Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shivering Isles - same old Oblivion, now with teh funnies!!!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

News of another <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_overview.htm>Oblivion</a> expansion have <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=611255>surfaced</a> at <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com/>Bethesda</a>'s forums. Titled <b>Shivering Isles</b>, the expansion is previewed on the February 2007 issue of PC Gamer US.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Rather than expand into another province of Tamriel, Bethesda dipped into the lore and decided to transport players to the 'Shivering Isles' known also as 'The realm of Madness', the daedric realm ruled by the prince Sheogorath. (Just on a side note, if anyone has the played the Sheogorath Shrine Quests, they should set the tone for the expansion - twisted and at times sadistic humor).
<br>
<br>
The god Juggalef is preparing his 'once-in-an-eon' Greymarch - a cleansing of the land and everyone within, including, by extension, Sheogorath himself. With this premise you are allowed entry to the shivering isles, a place where everything is a bit off - including the plants, landscapes, creatures and NPCs.
<br>
<br>
The strangeness of the Shivering isles creates a lot of humor - "Not only are a lot of the NPCs downright hilarious, thanks to the insanity that permeates the land, but the humor also lends something of a clasic LucasArts adventure game bent to the Quests you'll embark upon. You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game".</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Is there a chance to ask NPCs where I can find laughter?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

What the fuck is a Juggalef? I've heard of Jyggalag - the "placeholder god", to quote one of the developers - but I'd hoped he'd be more interesting than another GROOOAOARGH! EBIL!
Well, this IS Oblibimans.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Is Oblivion supposed to be epic or "Fear and Loathing in Monkey Island"? Fucking retards, if they want to be like old LucasArts, make an adventure (not in their crappy Elder Scrolls setting)!

psycojester

Arbiter
Urrrgh its bad enough when genuinely funny people try to be funny. The hacks at Bethesda going for 10 hours of Zany Wacky craziness is just going to be painful.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Hello. How may I help you?

• Cyrodil LAWL
  • Fargoth omg
  • Mudcrab ROFL
  • Uriel Septim jokez
  • I have no idea where I am but Todd forced me to type these god awful attempts at humor if you can read this send help [WARNING: YOUR GAME WILL BE OVER IF YOU CHOOSE THIS OPTION: (A)BORT (which may be too late for your parents at this point), (Q)UIT (and make sure you snort enough carbon monoxide) or (R)ETRY (which you will anyway just to take 2109 pictures of some hot, furry Khajjit ass).
[/list]

Can't wait for the humar!

Fresh

Erudite
Great comments:
"I dont no about eveyone else but im pumped. That sounds freakin tight"

"Ever since getting Wabbajack in Daggerfall I wished for this to happen, and now it comes true, my ultimate Elder Scrolls dream! Adventure in the insanity-ridden realms of Sheogorath! Splendid!"

DarkUnderlord said:
ROFL Isles?

Haha! Perfect for the photoshopped expansion cover.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Great comments:
"I dont no about eveyone else but im pumped. That sounds freakin tight"

Bethesda's job of making demographic profiles of their customers shouldn't be too hard, considering most refer to videogames in the same way one would refer to vaginas.

Kraszu

Prophet
First funny dialog from expansion, two gay npc talking:
-I saw some BOOBS the other day
-They are horrible. I avoid them whenever I can.

elander_

Arbiter
" "Ever since getting Wabbajack in Daggerfall I wished for this to happen, and now it comes true, my ultimate Elder Scrolls dream! Adventure in the insanity-ridden realms of Sheogorath! Splendid!" "

Now everyone claims they have played Daggerfall and are loving Oblivion and everything related. They would claim they have played with their mommas if it was worth anything to sell their crap.

concerned

Novice
predictions of unpredictability:
upsidedown rooms
people making animal noises
something involving bananas

crazy randomness only works if its ACTUALLY random and out of the blue, as soon as you install youll know exactly whats coming.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game
After 100 hours with Oblivion, you'd laugh at pretty much anything. Your dying grandma, your index finger, drying paint. That's just what happens when you go insane.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That won't even turn our resident scalies [like furries, but with scales] on. Anyway, good job, Hyper.

Gwendo

Augur
12bl1.jpg

Durwyn

Prophet
Shittering Isles ?? Good that they gave oblivion expanison title that can be easly tuned to fit SHIT in it !! Is it already immershun??

Limorkil

Liturgist
I thought this was a joke at first.

Easy to see what happened here: while messing around trying to get "Radiant AI" to work in the Havoc engine, Bethesda found that NPCs could be made to do stupid shit. Rather that have all that time wasted, they just put it all in an expansion.

There is a player mod called "Actors in Charge" that is one of the most popular download mods. You can cast a spell that forces NPCs to adopt an animation that you choose, such as swimming in the air, feigning death, walking like a zombie. It is highly entertaining, as my 3 year old daughter will confirm.

My guess is that based on the success of this mod, and other "stupid" mods, Bethesda decided it was time to cash in. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and parody is the cheapest form of game design.

Bradylama

Arcane
It should be the Pirates of the Caribbean box art, because that would be totally crazy! Just like their game!

IS THIS SHIVERING ILSES!? ROFLMAO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom