Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Previews, Interviews and Bloom Gameplay Footage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Colin McComb; Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile's Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie were in London last week to promote Torment: Tides of Numenera. Journalists who attended got to play in the Bloom, the late game area designed by George Ziets which isn't available in the beta. Today, they all published their gameplay footage, previews and interviews. Polygon have the longest video by far, so I'll post that here:

Here's a list of all the previews we've been able to find:

There's nothing hugely interesting in these, but the PCGamesN, TheSixthAxis, Bit Gamer and Alphr writeups probably have the most to chew on. Brian Fargo and George Ziets also recently met with the press stateside. Perhaps those previews will be published later.

UPDATE: Well, that didn't take long. Several American websites have published their impressions of Torment:
They're decent enough articles, but more interesting than them is this interview with Brian Fargo at Gamasutra, which goes into detail about the game's long development and hints that it may have had some issues. I suppose there's a reason why Kevin Saunders had to leave.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
pcworld said:
It’s more approachable, more “modern,” but keeps the trademark weirdness that defined its predecessor.
IGN said:
Torment: Tides of Numenara Preview - 2017's Most Promising RPG Yet
PCGamesN said:
Torment: Tides of Numenera feels just like its 1999 ancestor - totally different
etc. etc.

So it turns out that Darth Roxor was wrong, so many journalists can't be wrong.

:troll:

Unwanted

DrDigej

Unwanted
I hear from beta backers that the writing is disjointed and that the EA is gonna be shit. Excited!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So guys, I have a question - I saw somewhere art for Numanuma, you know where 3 people standing, 3 different art.
So my question - it is official art (quite vomit-inductive I should add) or some pervert "fun" art?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Eh. I'm gonna get it, but I have no idea how much I'll enjoy it. Hopefully I will. But u think if anyone expects planescspe 2 they're gonna shit outta luck.

But u think if anyone expects planescspe 2 they're gonna shit outta luck.
Frankly I think the setting and the narrative premise of the game are very interesting on their own, regardless of any comparison with the original.

Will the implementation be good as well and result in a memorable adventure? Eh. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Fairfax

Arcane
They're decent enough articles, but more interesting than them is this interview with Brian Fargo at Gamasutra, which goes into detail about the game's long development and hints that it may have had some issues. I suppose there's a reason why Kevin Saunders had to leave.

On one hand you have Ziets on other hand Fargo.

raw

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
pcworld said:
It’s more approachable, more “modern,” but keeps the trademark weirdness that defined its predecessor (according to wikipedia).
IGN said:
Torment: Tides of Numenara Preview - 2017's Most Promising RPG Yet (because it is January, LOL!)
PCGamesN said:
Torment: Tides of Numenera feels just like its 1999 ancestor (which we didn't play) - totally different (worse)
etc. etc.

I fixed your quotes, there were some parts that you missed.

ortucis

Prophet
Hey Infinitron finally posted a PS4 trailer! Good to see the game being played they way the developers always intended.
I laughed at your comment first and then I suddenly cried violently.
:cry:

Why? It's an isometric third person game (right? I haven't seen any previews, I don't like spoilers).

It isn't like it's a twitch shooter that you will lose a part of something cause of consoles. It's all about story.

Basically, you are buying it cause of Torment hype, like most of us. Torment's draw wasn't its shit combat either.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey Infinitron finally posted a PS4 trailer! Good to see the game being played they way the developers always intended.
I laughed at your comment first and then I suddenly cried violently.
:cry:

Why? It's an isometric third person game (right? I haven't seen any previews, I don't like spoilers).

Basically, you are buying it cause of Torment hype, like most of us. Torment's draw wasn't its shit combat either.
FWIW, I dropped USD140 on CE physical tier, for a title that was meant to be PC first (I won't say PC exclusive as they were clever to avoid saying that), to find out all these things that won't affect PC-development the least.

I won't quote the earlier discussion in this forum about these issues, nor dig up the gamescom thread. If you are interested, or want to feel disappointed, there's plenty of material.

ortucis

Prophet
FWIW, I dropped USD140 on CE physical tier, for a title that was meant to be PC first (I won't say PC exclusive as they were clever to avoid saying that), to find out all these things that won't affect PC-development the least.

I won't quote the earlier discussion in this forum about these issues, nor dig up the gamescom thread. If you are interested, or want to feel disappointed, there's plenty of material.

I still don't get it why you think it being "PC first" would change anything.

Would it have impacted the visual quality? Nope. Story? Nope.

I would say you wasted money on a game that will live and die based on its story quality, nothing else. Then again, I buy my games on GOG and Steam sales these days so i can't relate. :P

NeonHydra

Literate
I would say you wasted money on a game that will live and die based on its story quality, nothing else. Then again, I buy my games on GOG and Steam sales these days so i can't relate. :P
The story alone can't save the game. Without solid gameplay it crumble.

ortucis

Prophet
The story alone can't save the game. Without solid gameplay it crumble.

Torment was all about C&C with good story. Everything else was shit in it, especially the combat. And yet, we all like it for what it was good at ("BEST GAME EVER HERP").

Pretty sure it managed it just fine without any solid gameplay. It's a glorified visual novel.

Sounds like this game is right up my alley. Interesting world with good exploration and writing. I hope the combat will be good too.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Torment was all about C&C with good story. Everything else was shit in it, especially the combat. And yet, we all like it for what it was good at ("BEST GAME EVER HERP").

Pretty sure it managed it just fine without any solid gameplay. It's a glorified visual novel.

No, it was about tying the story of your own forgotten past with the exploration of the game world, which is an alive and interesting setting. Since exploration is gameplay, your argument falls apart. Saying that what made the game special is the story is simplistic, to say the least. The game is mostly linear too, so I don’t know how C&C and visual novel comparisons would be relevant here. I think you are just trying to label Torment in a simplistic fashion to make it look like InXile has an easy task. They don't, it is super hard. If the narrative concept is not as good, the game will not be a proper successor. Hell, after recent events we would be lucky if the game is a proper cRPG at all.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I still don't get it why you think it being "PC first" would change anything.

Would it have impacted the visual quality? Nope. Story? Nope.

It may very well affect the user experience, by tuning each and every menu and inventory accessible to console controllers, In addition, there is a lot speculation as why some ideas were skipped and a lot of hand-holding added - like health bars etc. But I won't go through that conversation again, dig up the sources in the respective threads if you really want to know. Here's a sample:

Okay fired it up again.

Clearly not perfected yet. I saved my progress in the morning, but can't continue -- the Load Game screen hangs and the Continue button is grayed out. So starting over.
Camera is awfully lively. It zooms and pans on its own whenever I focus on something significant, with "kinetic" acceleration too, instead of being only crisply mouse-controlled. Would work great on a controller, mouse and keyboard, not so much...
Made a Wrathful Glaive. Wanna see how that plays out. Conversation with the Spectre was more infodumpy than I remember it from the last build. Lots of "What are you?" and "Who's hunting me?" and "So this is my mind, huh?"
Yuuuuge "Crisis Initiated" notification, with "Current Objective: Kill the reflections anchoring the Sorrow to your mind" in a panel. FUCK FUCK FUCK this is SO non-Torment. Fuck console kiddies to Baator and InEptile with them. This is NOT what I Kickstarted!!! :argh:
Camera is jumping around a LOT during the crisis. Very irritating.
This does look pretty though. The UI, icons, and environment art blend together a lot better than before, and the pretty-boy Last Castoff portrait fits well too. Visually it's quite close in style to the Numenera sourcebooks (which is not a bad thing).
Voice acting is still bad. Actors carefully reading their lines from a paper, enunciating clearly and speaking slowly.
Big "Quest Received" notification. What's wrong with "Updated my journal" FFS?
Aligern's and Callistege's new portrait art looks gud. But man this start is infodumpy. A bit less than in the first beta, for sure, but still this is no Mortuary with its glorious sense of WTF and mysteries everywhere.
Taking a look at the character sheet. It looks very pretty and Numenera. Cyphers are arranged in two rings with nodes, some of which are locked. The inner ring represents cyphers I can carry without cypher sickness, the outer ring, with cypher sickness. Guess my absolute, hard cypher limit is the number of empty nodes, but I'd probably be dead of Hiroshima syndrome before I hit that anyway. Hooly shit, Aligern has a cypher limit of 5 already, what an awesome mule, I know whom I'm gonna dump out of the gate.

They've tinkered with the basic Cypher System mechanics a quite a lot. There are four new stats: Health, Resistance, Evasion, and Willpower; each of the Pools affects these stats. Don't know yet if these secondary defensive stats will go down as my pools drain. I never was a huge fan of the Numenera mechanics, but I still think this is a bit of a shame -- they were different and these changes dilute this uniqueness quite a bit as well as making things murkier overall. Perhaps they were necessary for gameplay balance reasons or something though. There's no indication of how Health is calculated, other than that Might contributes 1:1. I have 28 Heath and 8 Might so that 20 Health came from somewhere.

I have a bunch of abilities not from the PnP game, like Opportunist that lets me forgo an attack on my turn to get an AOO with bonus on the enemy's turn, if applicable. I also picked Hook which lets me pull an enemy to me. Could also have picked Taunt which does what you'd expect it to. Other than that I'm good at Intimidation and excel at Smashing and Heavy Weapons.

Max Effort is 2 right out of the gate. That is in my opinion rather derp as Effort tends to trivialise things anyway. IMO would've been better to leave it at 1 like in the rulebook.

My Journal is 100% new-skool modurn. Neatly organised into Main Quest, Secondary Quests, with Quest Objectives listed in 3d grade English.
Loading screens look purty.
Bloody hell this self-moving camera is annoying. When the clock spouted those energy things, the camera just HAD to centre on each of them at a time, to make absolutely sure I noticed.
I really don't like the moment-to-moment interaction here. It's that camera and the way it stops taking inputs whenever there's an animation of something happening. It makes it plod, and takes away the feeling of being in control. Pillars got this bit perfectly right (basically by carefully imitating the Infinity Engine). Why did they feel the need to change it? I suppose it'll look cool on a Let's Play video and of course it'll work better if you're playing with a controller rather than a mouse that lets you pan with a flick of the wrist. It even does it in mid-conversation if there's more than one character involved -- every time one of them speaks (even if there's no VO), the camera centres on them.

Also, the UI animation when I interact with things is starting to grate. It's very smooth and all, but it is much more intrusive than a UI that just mostly stays put. That pretty UI is very much in-your-face actually, like when you hold down the Tab button to highlight interactables, the icons for Look and Interact are really huge and obvious, much moreso than the subtle highlight used in the IE or Pillars.

The whole thing is really busy and really, really idiot-proofed. :argh:
And they still didn't find the time to fix those flagstones. :(
Okay, that's enough for now, that self-moving camera is giving me a migraine.

tl;dr I am not a fan of where this thing is going. The stuff that was good is still good (lotsa writing, some of it pretty neat, quest resolutions etc), but apart from general polish (which they've done a lot of) this isn't any more enjoyable to play, the opposite in fact. :decline:
I bought it on March 2013, the first day of the Kickstarter campaign, when everything was quite different.

A reminder:
The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.

---

Our experience with crowd funding has been wonderfully positive for us at inXile and has opened our eyes to the power of a direct relationship with the gamers. We want to create RPGs in a fashion and style that helped to make the true classics. And along these lines we've abandoned the typical developer/publisher model and placed our future in the hands of RPG gamers. We've embraced the crowd in every aspect. YOU are our publisher...and you are the best publisher we've ever worked with!

This process allows us to create the games exactly the way you want to see them. There is a purity of development when we can spend 100% of our efforts making the game with an open dialogue throughout the process. We'll start with a strong vision document that details our sensibilities, and from there we'll stay in sync with you, from concept through the execution of the ideas.

To quote an old wisdom: What happen...? They set up us on a bomb....

tl;dr: The mystery publishing partner is Techland!

Chris here for some important and exciting news. Last update we teased that we’re working with a new publisher on Torment. For those who have not yet seen the news that broke shortly after, we are pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Techland Publishing.
---
This isn't the only component to our partnership, however. In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

"only the story matters."

6CP82pm.png

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Chris here for some important and exciting news. Last update we teased that we’re working with a new publisher on Torment. For those who have not yet seen the news that broke shortly after, we are pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Techland Publishing.
---
This isn't the only component to our partnership, however. In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Prime Junta

So guys, I have a question - I saw somewhere art for Numanuma, you know where 3 people standing, 3 different art.
So my question - it is official art (quite vomit-inductive I should add) or some pervert "fun" art?

This one?

Numenera-Character-Sheets-2014-02-24.jpg

Official.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom