Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher prefun at BlueAlien

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

There's a <a href="http://www.bluealien.org/node/136">preview</a> of <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/">The Witcher</a> over at <a href="http://www.bluealien.org/">BlueAlien</a>. It covers the darker style of the setting, the overhauled combat, redefinitions, and this spooge-worthy bit:
<br>
<blockquote>Players will take the role of The Witcher, Gerhard, a professional monster hunter with some minor magical powers. The Witcher appears to be very story driven – I observed a demonstration of the decision tree where each decision affected at least two other plot arcs in the game in different ways. As it stands there are over a thousand pages of dialogue, over one hundred main storyline quest and another hundred or so side quests. The play time is estimated to be 30 hours for the main quest with another 50 houres or so more for all of the side quests. Also, different types of monsters will appear in different weather conditions or times of day. The Witcher looks to have a very complicated, layered and branched storyline with the possibility of many hours of replay time.</blockquote>
<br>
A thousand pages of dialogue? Well, either way, I like seeing dialogue hyped for a change.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I wonder how many of the quests are actually solvable using dialog. Too few RPGs give that option.

aboyd

Liturgist
The Witcher has such a different marketing campaign from most other RPGs of late. They say little to nothing about the graphics, but continue to harp on the dialogue & multiple paths to resolve quests. That doesn't necessarily mean that The Witcher will be any better than any other RPG -- it could be terrible, dull, and way too action-oriented. But their approach is good. They talk about the things that I like. It makes me hopeful that what they talk about are the things they're proud of... the things they've put effort into. If true, the game has promise.

-T

Kendar

Novice
Not Geralt ?
Definitely Geralt, unless they have changed the name meanwhile.
A thousand pages of dialogue
If it is one thousand pages using the Oblivion font...
I wonder how many of the quests are actually solvable using dialog. Too few RPGs give that option.
I am still waiting for a game wich you can complete without virtually having to kill one single time, and even to fight one single time. For example, you can complete Arcanum without killing anything, but clearly the game is not designed to let me try.

spacemoose

Erudite
Didn't you guys hear - they renamed the protagonist in honor of Gerhard Schroder

Also what's spooge? Is that like krunk?

sheek

Arbiter
Kendar said:
I am still waiting for a game wich you can complete without virtually having to kill one single time, and even to fight one single time. For example, you can complete Arcanum without killing anything, but clearly the game is not designed to let me try.

A Witcher (from what I understand) is a professional monster killer. A Witcher game where you didn't kill anything would be STUPID.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elwro said:
Not Geralt? This is important for anyone who has read the books.
The name has been changed for the American audience. The focus group stated that Geralt sounds gay, while gerHARD sounds cool, manly, and dangerous in a "Hard. Ger Hard." kinda way.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
The name has been changed for the American audience. The focus group stated that Geralt sounds gay, while gerHARD sounds cool, manly, and dangerous in a "Hard. Ger Hard." kinda way.
It's sad when I'm not sure if you're joking or you're serious. Knowing that Japanese and Chinese game developers actively decrease the difficulty of their games when they port it to American audiences baffles me to no end. Not because they do it, but because they have to do it.

Damn american kids... STOP BEING SO STUPID!!! I need a challenge... 'begins to cry uncontrollably' ... and now the Polish think you're stupid too!

Prime Junta

Kos_Koa said:
Damn american kids... STOP BEING SO STUPID!!! I need a challenge... 'begins to cry uncontrollably' ... and now the Polish think you're stupid too!

There's a simple solution. Learn Polish. Or German. Or Chinese. Or Japanese. If you, unlike Amurrican kids, are not stupid, that shouldn't be too hard.

Data4

Arcane
Other than reading bits of info posted here, I haven't followed this game's progress much over the last couple of months. Today, I decided to look at Gamespot's screenshot gallery for it, and... wow...

I don't mind saying that the game looks fantastic. I also feel that since CDProjekt isn't spending all their PR budget on pimping the graphics, they've earned the right to have their graphics praised. Especially since they are addressing some of those core RPG gameplay elements that other ... uh... Elder game developers seem to ignore.

Good graphics to ADD to already solid gameplay can only be good. I just hope they don't fuck up a golden opportunity with this game.

-D4

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Elwro said:

I hope you're joking - please be joking. :?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Is it strange for an unknown Eastern European team? For a game based in a setting almost noone heard about?
Besides, it's horribly wrong that a top-notch game like Gothic wasn't properly released in English (along with the expansion) when it should have been. The reasons for delaying the release are beyond me. And the game was originally in German, not in such a relatively obscure language as Polish. I trust that CDProjekt are doing their best to find a publisher who will guarantee no similar upfuckery.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I trust that CDProjekt are doing their best to find a publisher who will guarantee no similar upfuckery.
I heard they are already in process of signing a contract with publisher.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Prime Junta said:
There's a simple solution. Learn Polish. Or German. Or Chinese. Or Japanese. If you, unlike Amurrican kids, are not stupid, that shouldn't be too hard.
Actually, you have a very good point. Since everyone around me speaks English, I have never had the incentive to learn another tongue, even though I have always wanted to. Maybe now is a good time to start.

Thanks for the advice, even if it was meant to be sarcastic. :wink:

Data4 said:
I also feel that since CDProjekt isn't spending all their PR budget on pimping the graphics, they've earned the right to have their graphics praised. Especially since they are addressing some of those core RPG gameplay elements that other ... uh... Elder game developers seem to ignore.
Yeah, I agree. It's hard to be skeptical when almost everything they have done so far seems promising. Like you said...

Data4 said:
I just hope they don't fuck up a golden opportunity with this game.

Lukas CDPr

Novice
Hazelnut said:
Vault Dweller said:
Elwro said:

I hope you're joking - please be joking. :?

Our hero's name is Geralt :). Nothing has changed about it. It's just stupid mistake :wink: Also info about possibility of playing "Witcher girl" is incorrect (it can be found on the few sites) :D .

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
You're a developer? Welcome, and don your armor :)
So how about the publisher, any news there?

sheek

Arbiter
Lukas, why exactly do you call The Witcher 'RPG redefined'? Who came up with that idea?

I looked on your website and I see the only stats are Strength, Agility and Endurance. I visit your site because I am looking forward to playing your game regardless of that but I think your PR hype may backfire on you.

Kendar

Novice
Since you worlk on the game :
Geralt is known for killing monsters. Ok. Now, promise me that besides the aforementionned monsters, we never have to kill anything and can always speak our way through.

Yes, I am asking for weird things, so what ?

jplestat

Novice
Kendar said:
Not Geralt ?

That would be called an adventure game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom