Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

10 minutes of The Witcher 2 gameplay

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitche ... of-kings-1

- 'For people who found combat too hardcore in Witcher 1, there's easy difficulty. Others will be more complex'
- Ironman mode unlocked after finishing the game on hard (ffs)
- Pop-up wheel menu (FFS)
- Looks like there's magic friendly fire among enemies?
- Bombs/items/grenades are supposed to be important and provide cool effects (like show here, a bomb paralyses some git, and G instakills him with a speed kill)
- Loot, loot, loot, loot! (Whem compared to Witcher 1 there's a lot more gear to find)
- No active pause. Firing up the wheel menu gives 'bullet time', so you need to think quickly to use an item/power/whatever in combat
- P. cool finishing moves.
- The world looks a lot more open than TW1, I guess
- The guy playing this looks completely inept
- A lot bigger focus on 'clue-finding' when it comes to monster-hunting. What you know/read/find out will influence quests in which you have to hunt 'big stuff' down. There's even a 'knowledge' branch in character customization.
- Cool scene of physics going wonky in the eleventh minute :M
- Much potato.

Looks p. cool if they don't fuck it up much :thumbsup:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher2/video/6298296/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-daily-demo-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-1

- 'For people who found combat too hardcore in Witcher 1, there's easy difficulty. Others will be more complex'
- Bombs/items/grenades are supposed to be important and provide cool effects (like show here, a bomb paralyses some git, and G instakills him with a speed kill)
- Loot, loot, loot, loot! (Whem compared to Witcher 1 there's a lot more gear to find)
- No active pause. Firing up the wheel menu gives 'bullet time', so you need to think quickly to use an item/power/whatever in combat
- A lot bigger focus on 'clue-finding' when it comes to monster-hunting. What you know/read/find out will influence quests in which you have to hunt 'big stuff' down. There's even a 'knowledge' branch in character customization.
- Much potato.

"We even have rarity system!"
"We even have crafting!"

I love how he makes shit that's been in almost every rpg made in the past 20 years sound like NEW AND EXCITING FEATURES.

And the combat looks shit. Standard RPGified hack and slash. Why can't RPG developers play some good non-RPG hack and slash games then EMULATE THEM. Having stat based combat does not mean that everything has to look clunky and retarded. FFS.

Black

Arcane
Camera worked like shit, protect Racofer-kun.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I just hope you can bind abilities and spells to a button so you dont have to open the damn slow down window every time (clearly made for consoles)

Also yes the camera was bad...

And could not care about the"omg look at the awsome kill move" that the character spend 3-8sec doing. Im playing a game not watching a movie =/

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Kaldurenik said:
I just hope you can bind abilities and spells to a button so you dont have to open the damn slow down window every time (clearly made for consoles)

I think he mentioned abilities being hotkeyed at one point?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Combat looks like the same running around in circles as per Witcher 1. Not that I minded the combat in Witcher 1 so much. Slowing-down time while in a menu rather than out-right pausing looked interesting...

tindrli

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher2/video/6298296/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-daily-demo-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-1

- Much potato.

at least they included more loot :M

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
Kaldurenik said:

I think he mentioned abilities being hotkeyed at one point?

Well that is good then!

Now my one last 2 wishes is that they improved the inventory system and allow the option to read the entire text when selecting something to say :'(

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The combat and running animations are vastly improved. The game reminds me of Gothic 3/Risen which is good.
I didn't like the block animation though, the way Geralt reacts when being hit is fake.
The slow motion gimmick seems useless, i want my good old pause feature back.

catfood

AGAIN
I heard this terrible rumor that sex cards are out IS THIS TRUE??!?!??!1

Ironman mode unlocked after finishing the game on hard (ffs)

This condition will most likely be removed in the first patch. I believe they have it initially so that profeshunnel gaem journalists don't turn it on by mistake and then complain about how the game doesen't even allow you to save!

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Mastermind said:
"We even have rarity system!"
"We even have crafting!"

I love how he makes shit that's been in almost every rpg made in the past 20 years sound like NEW AND EXCITING FEATURES.

Compared to the first game. Didn't he like mentioned this every fucking time?

But denying combat is h'n's and that it's oh so sophisticated, uses different tactics is pretty funny, yes.
And all this talk about how gathering information is important to beat monstars...

Gonna play this nevertheless, but all this consolization will probably make me gnash my teeth.

Also, raping lore part two. Fireballs? Seriously?
(yes I'm butthurt about that)

made

Arcane
DraQ said:
I'm more concerned about more loot, it has potential for totally breaking the atmosphere.
Retards citied lack of epix as one of TW's shortcomings, remember? Maybe CDP are smart enough to keep it mostly cosmetic.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Yeah, I know. My bad.

Witcher is one of few things I can go apeshit.

DraQ

Arcane
made said:
DraQ said:
I'm more concerned about more loot, it has potential for totally breaking the atmosphere.
Retards citied lack of epix as one of TW's shortcomings, remember?
Retards should get stabbed to death with erect dicks.

+20 longswords of fiery farts don't belong in mah Witcher.
:x

I sincerely hope that at least one of the possible paths through dragon encounter mentioned much much earlier will be consistent with Geralt's stance in books and with delightful twists from the first game vampiric whores FTW.
Otherwise there will be much butthurt and nerdrage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom