Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Just Another Kickstarter - Scribe

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Scribe

Feyd Rautha pointed me to the Scribe Kickstarter since I posted about the one yesterday. It looked fairly interesting, so I figured why not? The minimum amount to give in order to get the full game is $25, which seems reasonable. It's also an "All of Nothing" campaign, meaning that if they don't hit their goal, you get your money back. That goal is fairly lofty, though, at $54,183. Here's some of the information:

We chose a side scrolling platformer type of gameplay because we wanted to create an RPG where moving around the world is a gameplay by itself. We wanted to avoid a "walking simulator" as it is often the case in other RPGs where you just move from point A to point B. And if there is no combat in between the places, there is in essence no gameplay. With platforming, jumping puzzles and more, in Scribe, you always find yourself facing challenging environments.

Indeed, given that the art of this game is painstakingly crafted pixel art, our aim was to ensure that each location serves as a visual reward for players, while also enhancing the experience of traveling between them.

Oddly enough, these side scroller CRPGs used to be fairly common back in the late 1980s, especially on the MSX Computer. They all but vanished in the mid to late 1990s, it seems.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
We chose a side scrolling platformer type of gameplay because we wanted to create an RPG where moving around the world is a gameplay by itself. We wanted to avoid a "walking simulator" as it is often the case in other RPGs where you just move from point A to point B. And if there is no combat in between the places, there is in essence no gameplay. With platforming, jumping puzzles and more, in Scribe, you always find yourself facing challenging environments.
:shredder:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it a platformer, cRPG, point & click, etc.? An amalgam of all of those makes this look interesting, unique and the design work is nice. However... almost $900 for a boxed copy and maybe a 2026 release date?!!!! Yeah, not happening plus it already seems... :deadtroll: KS is not what it used to be and creators should not think of it as a bank anymore.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:deadtroll: KS is not what it used to be and creators should not think of it as a bank anymore.
Indeed, it is more of a marketing campaign that could pay itself if you are lucky nowadays.

The game looks pretty unique and interesting indeed.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not actually sure it's my kind of game, since it's pretty much all over the place and I ain't much of a platformer-gamer ever since I outgrew Commander Keen, but backed because it looks kinda unique. Don't look like the KS will make it, though.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I like those guys. A side scrolling RPG that's not Heroes of the Lance for NES is something I'd love to try./

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Looks quite unique and interesting, maybe not enough to back but enough to wishlist

Admittedly went :negative: at the platformer parts, because there is SO much of this type of look and gameplay already out there

ShaggyMoose

Savant
This looks really great. Unfortunately, AUD $42 is beyond my threshold for Kickstarter these days... I wish the developers best of luck though and hope to play the final product in the future.

I don't need my RPG NPCs to "thee" and "thou" me all over the place, but it does break immersion when I hail someone with "dude" in one of these games though (40 second mark)...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks cool, but I don't think it will meet the goal. 30 hours to go and not even half-funded yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom