Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News The Old World prevideoing from Captain Shack

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord; The Old World

Since I've had a few people mention that I should mention mods every so often, I caught a video by CaptainShack talking about The Old World which is a Warhammer inspired mod for Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord. You can contact them via Discord or on this thread on the Taleworlds forum.

What we plan to release:

The overhaul will be released in different stages. The first stage will include the Empire of Man, the Vampire Counts and the Dwarfs. From this point forward we look to expand upon the Old World itself and include as many of the factions and significant locations as we can with time.

The overall end goal is to recreate the entirety of the Old World within Bannerlord, ensuring all factions and locations are lore accurate and immersive while maintaining the sandbox elements that make Mount and Blade so enjoyable.​

I kind of agree, it will be interesting to see how they manage to add spells to a game that has nothing like spells.

Skdursh

Savant
Mods were the best part about the previous M&B games. Is Bannerlord worth buying as it is?

Only buy it if you're okay with sitting on it for a few more years with the belief that it *could* one day measure up to and surpass Warband. Right now it's really only a shell of a game.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Mods were the best part about the previous M&B games. Is Bannerlord worth buying as it is?

I bought it when the early access was released, but from what I've heard Taleworlds essentially left a skeleton crew to fix the game after the initial release. It's insane that simple shit like perks giving a percentage increase to something didn't work half a year after release.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Seems strange that there still isn't a turn-based Warhammer Fantasy game. Not grand battles or first-person swordfights. I've seen those . . . I mean, where's the proper party-based game?
Unless it's really out there and I'm assuming it's some sort brawling action game.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems strange that there still isn't a turn-based Warhammer Fantasy game. Not grand battles or first-person swordfights. I've seen those . . . I mean, where's the proper party-based game?
Unless it's really out there and I'm assuming it's some sort brawling action game.
Well... you sorta have Mordheim. And that's it, I guess,

Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
If you're buying it for the base game, yes. If you're buying it for mods, wait another 3-5 years because these total conversion mods just started development 12-15 months ago.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I don't think codex wants to hear it but the profit margins/effort ratio just aren't there for turn-based games.

Can they be successful? Yes. But the amount of effort that goes into them are monumental and few studios want to put in the work.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

I don't think codex wants to hear it but the profit margins/effort ratio just aren't there for turn-based games.

Can they be successful? Yes. But the amount of effort that goes into them are monumental and few studios want to put in the work.

I mean Stormground and the 40k one look to be smaller scale games. GW wants you to more or less buy the actual games and doesn't seem to be overly down on not having that be a thing.

flabbyjack

Arcane
SerratedBiz

Here is the link for the open letter to Taleworlds from the community --
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...6znYETQcdxeN_hwadmwm1Ev0YBR0_NQUCioNmpWSg/pub

tldr --
This open letter is the product of massive amounts of frustration and concerns within the Bannerlord modding community. It’s been almost a year since Bannerlord Early Access was released, and based off of the ~30 patches that have been released for the game, we think TaleWorlds’ priorities are highly misaligned with the needs of the modding community.

Last edited:

Reader

Scholar
where's the proper party-based game?
As far as i know GW is very weird and touchy about to whom to give the license to make a video game.

Also
a turn-based Warhammer Fantasy game
this is motherfucking Sigmar.
Do you really want to see him standing still grunting without any action?
da1kcos-f27722d3-5fe1-42a9-b37c-635941e4ec90.jpg

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you're buying it for the base game, yes. If you're buying it for mods, wait another 3-5 years because these total conversion mods just started development 12-15 months ago.
TaleWorlds had promised that the way Bannerlord was going to handle mods was going to be more akin to how it was in Bethesda games - it was all going to be highly modular, so that you could run several concurrent mods that edited or added to various aspects of the game, unlike how Warband handled mods (where whatever mods you wanted to use all needed to be bundled together in the same "package").

Problem is, that didn't really materialize - after launch there was a small surge of mods, but that quickly petered out a few months afterwards. I sincerely doubt the already-present M&B modding community, or possible new modders attracted to the popularity of the franchise, wouldn't be able to release a steady stream of smaller mods - yet when I look at the Nexus page for Bannerlord I notice that the number of new mods nowadays is minuscule - fucking Stardew Valley has a more active modding community than Bannerlord.

Something has obviously gone horribly wrong, both with the game, and with the way TaleWorlds has decided to handle modding.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
flabbyjack posted a community letter from some of the modder teams to TaleWorlds. It does offer some good insight into why Bannerlord's mods are pretty much restricted to minor tweaks or fixes, and that's because a) the code has been gimped to the point where they're unable to easily make any changes; and b) because the code's documentation is practically non-existent.

At first I thought the letter sounded a little demanding but then I remembered how critical the modding scene was for M&B.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm still confused as to why they didn't just make a prettier Warband with some more polish.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm still confused as to why they didn't just make a prettier Warband with some more polish.

For me, and I haven't played it in a few months, it was just "prettier Warband". There's really not a heck of a lot new in Bannerlord, at least not a few months ago. I know they've been improving it, but it felt more like a few tweaks and minor additions to the original rather than a sequel.

_V_

Scholar
For me, and I haven't played it in a few months, it was just "prettier M&B". There's really not a heck of a lot new in Warband, at least not a few months ago. I know they've been improving it, but it felt more like a few tweaks and minor additions to the original rather than a sequel.
Sounds familiar... But M&B/Warband must be in my top 3 for most/longest played. So Bannerlord will be bought... eventually.
Hopefully this mod will be released by that time. Can only be a few more years.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

For me, and I haven't played it in a few months, it was just "prettier Warband". There's really not a heck of a lot new in Bannerlord, at least not a few months ago. I know they've been improving it, but it felt more like a few tweaks and minor additions to the original rather than a sequel.

If that's true, and not a lot of things were changed (maybe a new engine?), then its dev time is quite long for what it is.

People harp on Bethseda for sticking to gamebryo for as long as they did, but imagine if switching to a new engine added a decade to your dev time.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Don't get me wrong. I don't regret my purchase of M&B2 at all. I was just thinking that given the dev time, it would be a big step up from the original especially with all the spin off games that came out for the original engine. Just taking one example from those spin offs, naval combat would have been interesting in M&B2, especially attacking a coastal city from the ocean. I also think you should have been able to make cities, castles and so on. We'll see where the mods go, but I just thought M&B2 would have been more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom