Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jade Empire review

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Jade Empire

Our <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=146>dragon punch </a>to <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a>'s latest console port to grace the computer role-playing genre, <a href=http://jade.bioware.com>Jade Empire: Special Edition</a>, is finally up.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>It's nice that Bioware made something that people who don't enjoy RPGs could get into, but they don’t seem to have thought about the people who actually enjoy them. Jade Empire is pretty much Knights of the Old Republic - only shorter, with kung fu instead of lightsabers, a less obvious main villain, a setting that while not radically new feels fresh in the face of all the usual high fantasy drivel that pollutes the genre, and with considerable role-playing thrown in to the mix. This may be good news for those who enjoy Bioware games as it’s pretty much what you’d expect the game to be and in this regard, doesn’t disappoint. It’s a definite improvement on some of their design philosophies but don’t pop a vein, however; we’re still treading Bioware territory here.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
You might want to give it a shot. Or not. It does feature oriental lezzies, though.

Inziladun

Magister
The review is good and suprisingly long too. I just found the game for 20$ at the store the other day and thought i'd give it a whirl. So far it seems kind of sloppy(compared to Bio's other games), but it's enjoyable enough, I suppose. I also find it kind of funny how the game looks pretty much identical to KOTOR right down to the UI.

Oh and I figured i'd be a pain in the arse and point out a few spelling mistakes.

In 2003, they teamed up with LucasArts in 2003 for their first console role-playing game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

right under furry screenshots said:

under Hold it said:

under status ailments screens said:
increasingly bonuses

under body movin' said:
level desing

Annonchinil

Scholar
The only rpg mini-games I enjoyed were the bike fighting sequence in FFVII and the 'Feeding the Dragons' game in Chrono Cross.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished it fairly recently.

Unlike Role-Player I didn't find it that short. It took me around 30 hours to finish although that was doing every possible quest and listening to every dialog in full. I seem to remember KOTOR took me around the same time to finish the first time through. I think for that style of game its a pretty good length - I don't think the gameplay was there to sustain it for much more. Chapters 2 and 3 are by far the longest, each taking 10 hours + to finish, whereas the final three chapters (4-6) I managed to wrap up in only a few hours altogether.

My basic problem with the game is apart from a semi-decent storyline and fairly nice graphics/voice acting everything else is just plain awful. The combat is a dull and too easy, there is no inventory management to speak of, dialog options are limited to clear cut good and bad responses and the joinable NPCs are virtually all slight variations on other Bio NPCs from previous games yet serve no useful function in combat and seem to only be there to initiate romance dialog with the PC. Even some of the scenarios are earily similar to previous Bio games, such as the player infiltrating the Lotus Assassin lair which bears a remarkable resemblance to the Sith Academy in KOTOR.

Bascially the core gameplay involves wandering around chatting to NPCs. If that's what turns you on this is a great game, but if you want some of the "trappings" of a traditional CRPG (ie some form of tactical combat, gathering phat loot, a multi-chatacter party, a sense of exploration etc) then look elsewhere.

Kraszu

Prophet
DemonKing said:

Unlike Role-Player I didn't find it that short. It took me around 30 hours to finish although that was doing every possible quest and listening to every dialog in full.

This is MADNESS!!

DemonKing

Arcane
Kraszu said:
DemonKing said:

Unlike Role-Player I didn't find it that short. It took me around 30 hours to finish although that was doing every possible quest and listening to every dialog in full.

This is MADNESS!!

Well I lied - I did click through the "made up Asian language that sounds like Jabba the Hutt" bits and just read the subtitles, but otherwise I listened to everything.

What can I say - I like to immerse myself in my games.

Section8

Cipher
Kraszu said:
DemonKing said:

This is MADNESS!!

Ahem. I believe "MADDNESS" is the correct terminology.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good review.

I'll give a positive and negative comment:

Positive: I agree that not being able to run from combat, and the whole forced in combat thing is complete bullocks.

Negative: JE has as much dialogue per hour as any other BIO game. in fcat, I'm sure it has more. Also, it has far less worthless/meaningless combat as well.

Still, good job RP. Very rare for any article - even a Codex one - to be rea dby me without feeling the need to skim the 'boring part's.

:cool:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I found Knights had a bit more, if only because there are more areas and by association more NPCs who had something to say, though.

Still I'm glad people seem to be enjoying the review somewhat. Can't seem to fix the typos and whatnot, however; got to get my shit straight next time. :aiee:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oh, I agree, KOTOR likely ha smore dialogue overall; but let's because it's a longer game. That's why I said JE has more dialogue per hour. :)

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Just finished the game , and i agree with Role Player , the game is shorter then KOTOR (i dont have a habit of counting the hrs i spend playing but i doubt it even reaches 20 hrs) , but overall it was an enjoyable game.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Most characters in Jade Empire like hearing their voices heard and I have to wait to be able to say anything useful or interesting. It's very volourn.

ALSO, you guys need to like have new content flash on the site so that people notice. I didn't know their was a review because it gets sucked in by all the other news.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Is there a way to select different enemies during combat? I got it from steam and there is no online manual or anything, I also forgot if they mentioned it in the game.

omega3

Novice
This review was embarrasing. There's a difference between criticizing the shortcomings of a game and obsessively nitpicking even the tiniest, most trivial details you can find, and doing it in the most negative way possible. A good example is the way Tho Fan is scrutinized to the point of insanity, but I think this quote captures the essence of the review:
There’s an added difficulty mode, a sort of “New Game+” which lets players start a new game keeping all the styles and points put into them, techniques, and attribute values their character had when it finished the game, while resetting the character’s alignment and level to zero, and removing all essence gems. Unfortunately, this throws balance out of the door: you can finish the game with all the Open Palm styles then replay to gain the Closed Palm ones with no penalty whatsoever.
The game gives you the option to start a new game with all the styles and attributes you gained during your previous game, but even this optional bonus feature is seen as a bad thing because it imbalances the game, as if balance is supposed to be some kind of consideration in a New Game+. Resident Evil 4 has the same option, and at best you can play through the game with special weapons that have infinite ammo and ridiculous destructive power. Chrono Trigger lets you breeze through the game with high level characters using the best possible equipment. It's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be fun, and a bonus for people who've taken the time to play through the game.

I appreciate the depth of the review, but it's ruined by its unreasonably negative attitude.

edit: I also notice that the review doesn't seem to mention the game's soundtrack. Either it was overlooked or the reviewer couldn't find anything to complain about.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
omega3 said:
This review was embarrasing. There's a difference between criticizing the shortcomings of a game and obsessively nitpicking even the tiniest, most trivial details you can find, and doing it in the most negative way possible. A good example is the way Tho Fan is scrutinized to the point of insanity, but I think this quote captures the essence of the review:
There’s an added difficulty mode, a sort of “New Game+” which lets players start a new game keeping all the styles and points put into them, techniques, and attribute values their character had when it finished the game, while resetting the character’s alignment and level to zero, and removing all essence gems. Unfortunately, this throws balance out of the door: you can finish the game with all the Open Palm styles then replay to gain the Closed Palm ones with no penalty whatsoever.
The game gives you the option to start a new game with all the styles and attributes you gained during your previous game, but even this optional bonus feature is seen as a bad thing because it imbalances the game, as if balance is supposed to be some kind of consideration in a New Game+. Resident Evil 4 has the same option, and at best you can play through the game with special weapons that have infinite ammo and ridiculous destructive power. Chrono Trigger lets you breeze through the game with high level characters using the best possible equipment. It's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be fun, and a bonus for people who've taken the time to play through the game.

I appreciate the depth of the review, but it's ruined by its unreasonably negative attitude.

edit: I also notice that the review doesn't seem to mention the game's soundtrack. Either it was overlooked or the reviewer couldn't find anything to complain about.

Amasius said:
Welcome to the Codex. :lol:

Welcome to the codex.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
omega3 said:
The game gives you the option to start a new game with all the styles and attributes you gained during your previous game...
And why is this a good feature again?

Resident Evil 4 has the same option...
Unlike RE4, Jade Empire is a ridiculously easy game, which makes the above mentioned feature absolutely idiotic.

It's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be fun...
Great argument.

Fez

Erudite
I don't mind the idea of letting you blast through a game with all the extra powers and items if it is fun, but that if is what makes or breaks it. If it doesn't add anything new to the experience then it would be crappy.

Hitman Blood Money did it right. The equipment that I gather and customise with my funds can be used in previous missions, so I can try to complete the missions using previously unavailable methods or weapons. I can also use funds to buy intel on the mission that I couldn't afford before. In that case it adds to the playability and I've found myself playing out a level two or three times before moving on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
omega3 said:
The game gives you the option to start a new game with all the styles and attributes you gained during your previous game...

Resident Evil 4 has the same option...
Unlike RE4, Jade Empire is a ridiculously easy game, which makes the above mentioned feature absolutely idiotic.

It's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be fun...
Great argument.

Well, I don't see it as neither a good nor a bad feature. I mean, you only get it after finishing the game. Sure, it's an illogical feature, and stupid, but still, it can be seen as some kind of gimmick for the powergamers and those who want to get every possible ability with one single character.

It's a dumb feature, but it only affects your second play through the game, with the same character. Nothing exceptionally bad to be seen there.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why exactly did it take 2 years to port this? With KotOR 1/2 it was a matter of months.

omega3

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Why wouldn't it be? It's an additional, optional feature. If you think it's too easy to play that way, just don't do it.

Is having fun really that idiotic?

Great argument.
A completely sensible argument because, again, it's an optional feature that you gain after completing the game. It's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be fun, ergo balance is not an issue. If you don't like it, don't use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom