Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher pre-fun at IGN

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

<A href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/769/769171p1.html">New preview</a> of <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com">The Witcher</a> up at <A href="http://www.ign.com">IGN</a>. It's basically from the point of view of the three aspects of the game the developers told the author that should stand out. Then again, we all know how <a href="http://www.ign.com">IGN</a> tends to bork quotes from developers. Anyway, potions:
<br>
<blockquote>One example of the game's realistic approach to fantasy is the use of potions. Although Geralt can create these using herbs and ingredients, their use is double-edged, with potential benefits, such as night vision, or swiftness, balanced by the drawback that they also poison him - causing loss of consciousness or blindness for example.</blockquote>
<br>
So, it's kind of like abusing nyquil!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

dagorkan

Arbiter
What will the herbs be? Real life ones, fantasy stuff or a mix?

I've always thought one day someone should do a fully developed drug system for an RPG. Addictions, withdrawal, side effects and all that cool stuff. I won't expect it from F3 though.

Globbi

Augur
The other reservation is the amount of adult content in the game. Quite apart from issues of racism and terrorism and so on, CD Projekt will certainly have to give some thought to things like allowing the player to make out with members of the opposite sex simply by giving them some flowers (not to mention the erotic art cards that you can collect by doing so). NPC conversations about fornication (eg. "I f**ked a she-elf once."), and the tattoos of naked women sported by several NPCs will also have to go.

So the game will have adult content, but how is it a reservation? Nowdays a game not for kids is considered worse?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I guess Atari will tell them that a game which can't be sold at Wal-Mart is not a game they'll publish.

The_Pope

Scholar
Globbi said:
The other reservation is the amount of adult content in the game. Quite apart from issues of racism and terrorism and so on, CD Projekt will certainly have to give some thought to things like allowing the player to make out with members of the opposite sex simply by giving them some flowers (not to mention the erotic art cards that you can collect by doing so). NPC conversations about fornication (eg. "I f**ked a she-elf once."), and the tattoos of naked women sported by several NPCs will also have to go.

So the game will have adult content, but how is it a reservation? Nowdays a game not for kids is considered worse?

I'm guessing they say that because IGNs readers are too young to play naughty games.

Muze

Novice
Globbi wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing they say that because IGNs readers are too young to play naughty games.

Mostly because they don't want to scare away their advertisers. Assholes.

Texas Red

Whiner
I dont read any of the hype. Probably will turn out to be a shitty game anyway, like NWN 2 and G3.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
I hope there is a potion that allows night vision but as a side effect causes blindness. Also one that buffs your strength but as a side effect paralyzes you.

HardCode

Erudite
The_Pope said:
Globbi said:

Fuck all that [original IGN quote]. I hope CDProjekt tells the ESRB to fuck off, tells Walmart to fuck off, tells Atari to fuck off, tells that Jack guy to fuck off, and ends up selling 5 million copies because you can fuck female elf NPCs. Regardless if it is a good RPG or a piss poor action game, if they refuse to cut adult content, I'll support them.

Most suveys show the average gamer is around 30 years old. So design games for 30 year olds. Leave Oblivion to 10 year old ADHD Johnny.

Texas Red

Whiner
Atari will probably distribute the game with cut "adult" content in the USA during the merry season of Christmas.

Durwyn

Prophet
I think that cdprojekt will fight hard to not cut any adult content cos it's a integral part of The witchers world. They can cut something for US and other EU realeases but they will stay uncut for poland for sure. Polish Witcher fanbase wouldn't forgive them this.

Oarfish

Prophet
Durwyn said:
They can cut something for US and other EU realeases but they will stay uncut for poland for sure.

I don't think there's much danger of a cut in the rest of the EU, it's only the US that throws a wobbler at digitised nipples. Hopefully that won't affect the english language version.

Oarfish said:
Durwyn said:
They can cut something for US and other EU realeases but they will stay uncut for poland for sure.

I don't think there's much danger of a cut in the rest of the EU, it's only the US that throws a wobbler at digitised nipples. Hopefully, that won't affect the english language version.

I'm not sure... aren't Germany pretty harsh, as well? I'm in the UK, and it'll probably scrape by here as long as it's not a big-name release. Which it's not. So you could all just import from here if the worst comes to the worst.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Admiral jimbob said:
I'm not sure... aren't Germany pretty harsh, as well? I'm in the UK, and it'll probably scrape by here as long as it's not a big-name release. Which it's not. So you could all just import from here if the worst comes to the worst.
Germany supposedly has the most restrictive laws when it comes to violence in games and some politicians from Bavaria want it to become even more restrictive.
Which means that i'd have to import the witcher from somewhere less restrictive, download a blood/sex-patch or simply pirate the game... That is really a shame.

Elwro

Arcane
Hm, I thought Germany had "Sex - Yes, Blood - No" laws when it came to games. But I guess it was long ago, when the Wet games were coming out and Mortal Kombat was banned iirc.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Elwro said:
Hm, I thought Germany had "Sex - Yes, Blood - No" laws when it came to games. But I guess it was long ago, when the Wet games were coming out and Mortal Kombat was banned iirc.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

GameStar 3/07 wrote on p. 47

Wil the german version be cut? Probably yes. Head of Production Maciej Miasik explains: "The german version will be less gory and we will cut some extraordinary brutal Finishing Moves." Side note: The U.S. version could be cut, too - CD project won't expect the prudish Americans to endure the sex scenes.

So: German = No blood, less Finishing Moves

US = No nuditiy and sex.

Durwyn

Prophet
Hehe, good that we in poland have high endurance on gore and pr0n... but this is hillarious.

Just like: OMG Tititesss....(*faint*)

This is a game for adults. If any of USA/German adult gamer can't handle some blood or sex content i have worries about future of their countries.

Elwro

Arcane
I think the idea is to sell this game in USA etc as if it was entirely appropriate for young children to play it. More $ that way.

Durwyn

Prophet
I don't really give a fuck about that unless they cut something from polish release, but i don't even take this as a possible option. What would be the purpose of making game full of violence and sex, when in the end you must throw away half of this...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Durwyn said:
This is a game for adults. If any of USA/German adult gamer can't handle some blood or sex content i have worries about future of their countries.
It is not about adults not being able to handle it. It is about minors getting their grubby hands on stuff they shouldn't be touching yet. The media making an elephant out of a fly and stupid polititians jumping the train. Thus implementing laws that mean a lot of handholding. Although i also worry about the future of these countries (but for different reasons ;) ).
Not that you cannot find anything to worry about in an adult populace that only wants to spend their time playing games in which you dismember and disembowell children while raping their mothers ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom