Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview special: 2 in 1 news post!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<b>ExMonk</b> has informed us that two <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> interviews are available for your viewing pleasure:
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.xboxgamers.com/index.php?do=viewarticle&id=2183>XboxGamers interview</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>How does it feel to be developing one of the fore-front Xbox 360 titles?</b>
<br>
It’s nice to get that kind of recognition, to be able to show your game to folks and have them tap it as one of the big games they have to have for the new console. We know what we expect of ourselves and this game, and I think if we keep doing what we’re doing it’ll be as great as we expect it to be, and everyone hopes it will.
<br>
<br>
<b>Do you think we will be seeing much more Xbox 360 titles from you guys?</b>
<br>
Definitely. We have a number of things in the works already. We’ll let you know when we’re ready to talk about them.</blockquote>Fallout 3: A post-nuclear Xbox adventure!
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/11/09/elder_scrolls_4_int/1.html>BitTech interview</a>
<br>
<blockquote><b>The Xbox processor will be multiple core, which at the time of Morrowind (2002) was a nearly unthinkable idea for a gaming PC or console. However, by the release of ES4: Oblivion (now 2006), the Pentium-D and Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors will be even more common place. The Pentium-D EE even features hyperthreading on each core! Will Oblivion be written to make use of these new features on the PC? If so, have you determined how threads will be divided (by class, like AI, physics, etc, or by immediate priority where physics could dominate two threads if little AI is present)?</b>
<br>
<br>
Oblivion will absolutely benefit from a multi-processor or multi-core PC architecture. These improvements have largely been driven by our optimizations for the Xbox 360 hardware. We have built a dynamic thread management system that manages processor load by our specific direction and by priorities. Portions of physics, AI, loading, audio, and rendering tasks can all be moved to different threads to keep the overall load balanced. The net result for the end user is a smoother experience.</blockquote>Awesome. Whatever he's talking about.
<br>
<br>
<br>

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Well, for those not familiar with TES lore, how would YOU describe Daedra in one word?

Micmu

Magister
But not all Daedra are demon-like (chaotic & evil) and lore describes them as powerful ancestors, "ascended" beings in their own realm(s), not as infernal creatures.

Well, difficult in one word, true.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, if they were infernal - wouldn't they be referred to as devils?" Demons" sounds ok to me if you're looking for a single word to explain what the Daedra is, basically, if by demon you mean seriously un-human.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Does it have to be in one word and why? You see, that what happens when you dumb games down. You start by removing a few things here and there, and end up communicating with your fanbase with grunts and one-word sentences. :wink:

Chefe

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Does it have to be in one word and why? You see, that what happens when you dumb games down. You start by removing a few things here and there, and end up communicating with your fanbase with grunts and one-word sentences. :wink:

Cave Gamer: December Issue

Oog, Mog here, oog oh owg Oblivion! Ooa ao dooh demons oog oog hell ahg owg oog Doom 3? Oogh awhg Patrick Stewart. Ghhaw goo ah laoo big swords oog oog delayed!

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Chefe said:
Vault Dweller said:

Oog, Mog here, oog oh owg Oblivion! Ooa ao dooh demons oog oog hell ahg owg oog Doom 3? Oogh awhg Patrick Stewart. Ghhaw goo ah laoo big swords oog oog delayed!

oog ooog soil erosion oog oog?

Micmu

Magister
Soil erosion & Jean-Luc were not mentioned!
But that question about stealth benefits on 360 (!) was funny. Awesome dark powers of 360.

Chefe

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
Chefe said:
Vault Dweller said:

oog ooog soil erosion oog oog?

awooh aog goog gah Radiant AI! oog oog

whitemithrandir

Erudite
micmu said:
But that question about stealth benefits on 360 (!) was funny. Awesome dark powers of 360.

I GOT IT!!!! The emperor gets killed by SOIL EROSION!!!! Soil Erosion is clearly the "twist" villain of Oblivion, revealed through a clever series of flashbacks halfway through the game, after you defeat the main daedra boss, who YOU THINK killed the emperor. Man, I'm good.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:

I know you're joking around, but I'll answer anyway. It was one word because the question wasn't about "What are Daedra?", it was about what types of creatures there'd be in the game. Since those unfamiliar with TES lore would have no idea what a "Daedra" is -- seeing as how we made the word up -- saying that they're basically demons is a very quick, concise way of putting them into a frame of reference that those unfamiliar with TES lore would understand. Or are you saying that anyone unfamiliar with TES lore is dumb? ;)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
micmu said:

I GOT IT!!!! The emperor gets killed by SOIL EROSION!!!! Soil Erosion is clearly the "twist" villain of Oblivion, revealed through a clever series of flashbacks halfway through the game, after you defeat the main daedra boss, who YOU THINK killed the emperor. Man, I'm good.

These soil erssion jokes are getting worse by the hour.

MSFD, VD has a point there. How about a nice short interesting background story on the codex to get some of the unwashed masses to appreciate the lore?

Chefe

Erudite
Because doing a major site information update, ESPECIALLY on an element of gameplay or game world like the Elder Scrolls codex, is against their policies and/or their religion. You should know that!

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I know you're joking around, but I'll answer anyway.
Thank you. You are a scholar and a gentleman!

It was one word because the question wasn't about "What are Daedra?", it was about what types of creatures there'd be in the game. Since those unfamiliar with TES lore would have no idea what a "Daedra" is -- seeing as how we made the word up -- saying that they're basically demons is a very quick, concise way of putting them into a frame of reference that those unfamiliar with TES lore would understand. Or are you saying that anyone unfamiliar with TES lore is dumb? ;)
I see. Well, that makes sense, I suppose. I noticed many other words that may or may not make sense to uninitiated, so I'll fix it right here. No need to thank me.

Well, outside of the main quest (task) there are all kinds of things you can do. There are four (4) different guilds (clans) you can join and rise to the head of: mages, fighters, thieves, and dark brotherhood (killerz 4 life). There’s an Arena circuit (circle) you can join and fight in as a gladiator (fighter), or you can just go there and watch fights and bet on them. There are over 200 dungeons (dark rooms) you can go out and explore and loot (get things for free). There are miscellaneous (small) quests (tasks) all over the world. Basically it’s like a big fantasy (make believe) sandbox for you to jump into and experience however you like.

Balor

Arcane
Why, demons are evil, but, like I've mentioned, evil is so subjective that I consider Satan much more appealing then God.
I'm talking of archetypes, of course, not that I consider them real entities.

For instance, if everything was as God wanted, we'd be happily skulking around in Eden, naked, oblivious to Good and Evil altogether - therefore, doing both with equal ease (Taken right from the bible, btw).
And surely if religions had it's way, we'd not have computers, planes and stuff - cause everything divine is ANTI-progress.
Order (divine) == simplicity, lack of any change (and lack of change means stagnation and regress, as everyone understands).
Chaos (demonic) == complexity, constant change.

Human - mix of all above, cause we will not be able to live in absolute chaos, or absolute order (think crystal at 0K)

So, it can be ok to call dremora demons. Demonic entities not simply mindless destroyers.

http://maledictum.com/eng.htm ;)

Fresh

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I know you're joking around, but I'll answer anyway.
Thank you. You are a scholar and a gentleman!

It was one word because the question wasn't about "What are Daedra?", it was about what types of creatures there'd be in the game. Since those unfamiliar with TES lore would have no idea what a "Daedra" is -- seeing as how we made the word up -- saying that they're basically demons is a very quick, concise way of putting them into a frame of reference that those unfamiliar with TES lore would understand. Or are you saying that anyone unfamiliar with TES lore is dumb? ;)
I see. Well, that makes sense, I suppose. I noticed many other words that may or may not make sense to uninitiated, so I'll fix it right here. No need to thank me.

Well, outside of the main quest (task) there are all kinds of things you can do. There are four (4) different guilds (clans) you can join and rise to the head of: mages, fighters, thieves, and dark brotherhood (killerz 4 life). There’s an Arena circuit (circle) you can join and fight in as a gladiator (fighter), or you can just go there and watch fights and bet on them. There are over 200 dungeons (dark rooms) you can go out and explore and loot (get things for free). There are miscellaneous (small) quests (tasks) all over the world. Basically it’s like a big fantasy (make believe) sandbox for you to jump into and experience however you like.

Hahaha, that made me laugh.

Gwendo

Augur
Balor said:
Why, demons are evil, but, like I've mentioned, evil is so subjective that I consider Satan much more appealing then God.
I'm talking of archetypes, of course, not that I consider them real entities.

Heretic! Games and movies start showing the "good" side of evil, making almost mandatory for baddies being more atractive than goodies. That's all a conspiration to make people think like you! "Satan rulez!" :P

For instance, if everything was as God wanted, we'd be happily skulking around in Eden, naked, oblivious to Good and Evil altogether - therefore, doing both with equal ease (Taken right from the bible, btw).

How can something pure and innocent make evil things, even by accident? Most things we are we learn, don't born with. Genetics are a good factor, but then (Eden), genes were perfect with no errors or "bad genes". That's why brothers could marry then, btw. :P

And surely if religions had it's way, we'd not have computers, planes and stuff - cause everything divine is ANTI-progress.

Totally wrong. Sure there was a certain religion that castrated science in a certain period, but religion in general supports progress and science: to know more about the universe God made. Anyway, history show that some of the biggest genius, scientists/philosophers (philosophy is science's father, btw), were religious. Cristian, most of them. And being religious didn't stop them from being good scientist and give great contributions to science. Religion is as anti-progress/science as atheísm is. :cool:

Order (divine) == simplicity, lack of any change (and lack of change means stagnation and regress, as everyone understands).
Chaos (demonic) == complexity, constant change.

Order: life forms, materials (planets, stars, etc).
Chaos: desintegration, death, simplicity (as complexity requires order).

Anyway, order and chaos complete eachother, so we can say order=good and chaos=evil. :idea:

Gwendo

Augur
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Well, for those not familiar with TES lore, how would YOU describe Daedra in one word?

Hummm.... Can't it be two words?

Balor

Arcane
No way.
Something that is orderly - is something that is predictable, unchanging, easily described.
Streamlined, simplified... dumbed down.

Chaos is something that is ever-changing and complex...

Anyway, pure order is lifeless crystal.
Pure chaos is raging inferno... both cases are killer for mortal men.

Yet, when you combine them, we have world we behold.
Remember, to make a beautiful statue you must take a rock and chop away unneeded stone.

Order is that rock.
Chaos is the chisel.

Santera

Novice
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I suppose that smth like "inhabitants of the other dimension" is better.
But the word "demon" is not bad taking into account that Daedra some times were referred as demons in the Lore books or in-game . For ex. - "Herma-Mora (The Woodland Man): Ancient Atmoran demon ..." or " Mephala is the demon of murder, sex, and secrets." and so on.

Chefe

Erudite
I'm pretty chaotic, I think. That might just be the schizophrenia kicking in again though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom