Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 431: George Ziets on Alternative Settings and New Games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Digimancy Entertainment; George Ziets; Matt Barton

The first episode of Matt Barton's interview with George Ziets is a direct continuation of his Digimancy Entertainment announcement from two weeks ago. George said then that he wants his new company to make RPGs with unusual settings, and in the first part of the episode he goes over some of those settings - Arcanum (he finds the Journey to the Center of Arcanum sequel concept intriguing), Ravenloft, the LucasArts adventure game Loom(!), and of course Planescape. In the second part of the episode, George shares his thoughts about a few new games, namely Disco Elysium, The Outer Worlds, and the upcoming Baldur's Gate III. It turns out that when Obsidian were trying to pitch their own BG3 back in 2008, there were a few people in the studio who tried in vain to make it turn-based. George believes that Larian's game will be turn-based, but he has no inside information about the project.

At the end of the episode George talks a bit about how he got his start in the gaming industry at Westwood, where he worked on cancelled MMO Earth & Beyond. Apparently he got an interview invitation from BioWare shortly after he started working there and had to turn them down - quite a life-changing decision. According to Matt, there will be at least three more episodes with George.

Xeon

Augur
Will be great if he could do a sequel to Arcanum but I think Activision has the rights or something and I am not sure they let people work on their IPs.

hexer

Thank God there's a developer out there who gets that fantasy isn't just elves and orcs.
Cool how he mentions Loom, I replayed it a few months ago :cool:

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ziets looks like he could be a female NPC in The Outer Worlds.

Hrmm.. With a little work you might mod your PC to look like Ziets.
Explore The Outer Worlds as George Ziets.
:shredder:

Will be great if he could do a sequel to Arcanum but I think Activision has the rights or something and I am not sure they let people work on their IPs.

This seems to be the state of things as of late. If the Activision behemoth should ever decide
to let people work on their Arcanum IP or auction it away, I'd still vote for it going to Drog
for an Arcanum sequel. Maybe Drog and Ziets could team up. Though that might be as
wild a dream as Barkley 2 ever emerging from the vaporware void.

Still, a glittering gem of hatred can dream.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Meh every time I hear PST I get upset. To even try making a similar game you should have a serious and I mean a serious lore already in place to build upon. No one is that smart and no one would be able to gather a team that good to think of all the things on the fly. Now it's like a buzzword like in the markets "china", "disruptive", "innovative", "cripto", "decentralisation" etc. Sounds good, means nothing and guarantees disappointment.

Darkforge

Augur
I want Dragonlance or Ravenloft. I am completely burnt out on FR at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom