Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shivering Isles - same old Oblivion, now with teh funnies!!!

Texas Red

Whiner
Right now it *is* funny when they say that you can "decide the fate of the adventurers" even though it has been already decided that they should die.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Walkin' Dude said:
Right now it *is* funny when they say that you can "decide the fate of the adventurers" even though it has been already decided that they should die.

Oh, that's more decision than anything else in Oblivion...
At least that's somewhat unlinear, even though it isn't, if you know what I mean.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Granted I don't understand German, I'm failing to see how that performance is 'insane wierd humour'. The only guy with any style in that clip was the guy pretending to eat the sandwich. Maybe if someone were to be so nice as to tell what they were singing... Anyone?

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Kaese is cheese. Brot is a sandwhich. Gut means good. It's not just you, the video isn't funny. However, this is a pretty good article on why English humor is different from German humor.

Nael

Arcane
If I had to guess... Something about chicken sandwiches? :?

EDIT: Nevermind

Shoelip

Arbiter
I heard somewhere that the direct translation of the german word for nipple is chest wart. Is that funny?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
I love insane weird humor, that's why I'm looking forward to that expansion.
Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2B0YOsqEU to see what my homor is like, and then understand why I'm looking forward to it. Splendid.
You are a disgrace.

Transfiguring Roar said:
Granted I don't understand German, I'm failing to see how that performance is 'insane wierd humour'. The only guy with any style in that clip was the guy pretending to eat the sandwich.
Do you deny it was insane and weird? And what does "style" have to do with humour?

Kaese is cheese. Brot is a sandwhich. Gut means good. It's not just you, the video isn't funny. However, this is a pretty good article on why English humor is different from German humor.

Cheers. Armed with those three words I might watch it again!

Do you deny it was insane and weird? And what does "style" have to do with humour?

Perhaps it is merely how I perceive, but it came across more as absurd, frivolous, and silly. And style matters in performance. And this is a 'comic' act/performance... I got the impression the song was about that guy eating the sandwich.

[Edit]

Read that article on German humour. That was actually quite enlightening. And there was a Fruedian slip in there too! ""pull back and reveal" Haha.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
German humour is mostly about bashing others and schadenfreude. Political cabaret is very big here, as is satire and sarcasm. It must seem incredibly dry to a non-German, mostly because political cabaret requires a profound knowledge of the current politics.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
However, this is a pretty good article on why English humor is different from German humor.
That article was a little dumb. He basically just pointed out that German sentence structure prevents them from what I call, since I don't know the proper term, "stupid humor." I don't recall ever finding the whole "draw back," as the article calls it, very witty in the first place. At least, since jr high.
The only time it's funny is when it's deliberately without wit and done for the purposes of aggravation.

I know its stand-up, and therefore un-German, but I like Bill Hicks (I've seen a couple of his shows), who is very satirical, political, and, above all, confronting.

Is German humour anything like that?

Bradylama

Arcane
I dunno. How many Germans die from cancer after their routine is stolen by some hack who plays a jerk-off fireman in a jerk-off show?

don_tomaso

Liturgist
that video made me cry.. but if oblivion was anything like that I´d love it

Nael

Arcane
Transfiguring Roar said:
I know its stand-up, and therefore un-German, but I like Bill Hicks (I've seen a couple of his shows), who is very satirical, political, and, above all, confronting.

Is German humour anything like that?

Like you say Bill Hicks was a stand-up comedian and therefore certainly wasn't "German style humour" but his content was. German comedy is more situational and not so conversational or spontaneous as most stand-up routines (Bill Hicks included). Like Jasede said earlier, most German humour requires a detailed knowledge of the subject matter that is being discussed for the humour to be found. Some of Bill Hicks' routines were close to this vein though, so what you said could apply in some small way.

I see! Cheers for that, Nael.

My background is Croatian, and I've been over there in recent years, and found their way of communicating humour (more specifically, actual jokes) strange. I figured it was just I wasn't used to the language, but one of my cousins sure could tell some funny stories. Had me in stitches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom