Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Emil Pagliarulo interview at Strategy Core

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.strategycore.co.uk>Strategy Core</a> has teamed up with <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>NMA</a> and asked Emil Pagliarulo <a href=http://www.strategycore.co.uk/e3/pg/07fallout3>a few questions</a>:
<br>
<br>
Edit: I missed this little PR gem:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>What it comes down to is that we're all Fallout fans. We love the original games. (But) not every Fallout fan wants a turn-based isometric game." Emil Pagliarulo, Lead Designer, Fallout 3.</blockquote>Of course not. Most Fallout fans want Fallout meets Halo.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>When you level you get skill points, and the number of skill points you get are based on your intelligence. So you can put those toward your skills and the primary tag skills get more points added when you level up.
<br>
<br>
<b>The same as the original game?</b>
<br>
Really similar to the original game.
<br>
<br>
There are a lot of weapons. I was surprised looking at our weapon list and seeing how many we had. There are the Fallout weapon skills: big guns, small guns, energy weapons, melee, unarmed which are all fully exploited, so we have weapons for them all. We also have a series of custom made weapons that you can construct if you find a schematic and the right junk in the wasteland. So yes, there are quite a few weapons.
<br>
<br>
<b>Can you add scopes or silencers to weapons?</b>
<br>
No, you can't. We don't allow you to modify existing guns to customize them. For example, you can't take a pistol you've been using and add a scope to it. It's more like finding an old motorcycle gas can and an old sword blade and creating an entirely new weapon.
<br>
<br>
When Todd and I first started prototyping VATS, we played other real time games like Call of Duty and Halo.
<br>
<br>
he amount of interaction through dialog is three times what we had in Oblivion. There's a really strong stealth component. There are a lot of paths through the quests and some are non-violent. That said, you can't wander off into the wasteland and expect to live.
<br>
<br>
<b>Is the Enclave in the game? The presentation mentioned their radio station.</b>
<br>
I don't know what you’re talking about. (laughter) We're not talking about that.
<br>
<br>
<b>Will there be aliens in the game?</b>
<br>
(makes a face) No. (laughter)
<br>
<br>
<b>Alien weaponry?</b>
<br>
(pause, another face) These are things I'm not supposed to talk about.
<br>
<br>
<b>So is the DC Brotherhood of Steel the same Brotherhood of Steel that was on the West Coast? Is it nationwide?</b>
<br>
You’re the only person that asked me that question. I'm surprised that no one else has. Let me just say that its come up a lot that "How did the Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel get on the East Coast?". We answer those questions in the game and there's a reason why they're there. They are somehow connected to the other Brotherhood of Steel but we cover those bases within the game. (Note: it appears that the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 is not the West Coast one but an offshoot that was mentioned in Fallout: Tactics. In that game, a blimp expedition from the West Coast was sent over the Rockies to follow the retreating Super Mutants. The lead blimp crashes near Chicago and the survivors set up their own version of the Brotherhood of Steel. It may be that BOS that is battling the Super Mutants in DC, or maybe another one created by the blimps that did not crash in Chicago but continued eastward. Just an educated guess...) </blockquote>It's disappointing that you can't upgrade your equipment in a meaningful way. A scope or a silencer would have been nice, especially in a first-person game.
<br>
<br>

So deathclaws, radscorpions, and the robots are back, alien guns are probably in, the Enclave is in, the Brotherhood of Steel is, super mutants, and yet none of it looks like Fallout.

Wonderful. Bethesda pulls an Icewind Dale 2 and tries to stuff every character from the past in no matter how stupid it seems. They had a chance to keep some stuff (like the old weaponry, items, and such) which would make sense yet they stuffr in most of the stuff that makes no sense. Brilliant.

And I love the Call of Duty and Halo part and the part near it about how they want to make real-time shooting easier. Quite indicative of their position.

fastpunk

Arbiter
It's strange how you can't put a damned scope on a weapon. I mean VATS is all about precision aiming and a scope would basically increase your chance of hitting your target... :roll:

Joe Krow

Erudite
Having 1/10th as many npcs as Oblivion with three times as much dialogue sounds promising. Of course that depends on what they have to say...

crakkie

Arcane
fastpunk said:
It's strange how you can't put a damned scope on a weapon. I mean VATS is all about precision aiming and a scope would basically increase your chance of hitting your target... :roll:
Right on, a scope would totally shrink your firing reticle.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>What it comes down to is that we're all Fallout fans. We love the original games. (But) not every Fallout fan wants a turn-based isometric game." Emil Pagliarulo, Lead Designer, Fallout 3.</blockquote>

This makes zero sense. We love the games, but don't want another...

I think they mistake liking the setting and atmosphere with actually liking the game.

Assholes. Do the right thing and call this BoS2 and spend some money on getting Cain, Boyarsky and Anderson back to do an independent 'real' sequel for the fans of the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller said:
Edit: I missed this little PR gem:

What it comes down to is that we're all Fallout fans. We love the original games. (But) not every Fallout fan wants a turn-based isometric game." Emil Pagliarulo, Lead Designer, Fallout 3.

Of course not. Most Fallout fans want Fallout meets Halo.

Ehrm.

Well actually, he is right. I'm a Fallout fan, too, and I don't insist on turn-based isometric. I'm neutral until I play ;)
At least when it comes to the combat system...

I think it depends on what you see as important for the Fallout series.

You can't say that someone is not a fan, just because he does not insist on TB+Iso.

Anyway... I'm still quite sure that most of the Fallout fans would prefer TB (with or without Iso), since that is how they got to know the games.
And I can't explain why they (Bethesda) think they are pleasing the Fallout fans with "their" combat system. They are pleasing themselves and most Oblivion-fans with that one.

elander_

Arbiter
They are more interested with what Halo players think than Fallout fans or even the original devs in this matter. Turning Fallout 3 into a first person shooter with dialogs is not preserving the spirit of Fallout, it's killing it.

cuthbert

Novice
So from what I can tell the story is this. Super mutants escape from F.O. tactics run across the country and are captured, cloned and experimented (resident evil style) on for the purpose of cleansing the outside world (because they are the one to inherit the new world or some such nonsense) by the pc's dad. He gets fed up and leaves (but no one enters and no one leaves). so they send you to go after him to kill him but in an ironic twist hes not the bad guy. So you along with your dad go find the facility that makes the super mutants and destroy it then attack vault 101 for an ironic ending (with who ever you've made friends with). Now if this is how the story ends up it's going to be pissed because i wasn't even trying.

AZ

Liturgist
Part of the fallout was that you cold kick a rat in the groin and similar. It had an "original" style, now we will get an "Oblivion whit guns". And they even acknowledge it.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I was going to make a joke involving Gears of War, but Gears has a cover system...

Actually, cuthbert, they don't consider FO:T canon, so they'll just try to throw bones to old FO1/2 players by having kitsch cameos and references. Yay!

cuthbert

Novice
Sovard said:
I was going to make a joke involving Gears of War, but Gears has a cover system...

Actually, cuthbert, they don't consider FO:T canon, so they'll just try to throw bones to old FO1/2 players by having kitsch cameos and references. Yay!
Oh, so the cameos should be of 120 year old+ characters (from fallout 1)? wow that would please the fans.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What it comes down to is that we're all Fallout fans. We love the original games. (But) not every Fallout fan wants a turn-based isometric game." Emil Pagliarulo, Lead Designer, Fallout 3

In other words, we love the original games, but hated everything that made them great. Therefore, we intend to "oblivionize it" as much as possible in order to please the retarded Halo fans. INGENIOUS...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also don't insist on TB combat and isometric viewpoint, even though I'd like them. I just don't want "Fallout for dummies".

Wursel

Novice
Emil Pagliarulo said:
There are the Fallout weapon skills: big guns, small guns, energy weapons, melee, unarmed which are all fully exploited, so we have weapons for them all.
Unarmed weapons are the best. :)

Helton

Arcane
cuthbert said:
Now if this is how the story ends up it's going to be pissed because i wasn't even trying.

I remember when Oblivion was coming out they hinted at the story. "You have to save this heir dude, and he'll use the amulet to 'close shut the jaws of Oblivion'". I thought "no, that's too simple, there's got to be some kind of twist" and I drew out a plot where Martin 'close shut the jaws of Oblivion'd, and then ended up being a tyrant -- he starts killing off the Blades and you help them kill Martin. The Blades serve the position of the Emperor, and if the current Emperor acts out of line, they take him out.

Then it turns out, nope, the entire story could actually be sumarized in that one sentence they handed us before release.

No twists, no unmentioned variables. The BOS is fighting mutants, your dad runs away, you save dad and he uses the amulet to 'close shut the jaws of Oblivion'.

Giant Dragon kills the Master.

The end.

Ninja kick the damn rabbit.

Wursel said:
Unarmed weapons are the best. :)

Yes, for some reason that always bugged me. "Martial Arts", perhaps.

Seboss

Liturgist
I like the (not so new but heck) idea of building my own weapons with schematics.
I think I can live without weapon modifications. In my experience, it tends to break the balance of the game more often than not.

I don't know about you guys, but Emil gives me some hope. Well, much more than Todd and Pete that is.

Bradylama

Arcane
Schematics are a great system, but when you can create new weapons from scratch, not being able to upgrade old weapons seems a bit... illogical.

Things like scopes and silencers don't have to imbalance the game if they're designed well.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Woetohice said:
Knowing Bethesda, it'll be some streamlined crafting system. You get 10 iron pieces from the gas can, 20 from the sword, you can now make a gun.
A gun? What's wrong with you, boy? You make a flaming sword and go fight some orcs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom