Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rpgcodex > the threads can be improved by adding more replies

CryptRat
CryptRat
Nice, 3 of those 4 games I completed quite recently, clearly one common thing which makes them fun is the need to rely on your own taken notes to advance, while Curse of the Azure Bonds I may play sooner or later since my party is ready to move on from Pool Of Radiance.
newtmonkey
newtmonkey
Interesting! I'd like to hear your thoughts on the games you've completed.
Lurking is amazing, it's like stumbling upon some old DOS RPG I missed back in the day. Do you have any hints about character development? There's no info out there on this game, so I just went with my old RPG knowhow and tried to make a balanced party. I wasn't sure whether to focus more on attributes or skills.
Strange Fellow
Strange Fellow
I started that one recently too. Since there's five skills and five party members the chargen wasn't particularly agonizing. Focusing on attributes seems like a good idea though given that NPCs tell you you can upgrade skills whenever, but attributes only by finding special pools, so they'll probably be harder to raise at first. At least that's how I understood it.
CryptRat
CryptRat
You'll have no problem either way, there are only a few bosses and you'll manage to beat those with some levels. At worse you probably need one guy who can play music and one to cast spells not to get stuck, I can't remember exactly. But yes, the world and the quest are great.
CryptRat
CryptRat
I was also impressed by how good the world and quest in Dragon Warrior II are, all the puzzles you'll need to solve based on what people in towns tell you, with good balance between directly key items and strong equipment, the game is really fun to solve.
newtmonkey
newtmonkey
DW2 is a old favorite of mine, I completed it back when it was released in the US and then again several times after. It's just a favorite of mine I keep going back to for some reason lol. People seem to hate it now, so I think it's a bit underrated for a JRPG. I especially like how it becomes nonlinear for the second half.
newtmonkey
newtmonkey
As for Lurking, thanks to both Strange Fellow and CryptRat for your information. I do have a music-focused character and magic-focused character, so I guess I don't have too much to worry about haha. It seems more like Ultima V to me than Ultima III, but I guess it's just splitting hairs. Why didn't the Lurking games get covered by RPG Codex though? Very disappointed.
newtmonkey
newtmonkey
Also, I just want to say, you are two of the best posters on this site. Perhaps it's the rum talking. Sometimes it feels like wading through shit to find a diamond on this site.
Strange Fellow
Strange Fellow
Would take too much attention away from Outer Worlds patchnotes

Edit: aw thanks, you too. As it happens you and CryptRat are actually both in my Lurking party. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom