Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info KotOR due out this Fall

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Per <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/70.html">this press release</a>, the PC version of <A href="http://www.swkotor.com">Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</a> is due out <b>this Fall</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b><div align="center">LUCASARTS ANNOUNCES FALL 2003 RELEASE FOR PC VERSION OF CRITICALLY HAILED
<br>
STAR WARS®: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC(tm)</div></b>
<br>
<br>
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - May 2, 2003 - LucasArts today announced the PC version of its critically acclaimed role-playing game, <b>Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</b>, is expected to release this fall. A version for the Xbox(tm) video game system from Microsoft is expected to be available this July.
<br>
<br>
<b>Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</b> is highlighted by a entirely original storyline set some four thousand years prior to the events in <i>Star Wars: Episode I</i>. The ancient era is dominated by an epic struggle between the Jedi and the evil Sith. The game features customizable male or female heroes and evolving playable characters, as well as dynamic lightsaber combat. Players can choose to pursue divergent paths of good or evil as they journey through numerous locations both familiar and new throughout the Star Wars galaxy.
<br>
<br>
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will be published and distributed by LucasArts, and is being developed by BioWare Corp.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I love it when a game is <i>critically acclaimed</i> before it's even out.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I love it when a game is critically acclaimed before it's even out.

Its hard to see how it won't be - its Star Wars and Bioware - I don't think you can keep your job in the popular press and call Bioware on their failings. The only hiccup i can see in Bioware's plan to assimilate the world to its own brand of sterile automated gaming, is through the non-synchronous release of PC and X-Box titles. People are far more willing to support their PC/console predjudices than call a charlatan for what they are.

Psilon

Erudite
Not going to happen unless KOTOR melts users' processors or something equally drastic. There are just too many SW/BioWare fanboys.

Instead, look to Star Wars Galaxies to unseat KOTOR. It's a pay-by-the-month system from the makers of EverQuest set immediately after Episode IV. Throw in the average EQ nut's gaming habits, and it should leave little time for X-Boxing.

* Disclaimer: Never played anything more MMORPGish than a few DikuMUDs in high school. From all I've read (and seen about the pricing), I don't plan to change this situation.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
Its hard to see how it won't be - its Star Wars and Bioware - I don't think you can keep your job in the popular press and call Bioware on their failings. The only hiccup i can see in Bioware's plan to assimilate the world to its own brand of sterile automated gaming, is through the non-synchronous release of PC and X-Box titles. People are far more willing to support their PC/console predjudices than call a charlatan for what they are.

Most Star Wars games have been really awful, though. A lot of them are just made to quickly cash in on a new movie release, for example, and are as swallow as it gets.

I'm honestly amazed NWN didn't get many bad reviews considering how awful the campaign was, which most people reviewed. The only two negative reviews I've seen were the one at Evil Avatar and the one I wrote.

Rosh

Erudite
<blockquote><b>LUCASFARTS ANNOUNCES FALL 2003 RELEASE FOR PC VERSION OF OVERLY HYPED
STAR WHORES®: DAYS OF THE OLD REHASHED BULLSHIT DEVELOPMENT AND SHITTY AI/PATHFINDING PEOPLE HAVE GROWN TO LOATHE FROM BIOHYPE(tm)</b></blockquote>

Psilon

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Most Star Wars games have been really awful, though. A lot of them are just made to quickly cash in on a new movie release, for example, and are as swallow as it gets.
If you mean shallow, I agree. So far, all the prequel Star Wars games have seemed pretty weak. The X-Wing and Dark Forces series are the only really good ones, though Rogue Squadron I & II are enjoyable in small quantities.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Psilon said:
Not going to happen unless KOTOR melts users' processors or something equally drastic. There are just too many SW/BioWare fanboys.

I'm betting a vast majority of SW fanboys are gonna get the Xbox version and skip the PC version tho.

Spazmo

Erudite
Yes, but BioWare's loyal PC fanbase (much of whom are also probably Star Wars fans to varying degrees) will certainly pick up the PC version.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spazmo said:
I have dreams about how great TIE Fighter was.
Yeah, TIE Fighter was great, after reading this thread I went through my box with really old stuff including Civ 1 on 5" floppies, but could not find TF. Well, I'm sure one of the abandonware sites has it though, so .... the Empire shall strike back again ! :D

Psilon

Erudite
If all you have is the DOS version, consider spending $5 for the Windows version. It's well worth it to be rid of sound card configuration.

Anyone else remember the changing end of Defender of the Empire? The floppy version's final briefing exhorts you to "DESTROY EVERYTHING! KILL! KILL! KILL!." When they made the talkie CD versions (both DOS and the later Windows), they changed it to "For the greater glory of the Empire... DESTROY EVERYTHING!" Awwww...

They really shouldn't have neutered the Missile Boat in X-Wing Alliance. I miss the SLAM system and its ability to outrun advanced concussion missiles.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thanks for the advice, Psilon, I will get the updated version then and save me the sound card trouble. Besides, you've got me all excited with "For the greater glory of the Empire... DESTROY EVERYTHING" :D. You know, ever since I've seen the first SW movie I always liked the Empire side more, and never cared much for the rebel scum. :twisted:

Spazmo

Erudite
What's cool about TIE Fighter is that it shows the better side of the Empire, how most of the Empire's time is spend quelling unrest and preserving order. Sure, the Emperor is evil, but that's no excuse for rebel scum to kill innocents! I was disappointed by a lack of contact with the Rebels. You spend all your time fighting treacherous Imperials, although wasting Zaarin did feel good. X-Wing Alliance is another triumph.

Psilon

Erudite
Actually, you don't start racking up the traitor kills until Battle V. (Who can forget its infamous T/I-versus-the-world mission?) Even then you still get some healthy TIE-on-Rebel action when Harkov defects.

Defender of the Empire, on the other hand, now that one's almost entirely your TIE Defender going up against every ship in the Imperial catalog, with plenty of pirates on hand to supply reinforcements. The CD-only Enemies of the Empire pack I don't remember as well, but I do recall that the Missile Boat and TIE Defender were largely absent. Though they were great to fly, they were so ludicrously overpowered that the designers essentially had to throw six capital ships and fifty-to-one odds at you to make it a somewhat fair fight.

XWA was cool, certainly, but I liked shooting X-Wings more. The great things about XWA and XvT were the multiplayer team missions. I used to drive my friends crazy with the ion cannons on the Assault Gunboat. As soon as their shields went down, I'd disable a ton of systems and leave them dead in space while I went off to harass another fighter threatening my objective. 20-30 seconds later, as they're finally regaining maneuverability, they hear the "incoming missile" alert... In an actual melee, however, I always went for the T/A and T/I. Without bots and capital ships providing a distraction, gunboats tend to get mobbed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom