Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community You're the BEST... Around!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Butters needs more votes in his Best CRPG List since he wants a larger sample size. There's still a week left on the voting, so now's the time! Here's those rules for the casting:

- Only PC games. Multi-platform titles like KotOR or Dark Souls are ok, but no 20-years-later ports like Chrono Trigger.
- Votes for expansion packs (MotB) are going to be counted as votes for the base game. If you vote for both, only the base game vote is going to count. If you vote for M&M 4 and 5 separately instead of saying World of Xeen, I'm going to slap you.
- The exception to the above rule is total conversions like Enderal or Archolos. These are functionally entirely new games, and will be treated as such.
- You can submit fewer than 10 games for each list if you don't like that many RPGs (but why are you even here?).
- You can include a game on both lists, but any game that makes the cut for the Top RPGs list will be ignored on the Hidden Gems list.
- Your post will be ignored if you have more than 10 games in either list.
- No votes from alts or accounts created after this vote began.
- Voting will close on April 20th at 16:00 GMT. You can freely edit your vote until then.

So, go let your voice heard while you still can. Do it for Democracy. And statistics. Which is the worst field of math.

Thanks, Konjad for the reminder on this.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Gregz

Arcane
Reminder that Butters' list will be infinitely inferior to these two lists, because this forum is a shadow of its former self:

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11193
You didn't even mention the best list the Codex has done (considering it got worse with each iteration).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codex-peoples-awards-best-rpgs.81637/

You're right, that's a fine list.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Butter how are you handling remakes? Vogel's games always get screwed over in these polls because the votes get split two or three ways.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Butter how are you handling remakes? Vogel's games always get screwed over in these polls because the votes get split two or three ways.
I think it should be done case by case. I would defer to someone more knowledgeable on Vogel's games whether, for example, Geneforge 1 Mutagen is sufficiently different than Geneforge to justify being counted as a separate game. One person voted for Daggerfall and specified that he meant Daggerfall Unity; I consider those for our purposes to be the same game.

Ryzer

Arcane
This list is useless since we already know the answer (done multiple times, been there done that). What would be interesting is allowing other platforms like DS or others to see how results change and show unknown games that deserve to be recognized.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This list is useless since we already know the answer (done multiple times, been there done that). What would be interesting is allowing other platforms like DS or others to see how results change and show unknown games that deserve to be recognized.
If you already know the answer for hidden gems, could you share it? I'm looking forward to play games I missed.

By the way, what do you think other platforms would change on a PC RPG focused forum? Especially one that makes fun of consoletards all the time?

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The top RPGs shows how Codex really isn't incline, is just as normie as other sites, considering Planescape has gotten #1 for all votes other than 2013. So many <200 message accounts come out of the woodwork to give their shit takes.

Ryzer

Arcane
By the way, what do you think other platforms would change on a PC RPG focused forum? Especially one that makes fun of consoletards all the time?
Well for instance, I would have voted for the Castlevania games on DS and Symphony of the Knight, Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, also hidden gems like Radiant Historia, Shin Megami Tensei, Valkyria profile.
But with the restrictions it wouldn't be unique.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
You didn't even mention the best list the Codex has done (considering it got worse with each iteration).

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codex-peoples-awards-best-rpgs.81637/

You're right, that's a fine list.

Absolutely sickening for me. All the storyfag "games" at the top, the games that actually offer competent gameplay alongside a good story (e.g Deus Ex) below. And in the console list there's one of the most retarded "RPGs" (it's not remotely an RPG but whatever) at number 1: Chrono Trigger. This place needs an ethnic cleansing! I respect the PC storyfag RPGs 10x more than that shit.

:decline:

The top RPGs shows how Codex really isn't incline, is just as normie as other sites, considering Planescape has gotten #1 for all votes other than 2013. So many <200 message accounts come out of the woodwork to give their shit takes.

:obviously:

But the reality is most gamers don't understand the medium at all, just focus on story to feel smart. Hell people do the same shit with movies too, ignoring cinematography on the whole and just jerking off plot/writing, ignoring artistry, action choreography, music composition, foley effects, practical effects and CGI, editing, setting etc etc etc.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well for instance, I would have voted for the Castlevania games on DS and Symphony of the Knight, Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, also hidden gems like Radiant Historia, Shin Megami Tensei, Valkyria profile.
We counting HomeBrew? Because NetHackDS is pretty damned nice. It's kept up to date, too. Even supports tilesets, a colored menu, and a few other things.

If not...

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Orcs & Elves (which was made by idtech, oddly enough)
Infinite Space(A spacefaring RPG)
Etrian Odyssey
Dark Spire (Another blobber, with a pretty neat style)
Pokemon Black
Mazes of Fate (First person, single character dungeon crawl)
Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer (A rogue-lite)
SMT - Strange Journey
Fighting Fantasy - The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Another first person, single character RPG)

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, why don’t you create a thread dedicated to the non-PC RPGs?

PST actually dropped out of my top 10 this year. I'm not confident in that choice and still considering changing my vote. I did try and examine nostalgia bias, and compare games as they exist today, not necessarily what they were for their era. For example, I typically have Arx Fatalis in my top 10, but it got pushed out by Prey. They're extremely similar on a design principle basis (with some distinctions), but Prey gets the benefit of lessons learned.

I wager that the top 101 list is going to stay mostly the same, with the oldest games slowly cycling out for some new grand entries. The 1996-2005 era is going to be highly favored because of the general age of RPGCodex users. There were far fewer RPGs 20 years ago, so there is a higher shared experience resulting is less vote dilution. We see the same problem every year with best of [current year] votes. There are so many RPGs that people can barely play any of them. There will be 30+ titles and most people will have played 1-2. Couple that with backlog, both deliberate and otherwise, and older great games like PST will be highly favored for some time.

The oldest games will go first for the same reason. I suspect that many Goldbox, Ultimas, and Wizardry games are going to be put on notice to vacate. Possibly my beloved Betrayal at Krondor, too. Anything earlier than mid-1990s.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Can you define an RPG? I'm being serious. I looked up steam tags and DMC4 is included. I think that would be pushing the definition so what are we looking at?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you define an RPG? I'm being serious. I looked up steam tags and DMC4 is included. I think that would be pushing the definition so what are we looking at?
To get the answer to this question you must equip the ring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom