Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Expeditions: Viking

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

Tomorrow begins the beta of Expeditions: Viking, sequel to 2013's Expeditions: Conquistador and one of next year's most anticipated indie RPGs. You may have noticed that various websites have been publishing previews of the game over the past few weeks. The RPG Codex was also offered an Expeditions: Viking preview key, but with November's RPG releases looming ahead we weren't sure what to do with it. It was former Codex collaborator Bubbles who felt that it was important that we make use of what we were offered, and one of his final actions was the recruitment of esteemed community member Abu Antar, who is a big fan Expeditions: Conquistador, to write our preview. His impressions? In short, he found Viking to be a bit better than Conquistador in some ways, a bit worse in other ways, but it's really too early to tell. Tomorrow we'll all know more, but for now, have a snippet:

Expeditions: Viking begins with a feast. Your father has passed away and you are to become the new chieftain. Some runts come in to interrupt the event, and you have to choose how to deal with the situation. This introduction eases you into the game’s mechanics and demonstrates some of the things you can expect to see throughout the game.

The game begins with a few fairly easy fights to help you get the hang of how combat works. Things get a bit more challenging later on, but I never saw a Game Over screen. Most encounters consist of six or so enemies pitted against five of your chosen soldiers and your main character. You'll have to be careful how you approach a fight in the first few encounters after the tutorial or you will end up with dead team members fairly quickly. Try to bide your time or find cover. Archers are deadly, especially with their aimed shot ability that significantly raises accuracy.

The game's first few fights were the most challenging for me, because I didn't know what to expect. Once I had fought a few battles however, there weren't many fights that gave me any trouble. I can't really say that any of the game's scripted story battles were spectacular, but they were decent enough. You'll have enemies coming at you from different directions, and in some battles you'll start out in the open and have to try to find cover or the enemy archers will whittle down your hit points bit by bit. There was one battle that I particularly liked which I couldn't beat on my first try. Coming back to it later, I realized that I had to be more careful with how I advanced towards the enemy, making proper use of cover.

The battles I didn't enjoy were the ones you fight at campsites when you rest on the world map. Almost all of these battles are identical and they're not very challenging. This was something I had hoped would be improved from the previous game. It's more of a waste of time than a real challenge.

While I did enjoy Conquistador a lot, its combat encounters became repetitive pretty quickly because there weren't many enemy types to deal with and the combat maps were forgettable. Viking improves on this somewhat with its story battles, which are fought directly on the detailed 3D maps that you explore, but I think encounter design could still be improved a bit more.

[...] If a character falls in combat, they become injured but are not permanently gone. (Similarly, you can also lose your entire party without losing the game, although this never actually happened to me.) While camping, you can heal your wounded characters' injuries using medicine. Wounds to different body parts will cause different types of penalties specific to the body part. For example, a groin injury lowers movement range, while arm injuries lower strength. In my game, my character suffered a light puncture wound, and therefore lost two points of Strength before I healed her.

One thing particularly worth noting is that your injuries deteriorate over time. This can cause a wound to go from light all the way up to lethal (there are five stages before you get to the most dangerous phase of an injury). If you go beyond that, your character will incur a permanent stat loss or even risk permanent death. This is basically the only way to lose a character forever. As your wounds go from light to moderate and so on, the deterioration chance increases. In other words, you need to keep a close look at the injuries your characters sustain in order to manage the deterioration. A character can have more than one wounded body part, making it important to choose which injuries are healed and when.

In addition to wounds, your characters also suffer from hunger. Hunger can sated by eating either meat or rations (which can be created from meat with the right set of skills). Meat is more filling than rations, but it deteriorates over time, so proper resource management is key.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Preview: Expeditions: Viking

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks to both of you. God knows it needed some editing, but everything I wanted to convey is there.

The game was fun to play but the change of the way exploration works was a letdown. I loved exploring the world in the first game. It's a shame they had to remove that aspect of the game and instead have a 2D map. It was still a fun game that I feel I can add to my personal list of incline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atomical Avonaeon Will the preview version turn into the beta version you're giving to all newsletter susbcribers tomorrow, or will it stay the same until release? I understand they're different Steam apps.

Quillon

Arcane
The 3D view is isometric, which works fine for seeing the battlefield and executing your moves. You can rotate the camera 360 degrees and zoom in and out.

So the camera is not tiltable up&down? Dat verticality I've seen in some gameplay vids made my head hurt, just like WL2's angle-tied-to-zoom-cam did to some extend.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Bit concerned about the content quality after reading that. The CYOA scenes were indeed one of the best bits about Conquistador, and helped illustrate the different flavor.

I've always been a bit concerned about big changes to the E:C formula. Vikings definitely looks way better and I will probably prefer the more Baldur's Gate like exploration .... anyway we'll see how we go.

I guess I'll get a chance to check it out over the Christmas break.

Cadmus

Arcane
Hm it actually sounds pretty disappointing to me. How is the skill point distribution? Is there still this A team B team dynamic where you level two squads so that one can rest and one can fight at all times or all characters even inactive ones get all points as the devs said?
Is it historical or fantastic?
I liked the writing in the first one, it was short and flavoured, does this hold up?
All the changes you mentioned don't sound too good and dude, if it's 3D it's probably not isometric.

I agree with Sensuki, I really liked the first game and I've been worried what will they do to this one.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Atomical Avonaeon Will the preview version turn into the beta version you're giving to all newsletter susbcribers tomorrow, or will it stay the same until release? I understand they're different Steam apps.

The first campaign will be part of the beta, as well as a part of the second campaign.

It looks like a Perspective camera from the videos I've seen.
It's indeed perspective, and the angle is tied to the zoom, as mentioned.

Hm it actually sounds pretty disappointing to me. How is the skill point distribution? Is there still this A team B team dynamic where you level two squads so that one can rest and one can fight at all times or all characters even inactive ones get all points as the devs said?

When you gain skill points, every gets the same amount. You can still go with an A and B team if you want, but they'll be equal in terms of skills and abilities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The first campaign will be part of the beta, as well as a part of the second campaign.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm asking whether the Expeditions: Viking preview code is going to update today to include the same content as the beta (which I understand is a separate code).

Atomical

Logic Artists
Developer

The Beta we're putting out today is an updated version of the preview build, with improvements and additions. The majority of the content is in the 1st campaign. But, it will also contain some content from the second campaign that we'd like some feedback on. Details will be provided to beta testers via email along with their beta keys.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The Beta we're putting out today is an updated version of the preview build, with improvements and additions. The majority of the content is in the 1st campaign. But, it will also contain some content from the second campaign that we'd like some feedback on. Details will be provided to beta testers via email along with their beta keys.

:lol: I guess I should be less subtle.

I'm trying to ask you if somebody who was given a preview key could give his beta key to a friend who wasn't subscribed to the newsletter and not lose out.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I loved exploring the world in the first game. It's a shame they had to remove that aspect of the game and instead have a 2D map.

Completely have to disagree here, overland travel was tedious and clunky and I am very glad they removed it. They probably removed it cause a lot of people thought that.

Atomical

Logic Artists
Developer
I think you misunderstood me. I'm asking whether the Expeditions: Viking preview code is going to update today to include the same content as the beta (which I understand is a separate code).

An explanation of code differences:

So the big difference between a preview code and a beta code for steam is that beta codes will be deactivated prior to release. Preview codes are not, because we want media folk to have continued access to the game to make coverage regardless of the release timeline. But functionally these codes do the same thing. They both give users access to the game.

:lol: I guess I should be less subtle.

I'm trying to ask you if somebody who was given a preview key could give his beta key to a friend who wasn't subscribed to the newsletter and not lose out.

Ah, yes a direct question gets direct answers! The answer to that is yes. if you have a "preview code" and receive and additional "beta code" you could share that beta code with a friend who was not subscribed to the newsletter so they can participate in the beta sessions. Keep in mind that a preview code will continue to give access to the game post release and the beta code will not.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the camera is not tiltable up&down? Dat verticality I've seen in some gameplay vids made my head hurt, just like WL2's angle-tied-to-zoom-cam did to some extend.
The camera isn't isometric like the others said. You can zoom in and out.

Bit concerned about the content quality after reading that. The CYOA scenes were indeed one of the best bits about Conquistador, and helped illustrate the different flavor.

I've always been a bit concerned about big changes to the E:C formula. Vikings definitely looks way better and I will probably prefer the more Baldur's Gate like exploration .... anyway we'll see how we go.

I guess I'll get a chance to check it out over the Christmas break.
The exploration is more traditional. IE, pick location and then go there and explore. If you don't mind that, then you won't have a problem. I don't dislike that, I was just happy with how the exploration worked in Conquistador and that it wasn't like every other rpg with "click your location on a map and go there" method. The content itself isn't bad, it's just that there were a lot of go grab this or that quests. The preview ended once I got my ship. That would most likely have been when the game starts to become the most interesting. I got a taste of everything, but not enough to judge the content until I see what we get to do later on.

Is it historical or fantastic?
I liked the writing in the first one, it was short and flavoured, does this hold up?
All the changes you mentioned don't sound too good and dude, if it's 3D it's probably not isometric.

I agree with Sensuki, I really liked the first game and I've been worried what will they do to this one.
Some changes are good. Everyone gains skill points. I just stuck with one team, but you can choose whoever you want and they will be ready to go. The writing was solid. They don't over complicate things. I feel like the writing of the first game fit its setting more. I don't know if that makes sense. In Vikings, the writing doesn't feel like it belongs in a Vikings game. This is a thing most games have nowadays, so it isn't just specific to Vikings.

The exploration part, yet again, is disappointing, but what are you going to do? Battles are slow. I wouldn't mind a fast forward or skip animation option.

I like the fact that you actually equip stuff this time around and they didn't go with the way you made your characters better in the first game. Not being locked into a class is good. The music is solid.

The survival elements are still there. Keep an eye on your wounds, hunger, fatigue and such. On the other hand, it wasn't that hard to keep most people healthy.

You can loot stuff while exploring.

If anyone wants to ask me anything, I don't mind answering.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno , I don't have that much fond memories from the world-exploration in the first game.
The music was great, but it just seemed more like filler.

Cadmus

Arcane
Abu Antar thanks for the replies. I remember - you mentioned you had to repeat some fights but you also mentioned you never saw GAME OVER screen. Does this mean you can lose a fight and come back with your remaining healthy units and try again?
Secondly, what you say about writing is pretty disappointing. Exactly as you mentioned, the writing fit the setting in Conquistador and I liked that about it.
The skill distribution I really dislike because combined with the wounds system it forced you to consider your B team and give them something to do sometimes and if you fucked up your A team in a battle, you better be prepared to use the B team. It felt cool having to worry about your units because they felt individual to some degree because you had to care for each one of them separately and hope they do their job when the shit hits the fan. Now this seems like they will become more interchangeable and if your main unit gets hurt too much you just fill in the ranks with somebody else no problem. Me and some others complained about this in the game's thread when it was announced but I guess the devs know better - I'll see how it really plays first before bitching too much.

How about the HP system? Is everyone still 100 HP how does it work?

The music - I haven't even checked any videos or anything so I won't comment.

At the end, I'm not looking forward to this game as much as I would like for these reasons: the setting combined with the above mentioned worse writing without the flavour, the exploration - I wanted the game map to be better, not be removed.

The last game felt really unique with lots to improve and this sounds like the edges have been rounded too much. I'll give it a chance anyway, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I would have much preferred the setting to be something else though, India, Africa, Russia.. there's so many opportunities and they chose the one where the last game sold 20 million units. I just hope it is historically accurate or better, realistic.

retamar

Educated
I liked the exploration bit, ala HMM, sure the camera was a mess, and from time to time the trees and vegetation was on the way, but as it is being said, at least was not the same old map with locations. I have just installed conquistador to replay the game, for some stupid reason I did not finish the game on my first playtrough, despite enjoying the game quite a lot RL stuff got on the way.
Has the game gotten any performance patch? I remember my fans going completely bonkers from time to time with this game.
Well, looking forward to play this game, Is there anyone with a beta spare key? I would love to play and give some feedback on the game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Abu Antar thanks for the replies. I remember - you mentioned you had to repeat some fights but you also mentioned you never saw GAME OVER screen. Does this mean you can lose a fight and come back with your remaining healthy units and try again?
Secondly, what you say about writing is pretty disappointing. Exactly as you mentioned, the writing fit the setting in Conquistador and I liked that about it.
The skill distribution I really dislike because combined with the wounds system it forced you to consider your B team and give them something to do sometimes and if you fucked up your A team in a battle, you better be prepared to use the B team. It felt cool having to worry about your units because they felt individual to some degree because you had to care for each one of them separately and hope they do their job when the shit hits the fan. Now this seems like they will become more interchangeable and if your main unit gets hurt too much you just fill in the ranks with somebody else no problem. Me and some others complained about this in the game's thread when it was announced but I guess the devs know better - I'll see how it really plays first before bitching too much.

How about the HP system? Is everyone still 100 HP how does it work?

The music - I haven't even checked any videos or anything so I won't comment.

At the end, I'm not looking forward to this game as much as I would like for these reasons: the setting combined with the above mentioned worse writing without the flavour, the exploration - I wanted the game map to be better, not be removed.

The last game felt really unique with lots to improve and this sounds like the edges have been rounded too much. I'll give it a chance anyway, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I would have much preferred the setting to be something else though, India, Africa, Russia.. there's so many opportunities and they chose the one where the last game sold 20 million units. I just hope it is historically accurate or better, realistic.

I lost one fight and I was able to retry it. I decided to come back at a later point. Your characters do get wounded when they fall in battle. You need to heal them up while camping and only people with heal skill can do this. Also, a character can't heal himself/herself from wounds.

My main character had 126 hp by the end of the demo. I can't go back and look, because the build is offline. I did give him a skill that raised hp by 10. I think one of the primary stats improves HP gain a little. i don't remember.

I forgot to mention, it's not fantastical. people are superstitious but there was nothing unrealistic in the game. There's a quest where things get freaky in a tomb that is supposed to be guarded by ancient creatures and colors change and shit. It all turns out to be some starving people (probably junkies smoking some shit and that smoke affecting your party) that you end up fighting.

The only creatuers you fight besides humans are wolves (in the build that I played.)

Last edited:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm looking forward to Expeditions:Vikings. Conquistador really surprised me. Even though it had its stretches,
it's the very rare kind of game that let me replay it three or four times. After the original Fallouts and
Jagged Alliances, there haven't been that much. Well, Baldur's Gate 1, but then again I think I was
about seventeen when it was released. I like what I'm reading this far.

Quillon

Arcane
The camera isn't isometric like the others said. You can zoom in and out.

Well I know it isn't isometric(fixed to 45 or so degrees, no rotating). I asked whether we can tilt it up and down given its a 3D game, apparently we can't. Currently it looks too vertical to me at max zoomed-out(assuming that's max).

This is much easier to look at: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-SrxYzbuNAM/maxresdefault.jpg than this http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/15332.jpg but harder on the system or something? Else I don't know why would they go with that -like 70-75 degrees angle when zoomed out- with which most ppl will play most of the time. IMO It wasn't a good angle/cam system in WL2 and I don't think I'll like it here. Really makes my head hurt.

Enjoyed the first game very much. Really surprised how good it was and when I though it was over, Mexico part begin, which was even better. Especially the writing was so good; was hilarious when people shouted my characters' name to me(-TRIBBIANI!)... -EVERY TIME. Played with a Chandler Bing in my second run; I remember the line my character said "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Does the name Bing ring a bell?" at the beginning of the game. I've been following Viking, excited to hear its going more towards RPG, hope the cam won't be too much of a nuisance(seems it will be tho) else it will be an #asslife being a viking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom