Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda announces Shivering Isles

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Bethesda has <a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070118/lath036.html?.v=86>officially</a> announced <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15230>Shivering Isles</a>, an Oblivion expansion, that Pete Hines, the Father of Lies, claimed was not in development a few months ago.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, today confirmed the upcoming release of The Elder Scrolls IV®: Shivering Isles(TM), the official expansion for the award-winning The Elder Scrolls IV®: Oblivion(TM). Shivering Isles will be released for Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows this Spring. Details are presented in the exclusive cover story for Official Xbox Magazine's (US) February issue, which hits newsstands this week.
<br>

<br>
Shivering Isles features more than 30 hours of new gameplay and allows you to explore an entirely new plane of Oblivion -- the realm of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness. Shivering Isles adds to the existing world of Oblivion so you can continue playing with your existing save game/character, or create an all new character just to explore the new content.
<br>
<br>
"We're thrilled with the response that Oblivion has received to date and feel that Shivering Isles will offer a whole new and different experience to anyone who played and enjoyed Oblivion," said Todd Howard, executive producer for The Elder Scrolls.
<br>
<br>
Within the Realm of Sheogorath, players can explore the two extreme sides of the god's madness -- the sublimely creative and the completely psychotic. Something is happening to the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath himself looks to you to be his champion and defend his realm and its inhabitants from destruction. Do you have the strength to survive his trials, tame a realm fraught with paranoia and despair, and wear the mantle of a God?
<br>
<br>
The Shivering Isles features a bizarre landscape split between the two sides -- Mania and Dementia -- filled with vast, twisting dungeons mirroring the roots of the trees they are buried within. You'll encounter more than a dozen new creatures including hideous insects, Flesh Atronachs, skeletal Shambles, amphibious Grummites. Throughout your adventure, you will discover all new items, ingredients, spells, and more, and have the talented craftsmen of Crucible and Bliss forge new armor and weapons just for you.
<br>
<br>
"The enthusiastic response we've received to our downloadable content has been overwhelming, and we're excited to bring Oblivion fans a full expansion," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. "The world we've created for Shivering Isles is unlike anything you've seen or played in Oblivion and we can't wait for folks to play it."
<br>
<br>
Released in March 2006 for Xbox 360(TM) videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows, Oblivion sold more than three million units in 2006. Among the countless awards and accolades it has garnered to date are Game of the Year and RPG of the Year honors from numerous outlets, including Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards, G4's G-phoria, the Golden Joystick Awards, GameSpot.com, ShackNews.com, Voodoo Extreme, FiringSquad.com, and many more. Oblivion received the #1 ranking on PC Gamer's (UK) list of the top 100 games of all time and is the highest rated Xbox 360 game of all time according to Gamerankings.com</blockquote>Oblivion sold 3 mil? We're doomed.
<br>
<br>

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Dumbfuck said:
Within the Realm of Sheogorath, players can explore the two extreme sides of the god's madness -- the sublimely creative and the completely psychotic. Something is happening to the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath himself looks to you to be his champion and defend his realm and its inhabitants from destruction. Do you have the strength to survive his trials, tame a realm fraught with paranoia and despair, and wear the mantle of a God?

What the hell? So madness is a GOOD thing?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Vault Dweller said:
The Shivering Isles features a bizarre landscape split between the two sides -- Mania and Dementia --

Whoa, yea! What great names, man! What's next? Journey through the land of Obsessive Compulsive and Multiple-Personality Disorder? Can't wait!

Vault Dweller said:
and have the talented craftsmen of Crucible and Bliss forge new armor and weapons just for you.

Just for me? Aww, how thoughtful.

RAG

Educated
Ok Oblivion was as bland and generic as it could be. Nothing wrong with trying something different and bizzare. After all they can't make it worst..............can they?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I would actually look forward to this kind of expansion as it's premise is somewhat original and have potential to be non cliche story for a fairly generic fantasy land for a change.

BUT!

It's Bethesda. Their writing skills, imagination and sense of humour are awfull to non existant. Boring people trying to be funny are pathetic.

MacBone

Scholar
Oblivion received the #1 ranking on PC Gamer's (UK) list of the top 100 games of all time and is the highest rated Xbox 360 game of all time according to Gamerankings.com
#1 game of all time? Good lord.

Cthulhu said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Interests Normal sex, Anal sex, attractive women called Amy, Teamspeak, Redheads, Oral Sex, Bodybuilding, RPG's, Brutally murdering codexer faggots, human origami and Boobies.

Is that Todd Howard?

I like how he says "If you got a problem with me, tell me to my face, don't bitch about it behind my back like a pussy." and yet has never popped into the Codex to tell us what problem he has with us.
On a sidenote, anyone here been brutally murdered yet?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Oblivion received the #1 ranking on PC Gamer's (UK) list of the top 100 games of all time

Which is why I no longer subscribe - at least Oblivion served one useful purpose... before it came out I couldn't work out if the mag had slowly become crap or whether it was me who'd changed / got old.

3M units is pretty good I guess. Wonder how many G3 has sold so far, or maybe I don't want to know.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
On a sidenote, anyone here been brutally murdered yet?

I consider Chefe's departure to be highly suspicious. Even if he did marry a supermodel and travel the world playing classy Jazz clubs, that's no reason not to pop in and say hello anymore. I suspect foul play.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

I have seen a game trailer from this new expansion.
To me, actually, it looks pretty fun and interesting.

Half of the game world seemed to be little bit just too bright, while the other half seemed to be more sinister
and dark.

It is interesting to see how the expansion fares in regards to sales. The 3 million copies Oblivion sold, was probably based upon the backbone of Morrowind and Daggerfall.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The 3 million copies Oblivion sold, was probably based upon the backbone of Morrowind and Daggerfall."

Morrowwind maybe; Daggerfall no. Daggerfall si forgotten by all but the internet geeks likely found on sites like the Codex. Nobody worthwhile likely even remembers Daggerfall.

Oblivion sold well b/c of Morrowwin, because it was marketed rather well, AND it delivered what gamers wanted.

Game over, OBLIVION HATING LOSERS, game over.

Texas Red

Whiner
I always thought that Oblivion sold well because a) the "reviewers" are idiots and b) Pete(r) Hynes sent fat checks for ads that lead to the reviews written by the "reviewers".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. You are full of shit. Let's stick to facts not conspiracy theories. Thank you.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
No. You are full of shit. Let's stick to facts not conspiracy theories. Thank you.

Oh really? Then please explain to me how *all* of the reviewers of the major sites gave Oblivion at least 90%? Im sure I dont have to point out all of the flaws of the Game and broken promises, as you are well aware of them. Are you telling me that all of those reviewers, most of them who had played games for decades, consider Oblivion to be the game of the year, editor choise etc.?

Also, do you believe that Bethesda would place their adds to some site that reviewed Oblivion with a low score? So when you click on it, it shows you 5/10 or something similar? That would be not profitable. It would be beneficial for the gaming websites to start screaming that Oblivion is teh betterest gaem evah and hope that Pete would contact them and discuss placing a commercial slapped all over the screen.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Something is happening to the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath himself looks to you to be his champion and defend his realm and its inhabitants from destruction.

WOW, that´s original!! Youre teh chosen one!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
Oh really? Then please explain to me how *all* of the reviewers of the major sites gave Oblivion at least 90%?
The game was just THAT good! Duh!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Walkin' Dude said:
I always thought that Oblivion sold well because a) the "reviewers" are idiots and b) Pete(r) Hynes sent fat checks for ads that lead to the reviews written by the "reviewers".

You are, Sir, extremely stupid. As dumb as Oblivion might be, it's still an easily accessible action-"RPG". Do I have to remind you of the success of Diablo? Enjoyable action sells well. Diablo brought roguelike to the mainstream, Oblivion brought sandbox to it. It's not an RPG and it's a shitty game from my point of view, but it's still great at what it does: present an easily accessible experience for a large amount of people. If I was Bethesda, I would make /exactly/ the same game and rake in the cash. Bribes or not, people usually make games sell by word of mouth.

Ooooh, wait, you were using sarcasm. Ahaha. You're a witty one, eh?

And why should O. NOT get a score of at least 80% if reviewed as a game? I hear it's very fun, which is what a review should be based on. If you consider the bugs, the interface and the VA suckiness, it would still get 80% in every magazine I ever read, even without bribes. A magazine is not about pushing our rusty RPG agenda; it's about telling the masses what they would most likely enjoy playing. And judging by the sales it was quite an accurate judgment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom