Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda announces Shivering Isles

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, since I am a /true/ Codexer unlike you hatchlings, I never played O. (so as not to corrupt myself); I really wouldn't know.

Bradylama

Arcane
Well, at least their art department will have to use the left side of their brain this time. Oh wait, they "went back to Morrowind" for this one. :roll:

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Cthulhu said:
Dumbfuck said:
Within the Realm of Sheogorath, players can explore the two extreme sides of the god's madness -- the sublimely creative and the completely psychotic. Something is happening to the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath himself looks to you to be his champion and defend his realm and its inhabitants from destruction. Do you have the strength to survive his trials, tame a realm fraught with paranoia and despair, and wear the mantle of a God?

What the hell? So madness is a GOOD thing?

So sayeth Todd Leary.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Then please explain to me how *all* of the reviewers of the major sites gave Oblivion at least 90%?"

Here's an unconventional thought - the reviewers actually liked the game. OMG! NO wayz!!

Or, at least more likely than your crap theory of 'they were boughts' is that they felt pressure to rate it good. I doubt Bethesda felt the need to waste money on this.

You want proof? Look at all the cusotmers who also praised Oblivion to high heaven. Theyc ertainly weren't bought off by Oblivion.

It doens't matter if you liked the game. Perhaps they did.

Dumbass.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, you dumbass! Nobody took in to account the broken promises nor the boring gameplay or the dumbed down retardedness? If you would to ask anyone who has been playing games for more than 10 years, he will surely begin complaining about the days of yore. And rightly so, considering Morrowind and Dagerfall were both better. The only field where Oblivion wins is the combat. Now how the fuck can anyone sane enough state that Oblivion is the best RPG of all time and give it an editor's choise? Even somebody as you would not give Oblivion 95%, yes?

VD constantly pointed out the flaws in the reviews when comparing Oblivion and Gothic 3 scores. I think that those comparisons are clear evidence.

If they felt pressure then it doesnt make a difference. It is still an unfair review.

If you look at the reviews for films, then you will will certainly note the variety in scores. This is because the film critics do not have an effect on sales. With games you have a 95% chance of something getting scores over 9/10.

Lumpy

Arcane
TWD, you're a moron.
Just look at the fucking ESF. Most of them like Oblivion. Why? Maybe 0.01% of them like it because of what Gamespot said, and 10% like it because of the hype, but the rest like it because the fucking played it and enjoyed it.
And it's not only the ESF. In many other gaming boards, Oblivion is generally well liked, even by the hardcore RPG players, who claim their favourites to be PST and Arcanum.
If you think that all these people are idiots, then you're nothing but an arrogant fuck.

And, so that you know - people don't have to lie in order not to tell the truth. If reviewers give Oblivion high scores, and Gothic 3 low ones, there are two possible explanations. Either the flaws are more annoying in Gothic 3, and it is a worse game overall, or the reviewers were more prone to like Oblivion than they were to like G3. Either due to liking previous ES titles, disliking previous Gothics, or liking Oblivion so much that they couldn't accept any other game being better than it.

franc kaos

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
Volourn, you dumbass! Nobody took in to account the broken promises nor the boring gameplay or the dumbed down retardedness? If you would to ask anyone who has been playing games for more than 10 years, he will surely begin complaining about the days of yore. And rightly so, considering Morrowind and Dagerfall were both better. The only field where Oblivion wins is the combat. Now how the fuck can anyone sane enough state that Oblivion is the best RPG of all time and give it an editor's choise? Even somebody as you would not give Oblivion 95%, yes?
If you look at the reviews for films, then you will will certainly note the variety in scores. This is because the film critics do not have an effect on sales. With games you have a 95% chance of something getting scores over 9/10.

Daggerfall was better. Morrowind was a dumbed down shallow game with loads of skills cuts (climbing anyone?) and a tedious main story. Oblivion is a streamlined Morrowind.
1) Arena: Find and destroy Jagar Tharn to put the rightful king back on his throne.
2) Daggerfall: Grateful king gives you two missions, deliver a letter and rest the vengeful ghost.
3) MW: You are the chosen one who must destroy Gods.
4) Oblivion: You are the chosen one who must destroy demons (lets forget the PR guff about Daedra being like demons - the realm was a representation of Hell to quiet the powerful christian far right minority in American life*).

Daggerfall (IMHO) wins the fighting prize too, it's only been bested by the piss (sorry, Wii), with its controller moving to simulate sword strokes 15 years later (Oblivions block, hack, block, block, hack is about as visceral as making one of your sims go to the toilet.

I always check movie reviews before going to see a film (it saved me from Eragon).

* In my very own humble opinion which is meant in no way to upset the majority of decent christians and other God(s) fearing folk.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shiny new graphics? They're the same as in regular Oblivion. That video reminded me of Morrowind.

Texas Red

Whiner
Have you morons even read the reviews?

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/the ... m_clk=tabs

Read it through and tell me that every praising line isnt a lie. Tell me that you dont find *something* to be strange. Im not even going to quote anything to give example because the review is fully exagerated, from the first word til the end. Its not that the review was writing for the masses or whatever as how it was said above, he just fucking lies.

aries202

Erudite
I think your views of Oblivion and other RPGs (if you for argument's sake would be willing to consider Oblivion as an RPG for a moment) are clouded (if that's the correct word?) or influenced by what your definitions of rpgs are.

If you mainly focus on the story-telling aspects
of the rpg genre as well as the character interaction, dialoque choices, skills and stat based aspects of
the genre, then you may not find that Oblivion is an rpg.

If you, however, mainly focus on the open exploration, the ability to go anywhere you can,
whenever you want to do it as well as the ability
to join several factions and such things, then Oblivion is an rpg.

Personally, I would like both sides of the coin, if &
when it is possible. However, I'm realistic enough to know that this isn't always possible.

I like Bioware's storydriven (linear) games with their focus on character creation as well as Bethsoft's games with their focus on exploration and non-
linearity.

However, as I've stated before, I don't think that neither Morrowind nor Oblivion are the bestest rpg games evar. I have voiced my constructive criticisms of Oblivion both here and on the ESF boards.

I've once read a review of Oblivion in the Danish Edition of PC Player in which Oblivion got an 8/10
rating which I thought was a fair rating.

One of the big problems I have with Oblivion is
that there doesn't seem to be any people in its
cities, towns and villages. Another problem re: Oblivion for me is that Oblivion cities are way to polished and lacklustered, to my taste.They simply looks to nice to be true.

As for the new expansion; the shivering isles,
I agree that the world seem a bit more morrowishness, but I think that this has to do with the realm in which the story takes place.

Apparently the shivering isles expansion takes
place in another realm than ours which means
that the devs. can use their imagination a lot, creating colourful worlds as well as dangerous, dark and sinister places in this world.

Sentenza

Scholar
aries202 said:
If you, however, mainly focus on the open exploration, the ability to go anywhere you can,
whenever you want to do it as well as the ability
to join several factions and such things, then Oblivion is an rpg.
And if you focus on shooting everithing it moves then Doom3 is an RPG?

"Open exploration" was rewarding in MW (at least in the first playthrough) but is meaningless (scaled/items/enemies) and boring (same fucking landscape) in OB; as for the ability to go anywhere you can, it's nice you discovered sand box games, but seriously, if that's all you need go fucking play Notepad, or take some drugs and LARP in your head
I like Bioware's storydriven (linear) games with their focus on character creation as well as Bethsoft's games with their focus on exploration and non-linearity.
What "non-linearity"?
Apparently the shivering isles expansion takes
place in another realm than ours which means
that the devs. can use their imagination a lot
Raping some concept art from MW hardly count as using their imagination

Seboss

Liturgist
That's no problem because everybody (aka the masses) forgot about MW already.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Volourn said:
You want proof? Look at all the cusotmers who also praised Oblivion to high heaven. Theyc ertainly weren't bought off by Oblivion.
You just nailed TWD!
thumbs-up.gif

@TWD: Whether you like it or not, some people like Oblivion.

Sentenza

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
@TWD: Whether you like it or not, some people like Oblivion.
I have to agree, altough if those people deserve to live or not is highly subjective

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whether you like it or not, some people like dolphins a lot. Go figure.

Edit: It's worth noting that Vipera is also an Oblivion fan. Coincidence? I think not.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Read it through and tell me that every praising line isnt a lie. Tell me that you dont find *something* to be strange. Im not even going to quote anything to give example because the review is fully exagerated, from the first word til the end. Its not that the review was writing for the masses or whatever as how it was said above, he just fucking lies."

Just because someone has a DIFFERING opinion than you does not mean they are lying. Moron.

Quality of Oblivion's story, combat, graphics, and the rest of it is opinion NOT fact.

Idiot.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, you truly are naive and narrow-minded, arent you? Ok, it may be possible that those lies, that dont represent the actual game, are his opinion. Now, however, look at the list of awards and positive reviews for Oblivion:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/links/links_oblivawards.htm

Are you telling me that you dont find that suspicious? My point stands. The reviewers either morons or bribed. Perhaps not directly bribed, but Im sure that they know that that they wont get that add if they give a crappy score to it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
*yawn* No proof means youa re stupid.

Once again, just ebcause someone has a differ opinion than you doens't mean theya re bribed or stupid.

Idiot.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
*yawn* No proof means youa re stupid.

Once again, just ebcause someone has a differ opinion than you doens't mean theya re bribed or stupid.

Idiot.

No proof? 10 out of 10 of reviewers consider Oblivion the 8th Wonder! You will have a hard time finding a negative score on a well-known site. Do you not find it odd that the only place to get real crticism is on the forums? Why is it that till this day the ESF are overwhelmed with complaining? And yet nobody complains in the official reviews.

There is absolutely no variation in the scores. In case of movies only very rarely something old may get perfect marks. Newly released Hollywood arthouse films may be bashed on one side and praised by the other. There are critics who think that Eragon is total teenage cliche garbage written for liitle boys, but others say that the author is a genius and they enjoyed his book. And why is that? Because only in the gaming industry scores play an important role. Did you read that Gamespot review? If you have played Oblivion you would know that practically every line of it was a lie.

Again, scroll through some of VD's G3 Oblivion comparisons that you so enjoy whining about. It is clearly shown there how the same reviewer bashed Gothic 3 endlessly for the same feature he praised Oblivion for.

You may not totally believe that the reviewers are bribed, but you have to admit that something fishy is going on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom