Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat, Feature and Origin Trailers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is releasing tomorrow. It's a big moment for RPGs - but I'll have more to say about that when it happens. Today, I thought I'd share the trailers that Larian have released over the past week. They made a spotlight trailer for each of the game's six origin stories/companions - The Red Prince the exiled Lizard royal, Lohse the demon-haunted entertainer, Beast the dwarven pirate, Sebille the escaped elven slave, Ifan the mercenary ex-crusader, and Fane the undead Eternal. Last week they released a combat spotlight trailer showcasing what you can do in a typical Original Sin 2 encounter. And today released a "feature trailer", a thorough overview of all of the game's features. I'll post the last two here:

This game is going to be so much fun. Watch out though, the feature trailer quite blatantly spoils the premise of its plot.

duanth123

Arcane
this feels like going to disneyland as a grownup. not something im attracted to. i hate disconnecting from real life, i want something that helps me understand it better and deal with it better

A little ironic, then, seeing as this game does not shy away from racism, murder, slavery, prostitution, in-game child killing, all within Act I.

That is, unless by real life you mean brushing your teeth or taking a shit.

In which case, this game will be 0/10 no real life, no buy.

Ranarama

Learned
I like how their video editing cuts out how tedious combat is, but they still expect players to sit through the slow animations.

Last edited:
this feels like going to disneyland as a grownup. not something im attracted to. i hate disconnecting from real life, i want something that helps me understand it better and deal with it better

A little ironic, then, seeing as this game does not shy away from racism, murder, slavery, prostitution, in-game child killing, all within Act I.

That is, unless by real life you mean brushing your teeth or taking a shit.

In which case, this game will be 0/10 no real life, no buy.

You just don't know that True Incline™ comes with Visceral Teeth Brushing Action™.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I like how their video editing cuts out how tedious combat is, but they still expect players to sit through the slow animations.
An animation skip option for combat would be nice. Do you know if they gave a reason for not including it?

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
An animation skip option for combat would be nice. Do you know if they gave a reason for not including it?
from http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10670
Great! So, our user Efe wants to know: will there be an option to increase animation speed?
No, it’s not on the feature list. I know there’s been some people asking for it, but it’s not on the list. I’m not sure it would be easy to implement, either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you for the spoiler warning, kind sir. I almost watched the video.
:excellent:

It's also spoiled on the game's store page description so I don't think you're gonna avoid it for long. They don't want this to be a secret basically.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cool.
Also, I, uhm, kind of don't really remember what exactly I backed for. I may or may not have been under the influence of mind altering substances when I backed the game... or now.
I know I got the hoodie as it's being shipped; did the hoodie tiers come with a physical (hopefully deluxe) version of the game too? Anyone remember?

Zeriel

Arcane

Don't worry, wearing the faces of your enemies as a fleshmask is pertinent to real life if you should choose to go into politics.

I am encouraged that there is a way for people to create their own campaigns. Perhaps somebody will create one that is not so filled with goofiness and slapstick three stooges humor. I will probably wait to see if that actually happens or not before buying because I pretty much know I won't like the campaign included with the game.

Larian has its heart in the right place IMO, and they are bro's-- but they just don't make stories or games I end up enjoying and motley I think this stems from the overall silliness of it all. I have tried almost all their games and basically come away with this same feeling every time.
But I support them anyway, because I believe it helps the incline in general to do so, and I get the feeling they are honest and good people.

I hope some interesting fan created campaigns will be created for the engine.

Gruia

Educated
real life is about values , vulnerability, efficiency, intimacy. their characters all lack a mature standard. the predefined ones are mediocre personalities. these guys dont know what a virtue is if it bit them in the ass.
thats what real life deals with, value systems not the bullshit people like to waste them time debating ans associating, like slavery, migration segregation bla bla bla

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They have already said it that they can't do it because of a technical standpoint. I assume it has to do with the game being coop. How would the battles go down when 4 players have 4 different combat speed set up? It would desyncronise the whole game.

Ranarama

Learned
They have already said it that they can't do it because of a technical standpoint. I assume it has to do with the game being coop. How would the battles go down when 4 players have 4 different combat speed set up? It would desyncronise the whole game.

Oh great, because you can't change the speed in multiplayer games ever. Oh wait, since Starcraft? EU4? Stronghold? I love that they make their game tedious because of a feature so few people use. They shouldn't rely on modders to fix their game for them.

Prime Junta

Oh great, because you can't change the speed in multiplayer games ever. Oh wait, since Starcraft? EU4? Stronghold? I love that they make their game tedious because of a feature so few people use. They shouldn't rely on modders to fix their game for them.

It's not just the battles, DOS allows some players to be in combat and others to be out of it, or enter it at will later. Changing combat speed would fuck that up. It even applies to single-player.

Not saying it would be impossible, but it would certainly introduce a whole bunch of unintended knock-on effects which would have to be dealt with.

Ranarama

Learned
It's not just the battles, DOS allows some players to be in combat and others to be out of it, or enter it at will later. Changing combat speed would fuck that up. It even applies to single-player.

Not saying it would be impossible, but it would certainly introduce a whole bunch of unintended knock-on effects which would have to be dealt with.

Yes I remember that fucking up sneaking behind enemies to start battles. You simply couldn't, my rogue with the remote could only stand there and watch as she couldn't join in the combat or do anything at all.

What you describe is just a larger misfeature in the game, which requires you to save and load the game to fix. It ruins any argument that the current way combat is done is good for co-op.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes I remember that fucking up sneaking behind enemies to start battles. You simply couldn't, my rogue with the remote could only stand there and watch as she couldn't join in the combat or do anything at all.

What you describe is just a larger misfeature in the game, which requires you to save and load the game to fix. It ruins any argument that the current way combat is done is good for co-op.
Then tell me you great programmer how would it be possible to solve this problem. Let's say there are two players playing the game, one has an animation length of 1 seconds set up, the other has 3 seconds. How would this work on the two computer? The one second player would have to constantly wait in every turn, until the other player's animation's end, otherwise the two game wouldn't be in sync.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom