Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #24: Alpha Progress Report

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Copper Dreams has been in alpha since November, but still appears to be drifting in what seems like perpetual pre-production. The latest Kickstarter update details the significant changes that have been made to the game over the past few months, which include UI tweaks, new tiling implementations, and most importantly, the addition of fully controllable companions. The game's injury system has also been modified. I'll quote that part of the update here:

The Life of the Party

Our intention was always to remove the idea of Hit Points and replace them with wounds that individually reduce stats of a character. Getting that into a simple system that both feels organic during gameplay, and allows players to reasonably survive and enemies to be killed in predictable ways has been a challenge. With the newest tweaks in the last month of alpha testing, we think we've found a solution.

Characters accrue wounds specific to body parts. Different damage rolls do 3 tiers of wounds — lesser, greater, and mortal. In the alpha, we've introduced the SHOCK stat to make sure they all work together nicely, which acts sort of like a negative armor modifier.
  • Light wounds still just deter some stat points somewhere on your character, respective of body part. The higher end rolls of these can cause SHOCK.
  • Medium wounds deter stats respective of body part as well and always cause SHOCK.
  • Mortal wounds destroy/disable whatever limb they happen on.
  • If a character's torso or head is destroyed, they're dead.
So that's easy enough — destroying legs make enemies unable to move, arms reducing any ability to fight, and the vital parts are the torso and head (or non-humanoid equivalent, for you to find out). Rolling mortal wounds is required to do that, and that's where SHOCK comes in. Every SHOCK point a character has, regardless of what body part it was on, adds those points to any incoming damage rolls. This would allow rolls to be either more potent within their tier or jump from light to medium, or up to Mortal.

This allows a few gameplay features we struggled to design for with previous iterations:
  • Characters can be 1-hit killed.
  • No matter how armored a character is, they can we chipped away at with SHOCK.
  • Aiming for mechanical parts of the body (arms/legs types) is still viable toward reducing character abilities as well as helping towards finishing them off.
As we mention below, you can now automatically aim for body parts with any action, so you can always have some agency on what you're going for.

Bringing the Pain

The wounds your players accrue are now visibly seen on their person. Giant nails, gore blobs, embers, bone fragments — the locational damage of the wounds you get can be seen appropriately on your characters body parts.

Now those blood decals or arrows that stick into characters have some actual importance — check out enemy damage locations to see what to focus on or what's currently damaged.​

There's plenty more stuff in the update that I didn't mention, not to mention tons of images and animated GIFs, so check it out. Whalenought plan to release a gameplay video next week to demonstrate some of these new features.

grimace

Arcane
There's plenty more stuff in the update that I didn't mention, not to mention tons of images and animated GIFs, so check it out. Whalenought plan to release a gameplay video next week to demonstrate some of these new features.

Let us formally present Whalenought with a list of questions we have concerning Copper Dreams.

I will gather the questions and present them to Joseph and Hannah.

aratuk

Cipher
I feel like Whalenought have really matured this game's style & color palette, taken it in a direction that's both distinctive and more likely to be successful than their earlier iterations.

And the wound-based combat system sounds like it's coming together well. Much to look forward to.

:shittydog:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus, is this what, a 7th visual iteration?
373ebbd3d281b9dee03247dd42b6b6d4_original.png
From this to >>>>

0b6e562c86727ecaf28189f0dbd380a8_original.gif
and then to this>>>
f763c4a0bc422597f20d8624b13869dc_original.png

Meth. Not even once.

(I know I skipped a few styles along the way)

Also:
Original KS campaign:
The city and surroundings that sweep the horizon of the island are dense with people, puzzles and intrigue to explore any way you can.
The latest update:
Copper Dreams, the actual campaign, is a dungeon crawler where you'll be creeping around a war-torn city filled with lots of other things that are creeping around trying to kill you.
Granted, these are not mutually exclusive, but makes you think.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last art style is miles better than those previous too.
Beauty is in the eye of the goatman, but I don't think the latest style captures the feeling of a sleek cyberpunk world at all. Looks more like some inbred swampfolks on a roll, modern Poland perhaps?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beauty is in the eye of the goatman, but I don't think the latest style captures the feeling of a sleek cyberpunk world at all. Looks more like some inbred swampfolks on a roll, modern Poland perhaps?

Inbred swampfolks got me thinking of Innsmouth from one of H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
Cyberpunk meets Cthulhu could be the new artistic direction. Also I think there
hasn't been a Cyberpunk meets Lovecraft game yet. There is potential here!:P

ArchAngel

Arcane

Inbred swampfolks got me thinking of Innsmouth from one of H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
Cyberpunk meets Cthulhu could be the new artistic direction. Also I think there
hasn't been a Cyberpunk meets Lovecraft game yet. There is potential here!:P
Better swamp graphics than 90s 3d in 201921

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom