Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Weird West Gameplay Developer Commentary Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Devolver Digital; Raphael Colantonio; Weird West; WolfEye Studios

Indie publisher Devolver Digital broadcast their wacky annual event today. Weird West did not make an appearance during the stream itself, but they did hide a new trailer for it in their free Devolverland Expo promotional game, which was soon uploaded to YouTube as well. It's a developer commentary trailer narrated by Raf Colantonio that offers an overview of the game's primary features - simulation, setting and visual direction, a dynamic event system, and permanent consequences that can't be reverted by reloading a saved game.

If you'd like to hear more, Raf also spoke about Weird West in an interview with GameSpot and in a quick Q&A with PC Gamer, both published last week.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...and permanent consequences that can't be reverted by reloading a saved game.
icon_twisted.gif

...the rest? Meh.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All I want is a Shadowrun-esque game set in the Wild West, but it is such an unexploited setting I guess anything is fine by this point.

Immersive sim is welcome too, but I don't know about an immersive sim that isn't first-person.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If the devs' previous games are any indcation, this will be a gameplay-driven game rather than narrative/dialogue-driven, which is usually a plus. Not many devs are good at the no-handholding sandboxy choose-you-own-path design, so this is why I'm interested in what happens with it. It might also be why he's calling it an aRPG rather than a RPG.

Isak

Educated
"Red Dead Diablo" looks pretty interesting.

This looks very interesting indeed. I’ve always thought the supernatural in the wild west was a fertile, unexplored frontier.
Excellent mechanics, love the development so far. Hope the line of sight is optional. reloading reloading ‘oh shit’ did i do that.

If you're interested in this, Hard West was another pretty good weird west game that this seems reminiscent of. It had its problems, but it was still a fun and unique game.
Another game that this reminds me of is this isometric immersive sim RPG called Seven, which is interesting as well (if somewhat flawed).

Last edited:

urmom

Learned
So now we have regular GTA, medieval GTA, and western GTA?

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
No reloading sounds gimmicky. Combat mechanic might be fun, everything else is almost guaranteed to be bland due to sandbox and permanently locked out content.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a fan of forced saving systems like that.
By all means, design your game around a certain way of save game behavior, make that the default (and only way to earn achievements, etc.), but allow players to choose what they prefer on a new game.

This just sounds like you could accidentally cause all kinds of unwanted crap to happen by pressing "shoot" instead of "interact", etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To me it sounds like it's a kind of roguelike, although notice how Raf carefully avoids using the term "procedural" when describing the dynamic event system "tailored to each player's experience".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems okay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom