Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NieR: Automata Coming To PC in Early 2017

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: NieR: Automata; PlatinumGames; Square Enix

It's been a while since there has been any worthwhile PC JRPG news, which is, of course, what I'm here for. Today, however, I have the best news - news of the year - for those of you who care not only about Gamescom or how we were put on inXile/Techland's black list.

Namely, NieR: Automata, the action-RPG sequel to the 2010 cult-classic NieR developed by Platinum Games, directed by Taro Yoko and published by Square Enix, has been confirmed as coming to PC (Steam) in addition to PS4 in "early 2017." This was apparently announced in IGN's Gamescom stream, but it's now on Facebook too. Here's the excerpt from the stream that concerns the PC announcement, featuring the ever masked Taro Yoko:

Gotta love how he's pronouncing "Valve". Here's a gif of the announcement, too.

You can also watch IGN's Gamescom interview with the team here. It also includes the latest trailer for the game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For the moment I though Talu messed with forum under influence of kangaroospiders' urine and put jRPG on top.

Sprout

Educated
I have never heard of this...

Fake edit:
]9MZ8UU_9dG8

Uh... okay, pass.

I do realize that you're just dicking around, but watching footage from the relevant game comes recommended. Despite the horrendous gameplay of nier and its predecessor series (drakengard), there's a cult following surrounding the crazy bullshit that goes on in those games. The difference this time is that it's being developed by Platinum (of the bayonetta fame), yet still written by the same guy. So if you happen to be into action oriented gameplay or crazy bullshit, might be something to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The difference this time is that it's being developed by Platinum (of the bayonetta fame), yet still written by the same guy. So if you happen to be into action oriented gameplay or crazy bullshit, might be something to keep an eye out for.

At first I was worried b/c it was a different studio. Now that I know this, it sounds like it may have the strengths of the original (crazy bullshit) without the weaknesses (mediocre combat). Exciting.

Septaryeth

Augur
I do realize that you're just dicking around, but watching footage from the relevant game comes recommended. Despite the horrendous gameplay of nier and its predecessor series (drakengard), there's a cult following surrounding the crazy bullshit that goes on in those games. The difference this time is that it's being developed by Platinum (of the bayonetta fame), yet still written by the same guy. So if you happen to be into action oriented gameplay or crazy bullshit, might be something to keep an eye out for.

What is the appeal of this game?

Not trolling, just curious. I've tried reading up the wikipedia for a short summary of its story and it's a bit :prosper:.

It's really confusing so correct me if I got it wrong.

Apparently Drakengard is set in a dark fantasy setting and NieR is a spin off where a more modern alternative reality were invaded by the magical monsters and disease from Drakengard.
Human in that reality either died due to the disease or used their advanced technology to split their bodies and souls into what are known as Replicates and Gestalts/Shades.
This new game is set in a world after the events of NieR. It has humans (I thought they were extinct?) fighting machinoid zombies and migrating to the moon.

Granted, the multiple endings and changing to your enemies' perspectives are rather neat.
But just trying to get my head around the timeline of events is giving me a headache...

GrainWetski

Arcane
I have never heard of this...

Fake edit:

Uh... okay, pass.

It's like Witcher 3 in that the writing is the only good thing about it

What is the appeal of this game?

Hopefully having Platinum in charge of combat makes it a game with good combat AND writing, something that is obviously beyond rare.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The dev (or to be more precise, producer + composer) interview is also available on youtube now - also includes the trailer:

This new game is set in a world after the events of NieR. It has humans (I thought they were extinct?)

According to the interview, it's the same universe but not a direct sequel. There is no "direct connection," as they put it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom