Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #12: Modding Tools Preview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

The latest Realms Beyond Kickstarter update gives us a look at the game's toolset - namely its map editor and dialogue editor. The update was originally labelled as a micro-update, but changing it was the right thing to do because there's nothing "micro" about this. The toolset appears to be quite powerful and easy to use, and will be released to the public alongside the game, allowing players to create their own campaigns. Watch the video:

In today's update we will show you a little preview video of our editing tools, which will be shipped along with the game as mod tools, so you can create your own scenarios and campaigns.

Our map editor allows you to texture and modify the landscape, place objects and effects, set the lighting and place creatures and NPCs on the map. It's a powerful editor which gives you a lot of options, but the map building process is quick and easy to learn.

The dialogue editor is just as easy to use and just as powerful. Easily write different conversation nodes and connect them with a click of your mouse. Add conditions to the different dialogue options, making them only available to certain classes or races. Or make them dependent on the player character's gender, or a certain skill or stat. With the dialog editor's script calls, you can implement a large variety of condition checks, and you can have NPCs react in different ways to the player's dialogue choices.

We use AngelScript as a scripting language, which is an object-oriented language based on the syntax of C++. This allows you to create all kinds of interesting scripts to spice up your campaign with the custom scenes you want it to have.

Realms Beyond provides you with powerful modding tools that are easy to learn and allow for quick and efficient mapping and dialogue scripting once you are familiar with them.

In other news, Ceres have collected four virtual beer mugs and reached their first social media stretch goal, which means everybody gets the game's digital art book. Doesn't seem like they'll have time to reach the second one though.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Thank you very much for the tremendous coverage given to this project over the past month.

In the thread that announced their Kickstarter, after expressing my enthusiasm for what I saw in the pitch, it was implied by several others that I was shilling.

I have no affiliation with the developers whatsover.

I am, however, a long, long-time crpg player and enthusiast, with deep roots in tabletop D&D. 2nd Ed will always be my first love, but 3.5 is solid enough, and most importantly, arguably the most well-known system in the genre.

Including all the drama that was Chaos Chronicles, I've seen very little from the developers that didn't look spot-on to what I've always wanted to see in a crpg. I wish the isometric angle was more BG than DD, but I'll live.

I'm actually quite surprised they're just going to make it. To me, for anyone who started gaming all the way back near the beginning of this whole thing, and I know there are still many of you lurking out there, supporting this project should be almost automatic.

If they pull this off... implementing 3.5 robustly, true turn-based D&D combat, more-than-passable art and sound, and most importantly supplying strong tools for content generation... it's all I've ever really been looking for all this time.

It even sounds like the world they've created has some intriguing stories to tell of its own.

Sometimes I forget just how niche my crpg hobby really is, I guess. I thought this would have hit multiple stretch goals, easily.

2c

deuxhero

Arcane
Wait, so is the world polygon based or not? I thought it was drawn, but the way it looks during editing makes me think otherwise.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not familiar with the Codex drama associated with the developers of this game, but from a feature-set and visible progress standpoint it's hard to cite another indie/KS title that deserves more success. Only strike against them is the highly generic-looking setting, no doubt a consequence of the vaunted German efficiency. I backed at EUR 25.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only strike against them is the highly generic-looking setting...

Agreed. The good news is the toolset will allow whole new settings to be created.

From the Kickstarter comments:
>Will we be able to create and use a whole new setting, new custom map, for a custom game/campaign?

Yes, you can a complete new campaign including your own world map.

>Will we be able to add new monsters?

Yes, but if you want new graphics as well, you'll need to create a .FBX/.OBJ file and a couple of required animations.

>Will we be able to add new tilesets complete with custom made 3D models of objects/buildings, etc.?

Yes, you can add new environment objects in form of 2D and 3D graphics.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

It would be neat to see the actual game they created with those tools rather than just the tools. Where's the gameplay videos showing anything other than a slow combat demo and a .gif of a townsperson talking? (with the same convo that was shown in the tools video, lol.)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You're not getting a free key, stop begging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom