Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #7: On Damage and Repairs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes

After a week of social media tomfoolery during which it reached its final Stage 2 stretch goal and over $1.6M of funding, the BattleTech Kickstarter campaign finally has a new update worth posting news about. Like last Friday's update, it introduces a gameplay element Harebrained Schemes would like to implement for the Stage 3 expanded mercenary campaign. Namely, an intricate battlefield damage and repair system. I quote:

Even during the midst of battle, the back of every mercenary commander’s mind is running a constant tabulation of the return on investment for that mission. Things may be looking good, but in the instant it takes for a PPC to arc across the battlefield, those projected profits can turn to guaranteed losses based upon the damage inflicted on the commander’s BattleMechs.

One of the design goals of the Stage 3 Extended Mercenary Campaign that we’re most excited about is the player’s balancing act between reputation and economic reality - and the fulcrum of that balance is often the damage taken on the battlefield.

Every ton of armor and every internal component of a ‘Mech can be damaged or destroyed and that damage will persist until repaired (or until the entire component is replaced.)

So although your mercenary contract fee is established before a mission begins, the cost of executing that mission is variable largely based upon the amount of damage your ‘Mechs and MechWarriors took in accomplishing it.

Returning from a mission, you now face a choice - how do you want to address the damage your ‘Mechs have received? While the diverse skills of your MechWarriors have a large impact on your battlefield success, it is your MechTechs that will determine the cost and time of repairs, and the options you may have in refitting your 'Mechs.

Below are some of the options we’d like you to have, depending on your MechTechs, reputation, and your financial situation. (As always - keep in mind that this is our current thinking, and that over the course of development we will explore the fun of these design concepts and determine how deep each of these systems should be.)
  • Do Nothing: Sometimes, it just doesn’t make financial sense to repair a component right away, or at all. You can always choose to send ‘Mechs into battle with damaged or even broken components.
  • Repair it: The number and experience level of the MechTechs in your outfit will determine the cost and duration of component repairs.
  • Jury-Rig it: You may be able to have your Mech-Techs jury-rig a component, getting it back in working order quickly and less-expensively, but at the cost of some reliability.
  • Replace it with a New Component: Just as most current automobiles are constructed from parts manufactured around the world, most ‘Mechs are constructed with components manufactured across the Inner Sphere. Not all parts may be available in all areas of the Inner Sphere, but if you can find a new part, your MechTechs can install it.
  • Replace it with a Salvaged Component: Since you may not always have access to new components, salvage may sometimes be your only source for working parts. But salvage may also be your best source - because if a salvaged component is sufficiently old enough, its technology and manufacturing methodologies mean that it may outperform current day new components.
Sometimes, it may even be wisest to withdraw from the field entirely before a mission is complete. It’s a tough choice to make - whether to cut your loses and preserve your Lance in better fighting shape for the next mission at the expense of your Mercenary Outfit’s reputation. Or you stick it out till the end, claiming payment and the reputation boost accompanying it - regardless of the larger financial fallout it may cause the Outfit.

One of our design goals for the game is that a successful Mercenary campaign doesn’t have to be an unbroken string of victories - it’s possible to abandon or lose missions as well as complete them. We’ll be striving to balance the game appropriately and ensure that losses can be bounced back from if you’re able to adapt your approach. (This will be particularly engaging for Ironman mode, which is something we’re all very excited about allowing as an option for this game.)

Our goal is for you to face a variety of complex Mercenary outfit management choices like this - where there’s not always a right answer - over the course of the Stage 3 extended campaign. After all, “heavy is the head that wears the crown” - and as the leader of your own Mercenary outfit, that crown’s on your head.​

Very cool. More updates like this one, please!

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you ever sleep?

I'm not gonna lie, when I joined this forum, at first I thought that Infinitron was an admin account used by multiple people to post news under the same user for reasons of management. But looks like he is just awesome.

Vociferon

Novice
Any info on how they are going to avoid the pit of savescumming that can (and will) make this potentially interesting mech management feature useless?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any info on how they are going to avoid the pit of savescumming that can (and will) make this potentially interesting mech management feature useless?

Savescumming for what? Even if the game copy-pastes Shadowrun's AI I don't think you're going to be able to get through fights without taking any damage.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck off with this Josh Sawyer savescumming bullshit! I'm fed up with people whining about savescumming. If someone wants to savescumm, let them, but don't make up silly game mechanics just to prevent it.

Vociferon

Novice
I'm not whining about it for the sake of whining, because I too like managing my ingame resources, that's part of the fun; I'm just interested to see this mechanic actually work, precisely what HBS are going to do about it.

Savescumming for what? Even if the game copy-pastes Shadowrun's AI I don't think you're going to be able to get through fights without taking any damage.

Challenge accepted :D

Last edited:

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Happy to see this Kickstarter campaign on their way to stage 3. I'm sorry to say I hope they never make it to stage 4 though, because I'd hate to see time and resources wasted on PVP multiplayer.

Replace it with a Salvaged Component: Since you may not always have access to new components, salvage may sometimes be your only source for working parts. But salvage may also be your best source - because if a salvaged component is sufficiently old enough, its technology and manufacturing methodologies mean that it may outperform current day new components.

Interesting. So parts will have different quality levels? Can't want to pick up some artifact ER Laser +5s.

Normally armor is pretty cheap and in high supply, if you can avoid critical system damage you're almost as well off as taking no damage at all. At least this was how it worked in Mech 2/3

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Fuck off with this Josh Sawyer savescumming bullshit! I'm fed up with people whining about savescumming. If someone wants to savescumm, let them, but don't make up silly game mechanics just to prevent it.

No! No! You are just wrong. You have to waste time to make pleople play they way you want them to play.

Darkzone

Arcane
Infinitron's a news golem :M.

As long as EMETh is correct, everything is ok. But if it is not, then we have to destroy him by erasing letters to METh.
Infinitron should be forbidden to enter the Codex on Saturday and Sunday, and someone has to remove the paper with the shem on friday from him (Or does he have a seal of solomon on him?), before he goes on a codex rampage.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech

Make Iron Man the only available play mode.

:hmmm:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He's a news golem :M

Also I quite like what they wrote here, plenty of choices and risk-management for your mech repairing.

9th secret of the Codex is that Infinitron is a strong artificial intelligence distilled from the consciousness of Edward R. Murrow, Carl Berstein, and Jon Stewart. The three personalities work very similarly to the Magi Computer System in Neon Genesis Evangelion, with votes of 2 on 1 between personalities deciding moral and logical dilemmas.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No one cares about Battletech, we want news on their GOOD game: Necropolis!

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

What made your opinion change? I remember that you were a vociferous member of the Sawyerite cult?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What made your opinion change? I remember that you were a vociferous member of the Sawyerite cult?
You either confuse me with Roguey, or you think that just because I said that PoE is quite good, I think that every decision of Josh was good.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will I be able, like in the first Mercenaries, to hire a support pilot, scraping together all my monies,
for the Ace of Aces, with a heavy bomber, scumming on repairs for my lance, to see him crash
into a mountain, the first minute of a mission? Because that was hilarious.

Running to the exfil zone with shot reactor armour? Kinderkram! Start the mission with shot down reactor armour.
Looking forward to starting my first game in Iron Man mode, skipping tutorials, manuals and cursing much!:obviously:

edit:
Put down some potatoes for great codex mechwarrior justice.

Last edited:
I want to pilot a Mad Cat. Can somebody go to 3050 and bring one back for me?

(the Clan invasion was really the most exciting period of time in Battletech history -- I'm a little sad they won't be included, but at least we have something for the inevitable sequels).

I...I actually agree with you. The day has come.

FmYjcHVh.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom