Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview SoU pow wow over at PC.IGN

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide

<A href="http://pc.ign.com/">PC.IGN</a> has a <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/393/393866p1.html">neat interview</a> with the <A href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> chaps about <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com/shadows/">Shadows of Undrentide</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>IGNPC: Can you also describe the experience that is Neverwinter Nights? Could you possibly detail the experience you'd expect all types of gamers to receive from Shadows of Undrentide?
<br>
<br>
Tom Ohle:</b> Neverwinter Nights is one of the closest adaptations to date of Wizards of the Coast's 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules on the PC (soon to be Mac and Linux, as well). Aside from a great CRPG, Neverwinter Nights also offers gamers the ability to create their own adventures with the BioWare's Aurora Neverwinter Nights Toolset. There are currently over 2000 user-created modules available for download through the game's numerous fansites, and the BioWare Live Team is continually developing new features for the game. Shadows of Undrentide gives those module creators even more customizability, and offers a number of new features for all fans of role-playing games. All of the new creatures, character classes, spells, etc. are officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons elements.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, <b>Tom</b>. It's one of the closest implimentations because there's only <b>three of them</b>. Other variations of this statement, for the future, <b>Tom</b>, would include, <i>It's the closest implimentation to 3E ever made by Canadians who work with me.</i>
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="Http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>

Jarinor

Liturgist
Being that there's only three impementations so far, the phrase "one of the" implies that there's a better implementation in either PoR2 or IWD2. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does it?

Also, I love these bits:

BioWare makes quality games with such uncanny consistency that it's absolutely terrifying.

Yes, yes they d- NO, WAIT A SECOND, they make SHIT games!

Continuing on...

Every single damn thing that comes out of that house is so cool and soaked in so much polish and tender loving care that it utterly devastates the competition, given there is anything that's brazen enough to call itself competition to BioWare.

Well, given they do sell a lot of copies of their Shit-in-a-boxâ„¢, this statement isn't entirely inaccurate...it's still a load of shit though. I think that Bioware may just sell a box full of press releases and hype from game sites instead of a game next time. Save them money, and people wouldn't know the difference anyway.

One of the primary goals was to allow for more role-playing options. To that end, there are several ways to play through most situations. Evil characters may just choose to let someone die, whereas a good player will work to help the person in need. The evil character would then steal the item from the corpse, while the good player may receive it as a reward.

So...no matter what you do, everyone gets the same reward anyway? I've got to know, how is that different to how NWN ALREADY plays?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, you have to love the spin that PC.IGN puts on NWN in that openning header alone. That was enough to make me gag, especially when BioWare's never done anything no one else has done.. And NWN is the antithesis of polish. A polished game wouldn't require dozens of patches and a fan base to make it fun.

Ibbz

Augur
least they provided the patches :D

And ya never know, Udrentide may surprise you.

Section8

Cipher
Heh. Those quotes remind me of Herb Powell in the Simpsons. I bet one of those fake doctor fuckwits said to IGN "Hang up, call me back, and say the exact opposite of everything you just said."

Rager_Kaine

Novice
Neverwinter Nights is the worse Dungeons and Dragons product that I have ever bought for my PC. I am not even going to bother with SoU. Why buy an expansion for a game that I hate?

The Temple of Elemental Evil from Troika will be the best implemented 3e game when it hits the market, if everything that Troika has said is true.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
When I click on that link I get a commercial portal. Three guesses for which box.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

I really hope this expansion bombs so the Bioware folks can't hide behind sale numbers for an excuse of a bad game. With the amount of negative feedback NWN gets, even from it's own boards makes me want to say "you can fool us once, but not twice".

Jed

Cipher
Rager_Kaine said:
The Temple of Elemental Evil from Troika will be the best implemented 3e game when it hits the market, if everything that Troika has said is true.
If only even half of the things Troika said are true, it will still be the best, considering the competition.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
BioWare makes quality games with such uncanny consistency that it's absolutely terrifying. Every single damn thing that comes out of that house is so cool and soaked in so much polish and tender loving care that it utterly devastates the competition, given there is anything that's brazen enough to call itself competition to BioWare.

Sounds like someone wants their cock stroked. (sorry for the shitty link, but the LA Times wants money for archived stories).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom