Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie have left inXile

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie; InXile Entertainment

Something is happening at inXile Entertainment. Within the space of a month, the studio has quietly lost both Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, the two principal writers on Torment: Tides of Numenera. Both announced their departures on Twitter:

This is weird because Gavin was supposed to be lead writer for Wasteland 3, and both he and Colin featured prominently in the game's Fig pitch video. Of the three developers "recruited" by Brian Fargo in that video, George Ziets is now the last man standing, with inXile mainstay Nathan Long and recently hired ironic cannibal Cassandra Khaw presumably replacing Gavin and Colin in their roles as writers. Gavin has since announced that he's moving to Ireland to join Swen Vincke's growing Larian empire. Where Colin will go after this is still unknown.

Cross

Arcane
This is weird
Yes, it's so weird that a studio would get rid of two terrible writers after the game they were in charge of turned out to be an unmitigated commercial disaster. Not that the rest of InXile's writers are anything to write home about (with the exception of Ziets).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is weird
Yes, it's so weird that a studio would get rid of two terrible writers after the game they were in charge of turned out to be an unmitigated commercial disaster. Not that the rest of InXile's writers are anything to write home about (with the exception of Ziets).

But you see, it didn't, they stayed on for over a year afterwards. Not like say, Adam Heine who got the boot immediately.

Bohr

Arcane
Hmmmmm. Definitely won't miss McComb, hopefully he can move on to a stable career writing for inflight magazines or something. Will always be interested in what Ziets is doing though.

Don't care about that bland Gavin character.

PS: Typo "Gavin and Golin in their roles as writers"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hey, that's a good idea. McComb seems to have his head so far up his own ass, we can probably trick him that we believe he's this creative genius wronged by bad people and get him to spill some beans about the development.

Get on it, Inflamatron.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Haven't played Tworment, is it really that bad? I thought McComb was good, given that he co-wrote the original?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
40dc675eaf0606c65754a3e4c6275625.jpg

A Colin McComb masterpiece, before the Jack Off Jill days.

If you ever needed evidence of succubi, the story of Colin is exactly that. Looks like that Pants sellout from Matrix too.

Taurist

Scholar
Yikes. I hope inXile at least last to release their final two games. Torment was weak, but I liked Wastland 2 enough to be interested in their two upcoming plot-limited combat games. My only hope is that they are doing this to tighten up the team, as I understand it they are all spread all over the globe in some dumb manner.

Losing more and more faith in Larian as time goes on. They seem to be hiring a million not very good writers to supply PoE1-syle word vomit.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Rats are always the first to desert a sinking ship.

Think it's a different case with inXile, there was two ships, one sunk, the other is still afloat.
At face value both W2 and TTON were at odds by their very nature. Wasteland is in-house, satirical, self-deprecating and doesn't care for political correctness. Whereas Monte Cook expects Numenera to be treated as a holy text...

Wasteland 3 can't have people like that working on it, they'd implode.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As the canonical Luke Skywalker says in his crowning appearance, "No one's ever really gone." I'm sure we'll keep seeing many games from Colin and Gavin for years to come. Both were very kind colleagues to me, and my sense is that they were well liked inside inXile as well as by outsiders like me. From what I gather from Darth Roxor, Gavin's humorous characters like Sn'erf the alien sexologist will fit in well with the Divinity franchise, and I'm sure Colin will land well, too.

The Codex's 180 on Colin is unfortunate, and I think mutual at this point, but so it goes. (In high school, two friends of mine, one not good at basketball and the other pretty good, used to play 1-on-1 all the time, with the better player always winning. Finally, after ~100 rounds, the other guy managed to win. Immediately the better player asked for a rematch. "Nope," refused the worse player, who spent the rest of our years in high school gloating that "you're only as good as your last game." I suppose there's a lesson in that for all of us.)

Anyway, Codexian glee seems misplaced from a self-interested perspective (cf., Obi-Wan, strike me down, etc.), but who am I to stand in the way of schadenfreude?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom