Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamedec gets a cinematic trailer, releasing on September 16th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Anshar Studios; Gamedec

GamesRadar+ ran another one of their Future Games Show showcase events today, during which numerous new game trailers were unveiled. Among the games to make an appearance there was Gamedec, the upcoming cyberpunk virtual world detective RPG from Polish developer Anshar Studios. We last reported about Gamedec when its release was postponed to 2021 last year, and now we know that it's coming out on September 16th. The fancy cinematic trailer produced by Anshar offers a glimpse at the gamedec profession across the game's various virtual worlds.

It's a good sign that they can afford to work on the game for that much longer. Apparently a new demo will be made available tomorrow, featuring a different scenario than the one released last year.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
First time hearing of this game (or maybe I did and forgot about it). Trailer gives me no idea what the hell this game is.

deuxhero, maybe a Steam Page will help? https://store.steampowered.com/app/917720/Gamedec/

Gamedec is a single-player cyberpunk isometric RPG. You are a game detective, who solves crimes inside virtual worlds. Use your wits to gather info from your witnesses and suspects, getting to the bottom of deceptive schemes. The game continually adapts to your decisions and never judges.

A free demo will be available today.

fd1a03a73d2cfef48d9f7362dcf2a48a451fb36e.png

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
'cyberpunk game made by polish people lmao'?
More like "video game detective". Granted, I don't know the source material, but if you have a problem with a video game, you might consider just logging off. And why involve game detectives? Don't video games have all-powerful admins? Don't they require direct input to the game's server for you to do something? How could you hide a crime then, when everything is plain to see? Silly in that sense.

Now, I'm not saying that no good story can be told in a setting with a silly premise, but to enjoy a game (specifically an RPG focused on storytelling) I need to suspend my disbelief and immerse myself, which is hard when these kinds of question plague me.

Still, I wish the devs success.

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
Ok, I have some answers.

1. Sometimes you can't log off. You're in a semi-coma while using gaming couches, you take a pill to stop the body's urge to urinate, and so on. If you exceed 4 days, you're putting your brain [life] in danger. Imagine someone is blocking you from logging off, and you're on the verge of the 4 days rule. Your family doesn't know why you can't just log off and hires a gamedec to investigate and help you get out.
2. Admins can be bribed to make your in-game time miserable. There are also cheaters using backdoors to troll people or know their secrets. Again - Gamedec can help you.
3. Records and replays won't do anything if someone is wearing an anonymity skin. If you're a CEO, a don't want to be seen in a Twisted & Perverted game as a perv maniac with an urge to kill your love partner, you will be definitely using one. Hackers can take it off, take pictures or record videos of you being a sadist, and then blackmail you and your family in real life. You hire a gamedec to find the blackmailer and the evidence to destroy it or if you hate that CEO, send it to the press.

This is the 22nd century reality, and it would be easier to understand if someone watched some dev-diaries or read some lore-articles we've written :)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Video game detective" [is a silly idea]. Granted, I don't know the source material, but if you have a problem with a video game, you might consider just logging off.
You realize you're sounding like somebody's mom?
"Pause your game dear, it's time for dinner."
"I can't pause it mom, it's multiplayer."
"Just pause it dear, you can pick it up after dinner."
"..."

As technology gets weirder in ways we can't predict now, the laws will have to change to keep up with them or else baffled legislators (as many have) will end up looking like your mom. Think of any senate hearing where they wanted to ban video games because they had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. The idea of professional investigators, specializing in the specific problems of a given new technology that regular law enforcement can't keep up with, makes perfect sense. These kinds of concepts emerge very naturally from history and make excellent science fiction in my opinion.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
1. Sometimes you can't log off. You're in a semi-coma while using gaming couches, you take a pill to stop the body's urge to urinate, and so on. If you exceed 4 days, you're putting your brain [life] in danger. Imagine someone is blocking you from logging off, and you're on the verge of the 4 days rule. Your family doesn't know why you can't just log off and hires a gamedec to investigate and help you get out.
That seems WILDLY dangerous. It would be an absolute priority to make logging off easily possible or to make hard disconnect completely safe, else few thrill-seekers would dare use it, let alone the technology going commercial.

2. Admins can be bribed to make your in-game time miserable. There are also cheaters using backdoors to troll people or know their secrets. Again - Gamedec can help you.
3. Records and replays won't do anything if someone is wearing an anonymity skin. If you're a CEO, a don't want to be seen in a Twisted & Perverted game as a perv maniac with an urge to kill your love partner, you will be definitely using one. Hackers can take it off, take pictures or record videos of you being a sadist, and then blackmail you and your family in real life. You hire a gamedec to find the blackmailer and the evidence to destroy it or if you hate that CEO, send it to the press.
Yeah, ok, I see how that could work.

This is the 22nd century reality, and it would be easier to understand if someone watched some dev-diaries or read some lore-articles we've written :)
I guess I won't bombard you with questions then and go try the demo instead.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
If you'd rather see science fiction about the real future, where thrills are cancelled and no one can own anything more dangerous than a rubber ball, write it yourself. But I won't buy the video game.
You're trying a bit too hard buddy.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
He doesn't believe games without combat can be RPGs.

I think that's primarily because table top RPGs stemmed from tabletop wargames. It wasn't until later on that they decided that maybe skills other than the sword or fireball could use some definition. That said, I think it's probably harder to make a CRPG without combat than it is to have combat. Look at most of the CRPGs that are really good, and look at the skill sets those game have. How many of them have almost half their skills devoted to combat. They focus combat skills down to what type of weapon you have in your hand, but generalize most of the other skills to a broad range of something. It's a mindset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom