Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New action steampunk RPG - Silverfall

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Silverfall

<a href=http://www.kg.com.ua/projects.html>Silverfall</a> is a new Ukrainian action RPG with a steampunk twist. The website informs you in a friendly mannger about "Advanced 3D graphics and fascinating storyline for the game. In game we are using the latest graphical techniques and tools".
<br>
<br>
Anyway, if you are still reading, here is <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/silverfall/news.html?sid=6151265>Gamespot E3 preview</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It's set in a fantasy universe, with the kind of fare you'd usually expect to see in such games. Goblins, elves, humans, and trolls form the playable races, and magic and crude (by our standards) technology form the bases of power within the game. The world itself has been ruled by magicians for generations, but now the goblin steam inventions are threatening to destabilise the political balance, and the end of the old order is nigh.
<br>
<br>
When you start the game, once you've chosen the race, gender, and facial customisations, you'll begin your journey in one of the cities governed by the magicians. This brings home immediately the central theme of the game: the conflict of nature versus technology. Throughout the game you'll face a number of decisions, each of them falling on either side of the divide--and depending on your choices you'll edge further towards, or further away from, each one.</blockquote>Here is <a href=http://www.gaminggroove.com/newsitem.php?id=6409>the latest press-release</a> with more info plus some screens, showing a mechanical dragon thingy on wheels:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Gameplay Features:
<br>
# A vast, open fantasy universe offering complete freedom, from the flying zeppelin city of Cloudworks to the mage volcano of Brazer
<br>
# 150+ creatures and bosses
<br>
# Create your own character from a choice of four races and release your inner beast by transforming into a fearsome, flesh rending were-beast
<br>
# Build your team of two from a choice of eight companions. Each of them has their own story, background, abilities and can endow you with quests. The way you treat them will alter their loyalties ? they can become your friend for life or even a lover
<br>
# Manage your character?s evolution by choosing from 130+ skills and spells. Create precisely the character you want to play and adapt it to your style of play
<br>
# Two multiplayer modes ? the first allows the player to connect to any party, compose their team and play in co-op or PVP (up to eight players); the second sees the player compose a team at the beginning and play through the entire story together.
<br>
# Dazzling light, shadow and particle effects
<br>
# Real-time streaming of universe minimises loading between regions
<br>
# Ragdoll physics and particle effects lend greater reality to spell effects</blockquote>Doesn't sound overly exciting, but the magic-vs-technology angle could be more entertaining than the tired Dungeon Siege/Teen Titan Quest motives.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Twinfalls

Erudite
It'd be nice if the website really did inform us in a friendly manger.

You know, a nice, warm barn motif with some straw, a cute horse, maybe the odd Messiah

ad hominem

Scholar
Twinfalls said:
It'd be nice if the website really did inform us in a friendly manger.

You know, a nice, warm barn motif with some straw, a cute horse, maybe the odd Messiah
:lol:

Looks kind of interesting, though. But what the hell kind of city name is Newl? ? Punctuation as letters now?

psycojester

Arbiter
Maybe the inhabitants of Newl? are squatter and aren't sure what their city is called?

Or possible their a bit like the overly exictable inhabitants of the town of Penge!

jeansberg

Liturgist
Note how the npc/character models look compared to the dragon and the background models.

Looks like cel-shading or something. I hate it when games combine styles like that!

Twinfalls

Erudite
That must be the world's first mini-map to sport bad hair and a beard.

(top right of the screenshot)

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Jeansberg - yeah, but I don't mind that kind of style. It won't be the first game ever to use the style and I'm sure it won't be the last.

My issue is that it looks like a straight action RPG so I'm very unlikely to buy the game despite loving steampunk settings.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Looks sweet. That dragon is bad ass.

It's a different art style, but it's better than another omg light bloom everywhere "motif."

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Starting up that dragon with dodecagons for wheels must be a pain in the ass. And that picture, at least to me, says "fuck gravity."

Moggs

Liturgist
I actually quite like the art style. I'm sure the actual game will suck arse though.

spacemoose

Erudite
Now that I think of it, if I was 12 and just finding RPGs, a game like this would probably really appeal to me. I mean it likely has numbers that go up, unambiguously showing your progress, phat lewt that not only has nice numbers associated with it but also looks shiny. You can most likely use that phat lewt to beat up on enemies, see them driven before you. The only thing its missing is the lamentations of their women.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Silverfall: of steamworks and magick obscura (or so the devs wish).

I always thought a steampunk setting meant more than just "hurr, let's make monsters made of wood that bellow steam" but oh well.

psycojester

Arbiter
I'm just imagining the kind of women a giant wooden dragon/boiler has lamenting its demise

tetsuo

Scholar
yeah the game is fully cell shadet i saw an article about it here in a german gamemag with more pics and i have to say i think it looks great , i actually love cell shading , i played many games that use it (yeah i know i play too mutch jrpgs , dont hate me) but this is the best use of it ive ever seen, beats even dq8s cell shading for me by far. i hope the gameplay will be as good as well.

jeansberg

Liturgist
The thing that struck me was the different styles of the characters compared to, for example the dragon. They look like they were pasted in from a X-men game or something.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone notice the armored dude behind the magic swirl and dragon breath? I kind of dig that irony looking armor there.

Xi

Arcane
I'm somewhat intrigued by this game. I've heard of the name before on different sites, but this is the first time I have actually seen it. Graphically it looks like they pulled off the character cell shading pretty well.

Yes, it does appear to be Diabloish though. After having played Titan Quest recently i'm not sure how I feel about that. Still it's cool to see a new development studio who is willing to unleash their creative side - even with the marketing tychoons breathing down their necks!

Modification of Silverfall, the principal city, according to the player's alignment. The city changes in appearance, the merchants do not sell the same merchandise, etc...

I found this to be an interesting feature. Looks like the game is worth a look, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom