Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age update - zombie kittens are in!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

Let's see what David Gaider has been up to:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>On character advancement</b>:
<br>
What's the real difference between, say, a 1st level fighter, paladin or ranger in D&D? Very little. The paladin and ranger don't cast any spells yet. They have maybe one class ability if they're lucky. Otherwise they're armor-wearing warriors with a +1 bonus to hit -- and that's it.
<br>
<br>
A Warrior in DA would start off the same way. Then you start buying your talents and skills in the way you want him to grow. You move him into the advanced class that you want, which will give you access to all the variety of class types that you find so very not-limiting.
<br>
<br>
<b>On choices</b>:
<br>
Rather than offer a whole bunch of cosmetic choices, we offer a smaller number of choices but try to make them much deeper -- your choice of race and class affect much more than your appearance, they dictate your entire introduction into the game and the world.
<br>
<br>
I suppose there are some who will still be put out even so, lacking the option to play their favorite sort of gnome or ogre or what have you... and that really can't be helped. Every decision we make on what the Dragon Age world is means there is one more thing it isn't. We're fine with that. We're not trying to please everyone, we're trying to make one thing and make it well enough that perhaps some of these people come to love it for what it is rather than dislike it for what it isn't.
<br>
<br>
<b>On dragons</b>:
<br>
Dragons are cunning to the point of having deductive reasoning, arguably even sentience, without having the ability to communicate or possess a civilization. They are like dolphins -- that will eat you.
<br>
<br>
<b>Thoughts on different game systems</b>:
<br>
When looking at stuff like whether or not to use a spells/day or a mana system, one thing you really have to look at from a design perspective is what kind of behaviour you are encouraging... because, quite frankly, it may not be the behaviour you think you are encouraging.
<br>
<br>
Take a spells/day system, as in you have X spells to cast per day and need a full night's rest in order to regain those charges. What behaviour results? Well, in a D&D game, you potentially end up with parties camping out repeatedly inside a dungeon... if they're hard-pressed, you end up with a rather odd system where every 30 minutes or so of difficult encounters are alternated with a good 8 hours of rest.
<br>
<br>
Oh, there's certainly arguments that can be made about tactics and using one-shot items such as potions or scrolls... and that's valid, but really any system can be "worked" in some manner. The basic resulting behaviour is what I'm talking about here. And Gvoekle is quite correct: typically people tend to lean to the conservative no matter what system they're in.
<br>
<br>
Take, for instance, item deterioration in an MMORPG. On one level you get the intended resulting behaviour: players need to spend time fixing and/or replacing broken equipment. That creates a need, perhaps as a nod to the economy model. But what about other behaviours? In one MMO I played, the result of item deterioration was "naked battles". When groups planned on going into large fights or raids where they knew they would die repeatedly, they wore no armor and took along as poor equipment as possible. It was almost silly, really.
<br>
<br>
So you have to ask yourself as a designer: is this the behaviour I want to encourage? Does this behaviour fit in with the experience the game will have, as well as the other systems in place?
<br>
<br>
Mana systems also have their issues. Take regeneration of mana. If you have any mana regeneration over time, what happens? That's right... you end up with players having their characters waiting there on-screen in real time, doing nothing in order to regenerate their mana. Slow down the mana regeneration, and what happens? Typically, people wait longer and get more annoyed because they feel they have to do so. So take out regeneration... let's say you simply restore mana after every combat? Well, then you would probably end up with "spell binge" inside of combat-- where the goal is to use up the entire mana pool each and every single fight.
<br>
<br>
Could that work? Maybe, depending on whether the rest of the system is built to accomodate it. All I'm saying here is that no matter how you design the workings of the magic system what's important is not that you look at it from an aesthetic or theoretical standpoint but that you look at it from a behavorial one... as that's what we'll be doing.
<br>
<br>
<b>Some forum ass-kicking and face-stabbing. With extreme prejudice</b>:
<br>
And if you find that too frustrating, as I said above-- perhaps it's time to move on. Door's over there. I always find it interesting that some people immediately accuse everyone who dares to argue with them as fawning fanbois (or, in this case, as "licking" our butts ) as if demeaning everyone else here makes their viewpoints more mature and valid. Ad hominen, indeed.
<br>
<br>
Because otherwise? Zombie kitters. Rawwr. Serious stuff, man, and nobody needs that.
<br>
<br>
So once we're ready to talk about Dragon Age in detail, we'll do it both here and abroad. Until then? Feel free to speculate, as well as argue. Just don't be an *** about it. I, on the other hand, I may decide to be an *** if I wish, on immersion or any other topic. But that's because this is my house and YOU are the guest here. And because life's not fair.
<br>
<br>
And you can perceive whatever you like. It's when you feel the need to offer your perceptions as insults that we take exception. You don't like it when I roll my eyes at every mention of "immersion"? That's fine. You disagree with what others have said on linearity or what have you? Also fine. You don't like Chris Priestly? I suggest stabbing him in the face, but that may only work for me. Either way, there's nothing wrong with opinions. Just don't be an ***, like I said.
<br>
<br>
EDIT: stupid swear filter. *shakes fist at Chris*</blockquote>Keep up the good fight, Dave.
<br>
<br>

Baphomet

Scholar
We're not trying to please everyone, we're trying to make one thing and make it well enough that perhaps some of these people come to love it for what it is rather than dislike it for what it isn't.

Somewhere a marketing executive is having a heart attack.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's why I like Dave. Also, he's probably the only developer I know who would complain about the swear filter.

Section8

Cipher
It's scary. This is actually sounding somewhat promising. But then again, so did NWN2, and that wasn't even Bioware Senior calling the shots. I'll believe it when I see it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't think there was anything particularly promising about NWN2 (other than generic "this game will be awesome and true" stuff). I looked through the newsposts to refresh my memory and the only thing that people were excited about was the "you start as a commoner in a shitty village and need to build up your rep before people will talk to you" deal. Most people figured out that it's bullshit way before the game shipped as commoners rarely walk around with pieces of super special sword stuck in their asses.

Castanova

Prophet
I'll be pretty impressed if they devise a system immune to meta-gaming. That being said, meta-gaming is the result of a certain minimum level of difficulty which would be a good thing compared to recent Bioware yawn-fests.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vault Dweller said:
I don't think there was anything particularly promising about NWN2 (other than generic "this game will be awesome and true" stuff). I looked through the newsposts to refresh my memory and the only thing that people were excited about was the "you start as a commoner in a shitty village and need to build up your rep before people will talk to you" deal. Most people figured out that it's bullshit way before the game shipped as commoners rarely walk around with pieces of super special sword stuck in their asses.

People were excited about the moral choises as far as I remember, specifically the period in the game where you have to work for either The Watch or the thieves. In that regard Obsidian delivered. You can play any aligment you want. Some people just cant look past a few flaws and dismiss the whole game.

In regards to Dragon Age Im waiting forward to it. Gaider got my respect points. The 2 doctors are probably having a heart attack. Well, screw them and their Sonic RPG.

:salute:

aries202

Erudite
Dragon Age seems to be very promising good game so far. And Dve Gaider's comments on the development process of Dragom Age (DA) are very welcome indeed.

Note, though, how he almost never says anything in detail about the game, DA, but always speaks in broad terms and use examples :?:

Now if a certain other cpmpany on the East Coast of the US would be doing the same, we would be a lot happier :) I think. Or maybe not...

As for NWN2, I liked the idea that your start of a commoner and hve to prove that you can handle your own (fights and such). It breaks from the yet even more traidtion of you're a a hero because some ancient prohecey said, or the stars were aligned in a correct way some odd day, or the best one yet_'because it is written''. (maybe they should not have done so much writing, then, eh :?: )

I'm not exactly sure what meta-gaming is :?: but we know that our racial pick ( a dwarf, an elf, etc.)
may provide us (or give us) different setting in which we start the game. It also gives us different backstories for our characters, and DA will track these backstories along when we perform our actions in the DA universe.

As for the good Doctors having a heart attack, being doctors, they van just prescribe heart medications to each other as well as to the marketing executive. They'll get over it quickly, especially if the game come's out, and we all rush out to buy it (dependent, of course, if it is any good) making sure they'll turn a (quick) profit.

Also, oin the DS issue. Try to remember that Patrick Weekes over at the rpgwatch forums did say that the money for Mass Effect funded the DA development process. I'm guessing it is partly the same for the Sonic RPG...

spacemoose

Erudite
aries202 said:
you're a a hero because some ancient prohecey said, or the stars were aligned in a correct way some odd day, or the best one yet_'because it is written''.

squadilla! we're off

Saxon1974

Prophet
Quote = "Rather than offer a whole bunch of cosmetic choices, we offer a smaller number of choices but try to make them much deeper -- your choice of race and class affect much more than your appearance, they dictate your entire introduction into the game and the world."

Hmm, is this a good thing? Really hard to tell. Does this suggest a bit of linearity? Hard to tell. I hope their are enough choices to keep it interesting, and not 2 choices like join the good guys or bad and then the rest of pretty linear.

Game sounds promising from what I have heard so far though, but for some reason this comment makes me worry a little bit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In that regard Obsidian delivered."

Oh, plese. While the choice wa snice, it wans't that big of a deal. BIO games (and Troika, and BIS no to mention others) have been doing that for eons. The choice was actually rather shallow. It was no more than law vs chaos. Big deal.

And, VD is right. The beginning of NWN2 OC was as cliche as they come. You were as much the Chosen One tm as any other game.

As for DA, looks solid as usual. Still sad they're going with mana.

Bradylama

Arcane
Hmm, is this a good thing? Really hard to tell. Does this suggest a bit of linearity? Hard to tell. I hope their are enough choices to keep it interesting, and not 2 choices like join the good guys or bad and then the rest of pretty linear.

It roughly reminds me of the impact races had in Arcanum, which to me is being interpreted as a phenomenal thing.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

It was promising because it returned the point-and-click party-based RPG to the PC. That's what was sorely missing from the first NWN. I think that Dungeons and Dragons provides such an excellent framework for a PC RPG that it's sort of like pizza in that even a crummy one is still pretty good.

Deleted member 7219

Wait, you guys like David Gaider now? You lot used to hate him, at least, you always whined and moaned at him about everything under the sun when he came and posted here. Oh, how fickle is the Codex!

Human Shield

Augur
It is great to hear a developer actually talk about how game design effects behavior instead of assuming "you run around and kill things like in action games but now with better rendered Elf boobs".

Matt7895 said:
Wait, you guys like David Gaider now? You lot used to hate him, at least, you always whined and moaned at him about everything under the sun when he came and posted here. Oh, how fickle is the Codex!

I always liked him for his work on Shadows of Amn and for Ascension.

Plus...now Bethesda is the new B-developer to hate. Who's next? Maybe Blizzard?

Gosling

Liturgist
Baphomet said:
We're not trying to please everyone, we're trying to make one thing and make it well enough that perhaps some of these people come to love it for what it is rather than dislike it for what it isn't.

Vault Dweller said:
That's why I like Dave.

Funny how Bethesda got trashed for saying exactly the same thing about Fallout3. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Matt7895 said:
We've always liked him, just like we've always liked Gavin Carter.

galsiah

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
He does tend to make sense, and generally seems open to reasoned argument. If anything, this motivates the "whining and moaning". When someone displays 80% good sense, there's hope for the other 20 - so it makes sense to pursue it with rabid ferocity.

The info is heartening stuff. (though his opinions on handling death still fall squarely into the errant 20)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Gosling said:
Baphomet said:

Vault Dweller said:
That's why I like Dave.

Funny how Bethesda got trashed for saying exactly the same thing about Fallout3. :)
There is a small difference between making an original IP and fucking with an established series, don't you think? Besides, what Bethesda actually says is the opposite: we're trying to make a game that's all things to all people and that will be loved by everyone, hardcore elitists and casual noobs.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Smart man! I liked his point on spell/day vs mana! I'm curious what Bio will choose for Dragon Age.

As weird as it may sound to some, I DO believe Bioware can pull off something great with DA. Their games have always been at least enjoyable and easy to pick up and play (and some have even been brilliant: BG, KotOR). I just seems they've put a lot of thought into this one.

Gosling

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
There is a small difference between making an original IP and fucking with an established series, don't you think? Besides, what Bethesda actually says is the opposite: we're trying to make a game that's all things to all people and that will be loved by everyone, hardcore elitists and casual noobs.

I was referring to Hines' infamous:
We hope that when we show people what we're up to, they'll agree. Some folks will, and some folks will say it's not what they wanted. At the end of the day, we respect that, but we have to do what we think is right. Again, you can't make the game that everybody wants because you'll get ten different answers about what that game is.

And I agree with you by the way. I think I just wanted to point out how the same phrase can be perceived differently depending on the context. I'm very much looking to Dragon Age in fact and really hoping they don't fuck it up. I also wish Gaider could show here more often. Oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom