Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2010: Elder Scrolls Odyssey V

xuerebx

Erudite
They wouldn't do that as it wouldn't net them the same amount of profits :P

But, I wouldn't want a TES ISO/TB game, definitely not. The ES series should stay FPP/TPP and RT, like daggerfall and morrowind, and oblivion, though much more like the first two, where stats really matter.

DraQ

Arcane
xuerebx said:
Black marsh is quite an interesting place, I wouldn't mind it being there. But I can't stand Khaajits, so no Elsweyr please!
I like the Black Marsh more, but there are several areas where the Elsweyr has an edge over it game-wise:

-estabilished lore - I don't think beth is able to make up anew anything but absolute suck right now
-polymorphic society - might be interesting theme to explore
-more urbanized
-more balanced environment when it comes to different races
-strong imperial presence meaning more different factions
-doesn't raep hv. armor users
-doesn't raep everyone without disease resistance.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, personally I'd really like to see a game done on the border of Elswevyr and Valenwood, with a little from each of these provinces. It's been a while since I could be bothered to read any TES lore (since circa when Oblivion came out, and the CE book turned out to be just a set of excuses for why Cyrodiil was nothing like it should be, rather than an interesting guide) but I remember the book in Morrowind about the war between the Kahjiit and the Wood Elves, and that was pretty interesting. That conflict and the presence of High Elves with colonial interests in Valenwood, in addition to the stuff you mentioned could make for a interesting game. Todd & co would probably make a mess of it though...

xuerebx

Erudite
DraQ said:
xuerebx said:
Black marsh is quite an interesting place, I wouldn't mind it being there. But I can't stand Khaajits, so no Elsweyr please!
I like the Black Marsh more, but there are several areas where the Elsweyr has an edge over it game-wise:

-estabilished lore - I don't think beth is able to make up anew anything but absolute suck right now
-polymorphic society - might be interesting theme to explore
-more urbanized
-more balanced environment when it comes to different races
-strong imperial presence meaning more different factions
-doesn't raep hv. armor users
-doesn't raep everyone without disease resistance.

Good points there, especially the first one.
MaskedMan said:
Yeah, personally I'd really like to see a game done on the border of Elswevyr and Valenwood, with a little from each of these provinces. It's been a while since I could be bothered to read any TES lore (since circa when Oblivion came out, and the CE book turned out to be just a set of excuses for why Cyrodiil was nothing like it should be, rather than an interesting guide) but I remember the book in Morrowind about the war between the Kahjiit and the Wood Elves, and that was pretty interesting. That conflict and the presence of High Elves with colonial interests in Valenwood, in addition to the stuff you mentioned could make for a interesting game. Todd & co would probably make a mess of it though...

I have heard that there is a strong chance that the new setting will be in Skyrim. Some of the lore [in books] found in Oblivion suggests this. Well I was told all this by a big ES lore fan, who practically reads everything.

Texas Red

Whiner
Lestat said:
xuerebx said:
I have heard that there is a strong chance that the new setting will be in Skyrim. Some of the lore [in books] found in Oblivion suggests this.
Bethesda registering Skyrim as a trademark is what suggests this.

Not surprised that they went with humans again.

xuerebx

Erudite
That's what I fear DraQ. I'm adding 1 year after the release date with Beth's last two games, and possibly their next game too.

So Fallout will take 5 years in my books to be finished, in the extra year the game will be created by the players.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DraQ said:
Theoretically Skyrim has as much potential for an interesting TES as any other province. In practice it will be Solstheim/Jeralls 2.0 - dumbed down edition.

None of the southern provinces have been used. I'd like to see something there.

Also all you fuckers need to play Manhunt 2. On the Wii.

Zomg

Arbiter
You should hope that it's set in whatever part of the lore already looks like a generic fantasy setting, 'cause that's what it's gonna look like in the lore after the game is released.

DraQ

Arcane
Zomg said:
You should hope that it's set in whatever part of the lore already looks like a generic fantasy setting, 'cause that's what it's gonna look like in the lore after the game is released.
That would be High Rock. Of course, Daggerfall was already set there and it's quite a safe bet that TES V will autofail when compared with DF.

Data4

Arcane
I've been under the impression that TES V would be in the Summersett Isles. I can't remember where I heard it from, though...

Relien

Scholar
Data4 said:
I've been under the impression that TES V would be in the Summersett Isles. I can't remember where I heard it from, though...
I've read something like that as well, but I can't remember if it wasn't only a wish expressed in some poll on Beth forums.

-Garrett-

Novice
DraQ said:
They won't necessarily follow established lore. Back when Morrowind was released, the Pocket Guide entry for Cyrodiil said that "most of Cyrodiil is a river-based society surrounded by jungle". That would have allowed some memorable and creative locations (as well as the possibility of player-controlled boats as a fast-travel system of sorts); instead, Bethesda went for a pseudo-England setting just like every other fantasy game, and revised the Guide appropriately. They won't necessarily give future locations a reboot this major, but it doesn't bode well.

Relayer71

Liturgist
You guys saying the "Wii sucks" are idiots - and perfect examples of what YOU project as the Wii target audience: children (or at least, childish, infantile, simple-minded, etc.).

You fucking technology whores. I bet you all LOVED Obloomlivion.

The problem with the Wii is the majority of the games ARE targetted at a younger more casual audience but it does not mean the system sucks. While it would be nice if games with more mature themes were made for the system (Eternal Darkness could use a sequel) there is still fun to be had with some of those lighthearted titles, especially the multi-player ones.

Or are those sticks so far up your asses you forgot the meaning of fun?

Microsoft and Sony over-built their machines. Seriously, what is all that horsepower being used for? Groundbreaking, never-before-seen gameplay? Ultra-realistic A.I.? No. Just fancier graphics and effects. The games remain the same.

I'd like to shove a nice abrasive piece of steel wool into all your mouths and scrape that "Next-Gen" word/phrase out of your vocabularies. Come on, you know you won't play a game no matter how good it really is unless the word "Next-Gen" was in the previews.

Such a sad, sorry lot gamers have become of late.

Chefe

Erudite
Relayer71 said:
Microsoft and Sony over-built their machines. Seriously, what is all that horsepower being used for? Groundbreaking, never-before-seen gameplay? Ultra-realistic A.I.? No. Just fancier graphics and effects. The games remain the same.

The funniest thing is the PC surpassed both consoles only a few months after their release in both of those departments. There was a site somewhere that had graphical comparisons of Fallout 3 between the PC and two consoles. The difference was almost night and day. Not to mention that the limited space makes load times longer, draw distances shorter, and effects choppier on the console.

Ironic, huh?

Lingwe

Liturgist
Get Michael Kirkbride to write the dialogue for lore cohesion
MK is writing the lore for TES V, although not the dialogue. Although since they won't have to be 'witty' with the dialogue they can just write their sentences properly.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Who is Michael Kirkbride and what astonishing thing has he done to impress the Codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom