Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

MMO/NWN design, where you're picking up +1 and +2 items until they feel like garbage, ruins so many settings.
The Goldbox games did this long before NWN or MMOs. +2 weapons/armor drop after just about every fight past the first dungeon in Curse of the Azure Bonds. There are so many, I gave up even bothering to check the loot after every fight, let alone pick any of it up. Having played all of the modern D&D titles from 1998-2007 and now diving into the earlier stuff, it seems BG1/IWD designs were the outliers for how they dealt with dispensing loot. NwN is the norm.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Adventure module B1 In Search of the Unknown, by Mike Carr, has a treasure list of 34 entries (of which about 20 should be selected by the Dungeon Master) with a mace +1, spear +2 (!), shield +1, chain mail +1, and ring of protection +1; there is also a possibility of randomly acquiring a dagger +1 or ring of protection +1 from treasure found in a drawer (1/12 probability for each).

Adventure module B2 The Keep on the Borderlands, by Gary Gygax, has many +1 (or even +2) magical weapons/armor among the inhabitants of the keep itself, though these generally wouldn't be acquired by the PCs, as well as a shield +1, dagger +1, ring of protection +1, another shield +1, hand-axe +1, 6 arrows +1, another dagger +1, another hand-axe +1, a third shield +1, spear +1 (wielded by the minotaur), plate mail +1 (part of the minotaur's treasure), a fourth shield +1 and second plate mail +1 (both equipped by the evil priest), and finally a sword +2 (requires defeat of a wight).

:M

Krivol

Magister
I think itemization in BG1 is great - if you are metagaming, you will flow with the best gear, but if you play it for the first time every magical item will be a big deal.

Damn, if you do not abuse money tricks (buy only when your rep is 20, sell and steal the best gear etc) even +1 items are nice to find as they sell for A LOT more gold than regular items.

I generally have more gold than I can spend in BG1 even without engaging in thievery. Outside of Thunderhammer Smithy's couple of items in Beregost and the TotSC merchant in Ulgoth's Beard, I can't say I really buy items. It mostly comes down to scrolls at Sorcerous Sundries, though I have learned to indulge and buy all of the awesomely powerful Arrows of Dispelling and Explosion. Maybe a few priest scrolls or major potions (Gaze Reflection, Insulation, Magic Blocking, etc). I will say that doing a no-reload challenge make money far more useful in this regard. Instead of getting hoarded, powerful consumables get used and even purchased. It also encourages buying that decent item at the shop, even if you know it will be replaced.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Zed, this is completely useless if you don't provide further context about those locations.
I referenced the first two adventure modules in the B series for 'basic' non-advanced Dungeons & Dragons; these were the only two ever written for Holmes 'blue book' basic D&D, being released in 1979 and 1980, and they were both revised slightly the following year for Moldvay/Cook B/X Dungeons & Dragons. Both modules are extremely well known, particularly Gygax's The Keep on the Borderlands, and they're both written for characters of levels 1 to 3 (module B2 suggests in the interior text that it is specifically designed for first-level PCs), with B1 written for a smaller party of 3 to 6 characters and B2 written for a larger party of 6 to 9 characters.

For another example, adventure module B5 The Horror on the Hill, was published in 1983 for Mentzer BECMI Dungeons & Dragons, similarly intended for 5 to 10 characters of levels 1 to 3. Treasure includes a dagger +2, shield +1, one arrow +1, a second shield +1, a battleaxe +1, a shortsword +1, a ring of protection +1, a spear +1, leather armor +1, a shortsword +2, a sword +1, plate mail +1, a shield +2, a shortsword +2, five arrows +2, a second suit of plate mail +1, a sword +1 (+3 versus dragons), and a second ring of protection +1 (not counting a ring of protection +3 worn by an NPC who the party wouldn't be expected to kill).

1mjD57w.png

You don't need items, just spam fireball off screen.
Not if you're using SCS, ToB, or the EEs. This is also amateur. Project Image then have that illusion cast Wizard Eye. You can take on the whole map for the cost of a spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom