Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 450: Winston Douglas Wood on Phantasie III, Star Command and Phantasie IV

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Matt Barton; Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus; Phantasie IV: The Birth of Heroes; Star Command; StarCraft Inc.; Strategic Simulations, Inc.; Winston Douglas Wood

The third episode of Matt Barton's interview with Winston Douglas Wood begins with what turns out to be a fairly brief discussion of Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus. The final game in the original trilogy included various new gameplay mechanics such as the ability to position characters in combat and a limb loss system inspired by RuneQuest. Winston approves of the former feature but isn't as sure about the latter, which he implies may have been more complex than it was worth. The interview quickly moves on to Star Command, a game that Winston is proud of but which suffered commercially due to the poor quality of its ports to the Amiga and Atari and the complete lack of a C64 port. He also recounts how three days before the game was released, he learned that somebody from SSI had changed all of its weapons, ruining his cousin's carefully playtested balance.

After Star Command, Winston was finally invited to SSI's headquarters to meet with representatives from a Japanese company named StarCraft Inc who wanted to hire him to create what would become the Japan-exclusive Phantasie IV: The Birth of Heroes. In reality, he simply designed the game on paper and they did everything else. Remarkably, he's never actually played it, although he has watched playthroughs on YouTube. They do appear to have implemented the new features Winston designed, including an innovative character creation system where players could select their characters' parents, intended to allow them to continue the legacy of their characters from the original trilogy. Indeed, his experience with StarCraft was positive enough that he agreed to make another game with them called Starfire a few years later, which is the topic of the interview's next episode.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There was a website a few years ago that was a complete walkthrough with pics (japanese site). They also had Rogue Alliance (the japanese version of Realms of Darkness). I like part of that box art for P4 and its a pity there's not poster. Mostly Pc-88, 98, and MSX i guess?

While amiga and atari st are praised, the missing on P2 sucks. I still enjoy the c64 version esp for the sound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom