Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Restricted Area Q&A at GamersClick

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Restricted Area

<A href="http://www.gamersclick.com/">GamersClick</a> has served up a fresh <A href="http://www.gamersclick.com/interview.cfm?p=v&id=1301">interview</a> with <b>Jan Beuck</b> of <A href="http://www.mastercreating.de">master creating</a>, who are making <A href="http://www.restrictedarea.net">Restricted Area</a>. Here's the happy news:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Do you plan to support the modding community at all?</b>
<br>
<br>
Yes - the game features a script language, a map editor and about 20 tools so theirs a lot of space for custom addon-ons.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
This should make the mod crowd pretty gosh darned happy!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</a>.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Re: Seems like...

Jan said:
...there is no MOD crowd :wink:

What MOD means ?

edit

iDreamDigital media*studioTM
Fostering Innovation, At the Speed of Insight.

We are sorry but the page you have requested can not be found.
Please try using your browser refresh button or Ctrl+R to empty your cache.

If this problem persists please contact iDreamDigital through our contact page or email us directly at support@idreamdigital.com.

Please visit www.idreamdigital.com for all your design, development and hosting needs!

Those links second and third do not work.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Re: Re

Jan said:
Well... MOD means "mod"ification of the original game content. Or am I wrong?

Oh . You mean like modyfing the official campain ?
Or like making new small campains ?

so few questions while you are here .

1) Can I change 1 script and the immidiatelly test it ?
does the editor has a run time compoment ?

2) Dialogue . How it is stored ?

3) Can i make new graphicks by say copy pasting the old in photoshop change say colors and then reimport them ?

4) A change in the game world does it invalidates gamesaves ?

5) Diagnostic tools ? Does it have any ?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Re: Re

Jan said:
Well... MOD means "mod"ification of the original game content. Or am I wrong?

To be nitpicky, it really should be written 'mod', since it's an abbreviation and not an acronym. :wink:

Looking forward to your game, BTW.

GamersClick is down, apparently there's been some legal problem with their co-locator.

Jan

Novice
RE

Okay, so it´s "mod". :roll:

>Oh . You mean like modyfing the official campain ?
>Or like making new small campains ?

Both, but the mod tool won´t be available in the release - we´ll make it available for (free) download one or two months later. As you mayhave guessed the "public" tool doesn´t exist yet, only our internal stuff which is pretty hard to use. So everything I say now may change...

>so few questions while you are here .

>1) Can I change 1 script and the immidiatelly test it ?
>does the editor has a run time compoment ?

>2) Dialogue . How it is stored ?

As simple text files and scripts in text format. Easy to change.

3) Can i make new graphicks by say copy pasting the old in photoshop change say colors and then reimport them ?

Yes.

4) A change in the game world does it invalidates gamesaves ?

Not necessary - I guess it will depend on the changings.

5) Diagnostic tools ? Does it have any ?

I´m not sure.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Can the game create diagnostic logs when it runs ?

With like

script number XXXX executed.

Global variable , global flag values ?

Or script has called other script ?

Does it have any other debugging tools that would help write complex scripts ?

Jan

Novice
RE

Scripts can run scripts and there will be at least clear error messages, but it´s hard to say how the debugging tools will look like even before work on the mod tool has been started...

BTW: Which of the wallpapers do you like that much? I have Johnson as background. 8)

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Re: RE

Jan said:
BTW: Which of the wallpapers do you like that much? I have Johnson as background. 8)

The Victoria Williams one .

The guy that painted this could probably make more money by making paintings instead of computer games .
(If this is really a painting instead of a photo changed by photoshop)
And whovever he or she is he/she can take that as a copliment.

Jan

Novice
RE

Thanks a lot! It´s 100% digital. Others here say I could earn a lot of money with computer games if I wouldn´t spend so many time with painting :wink:

It´s based on the 3D model of the character. However, I don´t think I´m really an artist - our lead artist Leonid draws much better, but he has to do so much with the city that I made the wallpapers.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Re: RE

Jan said:
Thanks a lot! It´s 100% digital. Others here say I could earn a lot of money with computer games if I wouldn´t spend so many time with painting :wink:

I think that with painting you are only recognized and start to make serious money when you are older.
'You can make less money now but mayby you can make more money with painting than computer games in say 20 years from now.

Better become good in 2 lines of work instead of excellent in one because you do not know what will happen in the future .

I think that a lot of time will pass before real art can be done by amateurs or mayby never but what will happen if that modding thing is really extremely successfull and good games can be done by amauteurs ?

Sure now the amauteurs could make the only role of the level designer redudant but tomorow they could replace everyone.

And the one that would have the last laugh would be you because you did what you knew in your heart was right.

You continued painting.

Jan

Novice
RE

My heart tells me I should create games - otherwise I would have become a lawyer like my father or something like that. There´s not much money in making games and in making art - if you want to earn money better do something else. Game publishing for example :wink:

Astromarine

Erudite
sure you can, poop. Of course, Jenny also has several extremely huge men near her whose goal in life is kick the ass of sorry excuses for rabid oversexed fanboys all the way from here to next Monday. THEY also should do what they want with their lives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom