Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Codex Mass Effect interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

Although <a href=http://masseffect.bioware.com/>Mass Effect</a> is a console game, the depth of its design had surprised us, which is why we'd like to <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=141>introduce the game</a> to our readers (special thanks to Casey Hudson):
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How would you compare Mass Effect to Knights of the Old Republic?</b>
<br>
<br>
It's a good question. In some ways Mass Effect is a lot like Knights of the Old Republic, so all KOTOR fans should be really excited. You have a starship, and you travel the galaxy, having all these really great moments. You have all these Mass Effect powers, which are a lot like Force Powers in the Star Wars universe. However, the main difference, which is where the game really shines, is the main character. I know the word "extreme" may seem overused a bit, but it's an extreme character who does some very extreme stuff unlike Revan who was a very blank character. </blockquote><a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=141>Click here</a> to read more.
<br>
<br>

Vault Dweller

Developer
If you pay attention you'll see that it's basically the same stuff Casey posts all over the net, so no need to jump to hasty conclusions.

Kraszu

Prophet
I can see reviews already "the most extreme rpg of the century".

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
100% heroic for no other reason than being purely good. It is kind of an artificial approach if you really think about it. What we're doing with Mass Effect is trying to make it about going to an extreme where you accomplish the objective by being brutal at all costs except the objective. Or maybe you take the other approach where you're just as brutal and just as extreme but you're finding a compromise and taking some other value into account? Basically, as long as you are brutal and extreme we don't care whether you are good or evil and neither should you.
:lol: WTF? Ok I guess Im a bit slow...this interview is a satire and the answers are completly made up by VD right?

Ladonna

Arcane
Ok, summary.

Your an 'Extreme' Commander, with an Elite Squad. The commander is premade so you don't have to make a character yourself.

The Galaxy is in turmoil.

The Enemy has no mercy.

You have to do lots of naughty things, and quickly, to stop the enemy.

You have Forcelike powers (Force choke, etc, but different...).

You feel special. Powerful even.

You are Brutal and extreme. Not Good or Evil, not that you should worry about that. After all, why would a good guy fight....I mean Brutal...oh nevermind!

You must find the Starmaps....Agents....Something spread around the galaxy.

No dialogue. As stated before, you are Extreme and its time to have FUN not Reed!!! If they ask for something and you are like 'Fuckin SHUTUP! I just want to see the next cutscene!' you can hit them with your BIG OBJECT instead of talking.

KTHXBYE

Edit: I thought it was made up at first too. Its so hilariously over the top with so many wasted words... :lol: Still, it has brought a smile to my lips. Volourn will give us an a rundown on it when he gets it anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tftc: Don't be ridiculous. We might be bitter cynics here at the Codex, but it's not yet so bad that we would have to make up interviews.

Vault Dweller

Developer
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
100% heroic for no other reason than being purely good. It is kind of an artificial approach if you really think about it. What we're doing with Mass Effect is trying to make it about going to an extreme where you accomplish the objective by being brutal at all costs except the objective. Or maybe you take the other approach where you're just as brutal and just as extreme but you're finding a compromise and taking some other value into account? Basically, as long as you are brutal and extreme we don't care whether you are good or evil and neither should you.
:lol: WTF? Ok I guess Im a bit slow...this interview is a satire and the answers are completly made up by VD right?
Read several previous interviews with Casey. Unless I made them all up, pretending to be Casey, it's the real deal.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
I know the word "extreme" may seem overused a bit, but it's an extreme character who does some very extreme stuff
Is he poking fun at us? :shock:

Stranger than fiction.

PS:

Whoa, okay. I just read the whole interview. :lol:

Seboss

Liturgist
So did they hire Chinese Jetpilot as designer eventually ? :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like this part:

"And reading a lot of the other stuff and tone of the interview it almost sounds like a different game than what BioWare have said in the past... BioWare said they were hopping to go for more of a Baldur's gate type game with freedom etc... but from reading this it sounds like you are going to be forced to play a gun ho Master chief/Jack Bauer type of character ... I really, really hope this is just one bad interview/me miss interpreting what was ment."

And all the other "Commander Bauer is a fucking psychopath" interview created a different impression?

suibhne

Erudite
I just snorted out my coffee.

EDIT: OMG, I need to finish reading this and go to a meeting, but I just can't stop laughing. :lol:

Dagon

Scholar
:lol: Good Read :lol:
This interview reminds me of SocraticMethod, but it's not working on this guy, because he is too stupid to realize that the whole thing is one big sarcasm.
I don't understand how that's possible that he is Project Director. I can imagine him being QA guy at some studio producing some FPS, but the head of the project? OMFG! ;)

BTW great work VD!

Morol

Novice
Project: Eternity
I am not sure why RPG Codex chose to post it, but we will be getting the legal people involved.
The Community Coordinator, Chris Priestly getting a bit extreme...

Amasius

Augur
Basically, as long as you are brutal and extreme we don't care whether you are good or evil and neither should you.
:lol:

Hilarious, eh... I mean extreme interview!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom