Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tortured Hearts is a successor to the NWN module series over twelve years in the making

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Teleport Games; Tortured Hearts - or, How I Saved The Universe. Again.

During the mid-2000s, a Hungarian gentleman by the name of Zoltán Gonda (aka SubBassman) released a two part series of Neverwinter Nights modules called Tortured Hearts which were fairly well-received. As it turns out, soon afterwards Zoltan began working on a standalone Tortured Hearts game, which became public knowledge when he and his US-based partner Lenore Hoehl launched an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign for it back in 2012. Despite this failure, development on the game actually never ceased, something which most people only became aware of when it suddenly resurfaced at the beginning of this year. First there was a Steam page, then a demo, then a few gameplay videos courtesy of none other than Fluent, and finally launch day. The game's full title is Tortured Hearts - Or How I Saved The Universe. Again. and it seems pretty strange, with turn-based combat and an unusual first-person perspective. Just check out this trailer:

Tortured Hearts - Or How I Saved The Universe. Again. was created by 1 person with the occasional help of a few others, in 12.5 years. It's a quasi sequel of 2 NWN-1 mods by the title of Tortured Hearts I & II.

This is an old fashioned, hard-core CRPG featuring turn-based combat and an estimated 200 hours play time, minimum. TH is supposed to be speed-run proof. The story of the game is about a Seasoned Adventurer who merely was out for a little loot and glory, but finds him/herself getting to the bottom of who actually runs the universe.

The story is conversation driven and spans 185 areas in a multiverse, with a potential 8 major henchmen plus a few lesser ones available. Hundreds of NPCs and many meaningful conversations await you. Your behavior and answers in conversation will result in lasting consequences through the game, influencing the henchmen available to you and your relationships with them, the quests available, and the outcomes of quests and the final outcome.

There is a very versatile, non-class based character development system. By using different character builds and choosing different actions, there is great re-playability.

Supported Aspect Ratios: 16:10, 16:9

OK then! Tortured Hearts is available on Steam for the Grimoire-esque price of $40, with a 10% launch discount until next week. At least there's a demo. More details are available on the game's official website.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
A neverwinter knights module? Like the free ones you could download? And this one you pay for? Is paying for mods a thing?

Edit ... since that post I see its not what I jumped the gun about.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
This game was better graphically and had better gameplay as a module of NWN. I think that is enough for anyone to have an idea of what to expect.

The story tries to be funny in the self-aware sense, in the worst possible sense of the thing. Just watch a bit of Fluent's videos if you dare.

Codex Year of the Donut
The LP videos seem surprisingly... okay?
Should have set the price at $14.99, and it might have sold a bit with better marketing.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Hard for devs to bring their price down and I get it. People are complaining about your game costing more than a pizza when it only takes 30 mins to make a pizza and 1000+ hours to make a game.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
As it turns out, soon afterwards Zoltan began working on a standalone Tortured Hearts game, which became public knowledge when he and his US-based partner Lenore Hoehl launched an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign for it back in 2012. Despite this failure, development on the game actually never ceased, something which most people only became aware of when it suddenly resurfaced at the beginning of this year.

What have you done villain of the story...

9l0PpZA.png

Skdursh

Savant
Well, Time to watch a few let's play but $40 for a mod... fuck no!

It's not a mod, you retard. It's a follow-up standalone game to what was originally a mod. Holy shit, it's like you didn't even read the whole title of the post and only saw like 3 words and decided that was enough information for you to take a stance on this game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The guy wanted 300,000$ or so to hire programmers to port a NWN mod to Unity, and got jack.

So he just went on and programmed it himself. If he had wanted to build a space shuttle he would have constructed one with whatever parts he found in his garage. Of course the result looks like shit. But he being him couldn't give up for psychological reasons.

He pulled it off, so far so good. The guy is persevering asf. But the part I don't understand is the selling it for 40$ part. If the story is as good as some people say it could work as a 10$ game, but no one pays AAA prices for a piece of shit even if it has good story.

Numbers never were his forte I am afraid, he already went completely overboard with the kickstarter but didn't learn anything. He will sell a few hundred copies but say he pursued his dream, and in a way he did. Though working 13 years alone without financial reward is what I imagine to be hell on Earth than a dream.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Hard for devs to bring their price down and I get it. People are complaining about your game costing more than a pizza when it only takes 30 mins to make a pizza and 1000+ hours to make a game.
A single pizza can't be endlessly copied and sold to an unlimited number of people.

Still from the consumer perspective. This pizza that will make me happy for 1-2 hours possibly less VS this piece of software that I will play for days or weeks on end.
Back in the 90s Jeff Vogel would charge the equivalent of $45 in today's money for his games.

Codex Year of the Donut
A single pizza can't be endlessly copied and sold to an unlimited number of people.

Still from the consumer perspective. This pizza that will make me happy for 1-2 hours possibly less VS this piece of software that I will play for days or weeks on end.
Back in the 90s Jeff Vogel would charge the equivalent of $45 in today's money for his games.
Food is a necessity, entertainment is a luxury.
Also, it costs about $8 for a large pizza where I live :M

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Pizzas cannot be copied millions of time so this is one of the dumbest comparisons one could think of. Also if this game is a pizza there are thousands of other pizzas that have much production values, lower price and much more visibility. And people can only eat that much pizza.

In capitalism you can put any price on your items you want. You could sell Tortured Hearts for 4,000$ if you want or ask for a 30,000,000 kickstarter. But the question you need to ask yourself is what you actually think you can achieve.

As in the failed kickstarter the developer thinks of making money like development was some computer game by itself, but people will probably let him down again.

Kliwer

Savant
Unfortunately, I can't play this game because the hardware requirements are too great for my laptop.

However, I am surprised by the attitude of forum users. I don't know if this game is good or not. But it looks promising. The graphics are readable and non-disgusting (i.e. enough for people who appreciate gameplay). Anyone who criticizes this title in advance is clearly retarded. I think it's worth giving it a chance. Ratings after 10 minutes of gameplay (or just after watching videos) remind me of the shitty mainstream reviews. Be ashamed.

I'm waiting for some broader comment from someone who really played the game.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

Food is a necessity, entertainment is a luxury.
Also, it costs about $8 for a large pizza where I live :M

Food is a necessity not pizza. Pizza in many European countries costs 12-15 euros.
Pizza is a luxury, especially if you're unemployed.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get the graphics comments. Anyone who says NWN looks better than this sure hasn't played NWN recently. This looks more similar to NWN2, the main detriment is maybe art style, but some of it looks quite good, and the rest just looks tolerable.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm glad to hear that some people get upset when a guy asks for $40 for a game it took him 12+ years to finish because I thought such retards exist only in Poland. I'm relieved.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm glad to hear that some people get upset when a guy asks for $40 for a game it took him 12+ years to finish because I thought such retards exist only in Poland. I'm relieved.
Most of the world doesn't believe in the labor theory of value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom