tougher ones, and I imagine the truly bullshit challenges are reserved for the postgame. The game also appears to be almost entirely bug-free. My main criticisms are that the graphical style and sound are just okay, and I don't like that you play as a cute featureless blob; tired of that shit. If you enjoyed La Mulana, you'll probably appreciate Animal Well. Hell, I despised La Mulana and I'm having fun with Animal Well.

Ash

Arcane
Haven't played it, but I've learned that anything furry/anthropomorphic gets automatic 2 extra points at least on Steam reviews, so it's probably a 7 or 8.

Ah yes, I encountered this phenomenon with Cat Quest 2 when looking for a game to play with my girl. Possibly the most retarded, soulless, generic slop I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing, and yet it has "overwhelmingly positive" rating on steam.

Machocruz

Arcane

Ah yes, I encountered this phenomenon with Cat Quest 2 when looking for a game to play with my girl. Possibly the most retarded, soulless, generic slop I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing, and yet it has "overwhelmingly positive" rating on steam.
Oh, RPG maker looking games are another favorite over there btw

Hell Swarm

Learned
Steam reviews are obviously by the people who like that genre. You have to browse through a few of the most recent and see what the negatives say to get an accurate picture. Unless there's a serious issue people who like dumb RPG maker games are going to like dumb RPG maker games and no one else will buy them.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Fortune Summoners. This is a double edged sword if I ever saw one. There is some fun to be had in the gameplay, but at the same time, enemies should not be such huge HP sponges. Music is good, characters are questionable. Overall, an okay experience, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
This is out in about 6 hours.

Looks pretty great. Been watching this one for a few years. Now that it's closer to release and I've looked at more recent gameplay footage, it's the only metroidvania that's caught my eye in a long time.

Retardo

Learned

Its published and promoted by dunkey, dunkey is a full-blown degenerate and mariohead who cant stop sperging about OH MAH GAWD HOW AMAZING IS THIS ANOTHER INSTANCE OF MUHREEWOH. He also likes shitting on actually decent games like yakuza and dragon quest, which, despite being weebshit, are "real" games still, bonus points for staying clear of all that modern faggotry.

So, dunkey is a shithead, and dunkey had his hand in animal well, which means we can deduce that animal well is also shit.
Q.E.D.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Its published and promoted by dunkey, dunkey is a full-blown degenerate and mariohead who cant stop sperging about OH MAH GAWD HOW AMAZING IS THIS ANOTHER INSTANCE OF MUHREEWOH. He also likes shitting on actually decent games like yakuza and dragon quest, which, despite being weebshit, are "real" games still, bonus points for staying clear of all that modern faggotry.
You live up to your name when you list an interactive movie series as "real games" but shit on a 2d platformer. Dunkey is a sperg and obviously he's going to promote games he's publishing. Animal Well didn't look great to me so I'm going to pass on it but you're examples of real games are a joke.

Looks pretty great. Been watching this one for a few years. Now that it's closer to release and I've looked at more recent gameplay footage, it's the only metroidvania that's caught my eye in a long time.

Hate the art style cause I'm not a dog fucker but the game play looks good enough to at least try.

Retardo

Learned
You live up to your name when you list an interactive movie series as "real games" but shit on a 2d platformer. Dunkey is a sperg and obviously he's going to promote games he's publishing. Animal Well didn't look great to me so I'm going to pass on it but you're examples of real games are a joke.

Hate the art style cause I'm not a dog fucker but the game play looks good enough to at least try.

>beat em up with movies like they did in the 00s
>dungeon crawling game with a bit of openworld inbetween
>joke game examples

I'm genuinely amazed.
:hmmm:

Hell Swarm

Learned

>joke game examples

I'm genuinely amazed.

"I was only pretending to be retarded"

Retardo

Learned

>joke game examples

I'm genuinely amazed.

"I was only pretending to be retarded"

Your acting was impeccable, really got me there.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Would Jedi Fallen order and Jedi Survivor count as Metroidvanias? They have all the elements of one, from open ended exploration, item hunting and the whole deal of back tracking to previously unreachable areas with new abilities.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think most people would consider the 2D part pretty important. Though personally I think the key element is a properly open world, where you can acquire new movement abilities in a variety of orders.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't object if someone called them metroidvanias, as they have a lot of the things that qualify. The same goes for Arkham Asylum and Supraland.

Modron

Arcane
They were clearly inspired by and took some design pointers from Metroidvanias but isn't this a bit of a slippery slope is Banjo Kazooie now a Vania?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
They were clearly inspired by and took some design pointers from Metroidvanias but isn't this a bit of a slippery slope is Banjo Kazooie now a Vania?
Is it? I wouldn't say that, as they are more focused on the platforming parts. I'm not saying the ones I mentioned "should" be called metroidvanias, but they have a lot of things that qualify. I still think that 2D is a key component, like Damned Registrations.

When I played Banjo, I never got the "metroidvania" feeling, but I did with the others, so there's that. I guess it's a very personal and subjective thing. In my own head, Fallen Order, Jedi Survivor, Arkham Asylum, and Supraland are "metroidvanias", but I understand why others would disagree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom