Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview BioShock interview at IGN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioShock; Irrational Games

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> has shared with us a very detailed, 6-page <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/705/705454p1.html>BioShock interview</a> with Ken Levine, accompanied by a trackload of great looking screenshots. Here is an overview:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In BioShock, you take on the role of an average guy who's constantly finding himself put in weirder and more troublesome situations. Your plane has crashed over the ocean, you survive, and in your panic and bewilderment, you see a strange buoy. You swim over to it, and it leads you down to a brilliant underwater city that's suffered a colossal war, and it's on the brink of collapse. What helped cause the war was a genetic chemical that scientists discovered could enhance people to do extraordinary things -- far beyond normal capacity. But along with the great physical enhancements come horrific psychological ones.
<br>
<br>
For us, we wanted to have…we knew we had this theme of biological experimentation. That was at the heart of where all the players' powers and all of the creatures from the game came from. From this biological intentional mutation I wanted to build a world where that would happen and be believable and not in the far future, but something that we could speak to, like something we're dealing with now -- with stem cell research and the moral issues that go around. And I have my useless liberal arts degree, so I've read stuff from Ayn Rand and George Orwell, and all the sort of utopian and dystopian writings of the 20th century, which I've found really fascinating.
<br>
<br>
We had a similar vibe in System Shock 2 where, you know, the monsters -- and people weren't sure if it was going to work at the time -- but you would get a real sense of the monsters' humanity. You would find logs of them, where they would take you through the process turning from a human into something less or something more, depending on how you look at it. In BioShock, we're really taking that to the next step with that. We have actually been through some transitions in this. Originally, we just sort of made the monsters sort of "monstery" looking. And as they change they become more and more… Well, they're just sort of like you; they're people in their clothes in the period. Like the guy working at the docks and a woman working at a bank, an accountant, and an athlete. In other to survive the terrible events that happen here, these people start modifying themselves genetically, through the same techniques you are, and get a lot of the same powers you do. In order to survive, they get less and less human. You see that and you hear about that, and you observe that, and it brings you close to them and those experiences are the ones we try to bring you close to because they parallel your experiences, and you're becoming less human, and we want to make that feeling meaningful to the player.
<br>
<br>
I've always said that, when we were working on Thief, I'd rather have a story element about the moss arrow then about some cult you never get involved with in the game or some god or something. That's because I play with the moss arrow, it's part of my game experience; I want to tie that into the story. The same way here, the story is about people going through the same thing that you're actually going through in the game, as you modify your body and change it, and become something less or more than human. There are a bunch of other tools we have involved how we balance the game, what the resource economy is like, and how powerful you feel, and how deadly combats are. Those are all elements that go into it. The mood and the vibe are critically important.</blockquote>I have one question: How awesome is that?
<br>
*adds BioShock to the very, very short "can't wait to play this game" list*

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I said it coutnless times, this game has the potential to become something great.
Well, let's see what will turn out of this - I'm curious.

I especially love the fact that they abandonded the nazi-bunker idea which was ghosting trough the internet shortly after the official announcment and instead made this really awesome and original dystopian 50's underwater world.

You know, there was once an other awesome game which featured 50's retro feature style. I forgot how it was named, but it was definatly not bad. Maybe this is a good sign. :wink:

Gwendo

Augur
Just curious: what are those games in your shortlist, VD?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm afraid it's a really short list*:

"Can't wait" games:
BioShock & Gothic 3

"I really hope it's a good game" games:
Dragon Age

"Sounds promising, but they will probably fuck it up somehow" games:
NWN2

"Meh" games:
The Witcher, Geneforge 4

"Keep an eye out" games:
Realms of Arkania 4

From the non-rpg group, I'm interested in that Arcanum-inspired RTS and the fantasy Warhammer game.

*Based on the currently available info

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Dunno, haven't played it though the demo is just sitting on my HDD. I enjoyed Rise of Nations for a bit, so I'll like this. Probably even moreso due to the setting. Steampunk rocks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It definitely does.

Aye, caramba! 742 MB. It's gonna take a while.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I wrote a fairly good review of the demo in one of the Tcancer threads (the older one), but they released a second demo with a lot of the problems I talk about in that one fixed.

There is one thing I just noticed in the new demo, though. The trample units are seriously overpowered. With one glass golem I smashed through five or six squads of musketeers. With just a little micro, with one of those units you can utterly dominate a big section of an enemy's army. My personal pet peeve in the game is that the musketeers' final and most powerful "attack mode" that you get when you upgrade them all the way is a melee attack. That makes all kinds of sense. :roll:
Anyways, a lot of the units are kinda gimmicky like that.

Steampunk rocks.
It does, but only one of the civs are based on steampunk. The Alin are really cool as well, and of course nobody knows about Cuotl yet.

Anyways, I'm seriously thinking about buying this game and I haven't bought a game since Planescape Torment a few months back.

inso

Novice
I am a big fan of SS2 and seeing how this game can grand me a kind of choise i always wanted to have in System Shock 2 - being able to acctually join The Many, casting away all the cyber implants and getting further "upgrades" from my new masters, i am so easily exited over it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
They are kinda, but they also got the whole 'ancient horrors' thing going on and Horror Steampunk is already a genre.

Doppelganger

Novice
It's about putting you in terrifying situations and giving you horrific decisions to make and then having to live with them.

Cool, finally some choices and consequences. Thanks for the heads-up - on my list now, too, despite the overdone mutation theme it sounds great.

Ken Levine actually seems to have a brain, which must be a terrible burden in this industry. I'd pay good money to read his rewrite of Logan's Run ...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You can get Cuotl units on that 2v2 map that comes with the demo. Reminds me of the Gao'Uld (or whatever) from Stargate, they have those shooty spears. Cuotl do look cool though, though the Space Gorilla looks pretty dumb. The 2v2 map, by the way, takes place on a crashed UFO, if I remember correctly.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
There are only three game developers that I actually find interesting when I read their interviews. First is Bill Roper, second is Warren Spector (except I lost a lot of respect for him not taking charge of Deus Ex 2), and lastly Ken Levine.

Here's hoping that because this is an Xbox 360 game first and foremost that the PC version won't suck. Then again I can't really think of any game that was made for a console first that would be considered a cult classic for the PC. But this game does show promise.

LlamaGod

Cipher
bioshock-20060505101952676.jpg

This screenshot alone indicates the badassery of the game

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I wonder if you will be able to interact like through conversation with anyone? They said u can't converse with those little girls and things.

Mangler

Novice
System Shock 2 had Vodka in it. Its a sign, a good sign. Its almost a flashback of SS2... remember the deck 6 lounge area? (deck 6? the cryo/medical one at any rate)

The only entity that can mess up BioShock is Microsoft. Remember how Halo WAS a PC title?

Basically there is a slim chance M$ won't fxor up the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom