Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple of Elemental Evil developer chat coming up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

RPG Codex, that's us in case you stumbled in here drunk or something, will be hosting a developer chat with the guys and girls of <A href="Http://www.troikagames.com">Troika</a>, because we lub them and they're making <a href="http://www.troikagames.com/toee.htm">Temple of Elemental Evil</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>The Time:</b> 8PM Eastern(5PM Pacific) on Thursday, May 1st
<br>
<b>The Place:</b> #rpgcodex on <a href="http://www.gamesnet.net">irc.gamesnet.net</a></blockquote>
<br>
<br>
There you go, kids!
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
Yay! I'm so glad I'm on EST. Anyways, if there's anyone who can't make it and wants me to ask their questions, PM me.

Jarinor

Liturgist
How can EST be Pacific time? The Pacific is on the west coast of America. Still, if it's -5 GMT, then that would make it...11 am for me. Hurray! On a Friday...while I'm at uni...DAMN!

Spazmo

Erudite
Bah. All you need is a laptop and a wireless receiver. Failing that, just cut class. Tim Cain is obviously more important than your education.

Deathy

Liturgist
Jarinor said:
How can EST be Pacific time? The Pacific is on the west coast of America. Still, if it's -5 GMT, then that would make it...11 am for me. Hurray! On a Friday...while I'm at uni...DAMN!

Hah, Friday is my day off from uni (along with Tuesday, I like having 16 contact hours per week)

But uni is the only place I have an internet connection, at least for a few weeks.

triCritical

Erudite
My ToEE question is as follows. I will still be at work maybe? So I will leave it here for someone else to ask, pretty please.

The 3E rules provide the player with some very tactical combat options. Furthermore, since you are following the rules to the letter, I was wondering what has been done to keep the combat both tactical and interesting to all the players that might play the game? More specifically, will combat encounters be relatively small like in Fallout ONE, as opposed to the boring relentless hordes of foes we faced in NWN, which essentially cheapened the experience?

PLEASE PLEASE ask my question.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
<Saint_Proverbius> <Spazmo> TriCritical sez: The 3E rules provide the player with some very tactical combat options. Furthermore, since you are following the rules to the letter, I was wondering what has been done to keep the combat both tactical and interesting to all the players that might play the game?
<Smoove_B> The only reason we can see so far is by standing on the great shoulders of those before us.
<TimCain> We have made the common things you do (move, use, attack) simple.
<TimCain> MOre complex actions (full attack, ready, etc) are selected from a radial menu
<TimCain> Novices can ignore those things
<[Troika]Steve> We kept the game simble by realizing that 90% of the time you want to do the simple 10% of the actions. These are usually move and attack. So the default action in most cases will get you thru a combat. However if you have a full action left and DON'T want to shoot two arrows with your bow, chose a standard attack rather than a full to make sure you do exactly what you do.
<[troika]Aaron> there are options to toggle certain functionality on and off
<TimCain> Advanced players can use them to tactical advantage
<[troika]Aaron> to make things easier for the novice player
<Smoove_B> The game is made up of layers; if you just want to click on the monster that's all you have to do.
<TimCain> The game is like an onion
<TimCain> It's bitter and makes you cry
<TimCain> I mean, it has layers
<Smoove_B> A wonderful pleasurable onion.
<Smoove_B> Sweet onion of joy.
<TimCain> GA!

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
And this one still your question but by error my name was mentioned Grrrr !!!

<Saint_Proverbius> <chrisbeddoes> will combat encounters be relatively small like in Fallout ONE, as opposed to the boring relentless hordes of foes we faced in NWN, which essentially cheapened the experience?
<Smoove_B> While I still have a soft spot for other PnP games like Paranoia and Champions, I don't think d20 is stifling creativity at all, more the opposite.
<TimCain> Nice unbiased question :)
<Smoove_B> One of the keys to makeing TB combat fun is to make every combat unique and interesting.
*** _Kern has joined #RPGCodex
<TimCain> Most combat encounters are small and interesting. However, if you run around a dungeon level and get everything worked up, you will have a large combat on your hands
<Smoove_B> No plowing through orc's 2000 to 2010 here.
<TimCain> Most combats will involve 1 or 2 big things or 4-6 lesser things.
<TimCain> ga

triCritical

Erudite
Alright!!!

Unfair you got credit for my terribly biased question.LOL

I actually got home from work kinda of early but I still missed the chat. Well I am glad they have made an effort to make combat tactical. I was kind of hoping they would have mentioned anything with regards to how LOS will make combat more interesting as well as if the environment (such as furniture would have an impact.

Oh well we got a lot out of them. :lol:

Spazmo

Erudite
Hey, I got there on time anyways. And what the hell is the idea of having a dev chat on a Thursday? This is weekend shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom