Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2010: Elder Scrolls Odyssey V

MetalCraze

Arcane
He is the least shitty writer at Bethesda right now.

Data4

Arcane
He's not at Bethesda any more. Actually, he never was. He's a freelancer who wrote most of Morrowind's lore. He's expanded greatly on it in the TES Lore forum, but it's taken a life all its own. It'll probably never be recognized as TES canon, but it's far more interesting than what is canon.

EDIT: Doh! I didn't know he was doing TES:V. This is a good thing.

EDIT2: Dicksmoker, This is vintage Kirkbride. Compare with most of the books in Oblivion, and... well, they don't compare. Where Morrowind lacked in gameplay, it excelled in lore, and that's thanks in large part to Kirkbride.

kris

Arcane
Chefe said:
DraQ said:
Lingwe said:
MK is writing the lore for TES V
Seriously? There might be hope for TES V, after all.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Hope lies in that they learnt from the progress made with Fallout3 and expand on that. Of course, hire writers that actually talked with other humans would also help.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Some references for my earlier post.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry11611364

And, yeah, I'm fine. Writing up notes (on godhood) for the next game. You?

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry11621265

Really? Got a contract from Beth yet? Without a contract or a check or something, it can't be guaranteed that your material will be used. The life of a freelancer is hard, isn't it?

I can't answer any of this except the the first part, which is "Yes", and the last part, which is "Yes."

There is also this funny thread where the moderator locks his thread after the first post. Even one of the greatest contributors to the Elderscrolls Series is not immune to the Bethstapo!

Chefe

Erudite
We need to get that fool over here. If only the Bethstapo lifted their ban on the Codex.

I guess it's official, then. TESV will be a dream come true for those of us who are literate.

tunguska

Liturgist
Zenimax (aka Bethesda) is in the biz to make money. The CEO is purely a money guy with no interest in gaming. How could any of you be so naive as to believe or even hope that their next so called game will be an improvement. They will continue to pander to the LCD because that is what makes mega dollars. Altman is going to be putting gas in his helipad equipped mega-yacht while the Codex argues about how badly his new $ame sucks. It will suck because it will have been specifically designed to appeal most strongly to the less intelligent of the console chimp crowd who are too stupid to even figure out how to burn a DVD let alone download an image from TPB or chip their consoles. Anyone with an IQ above 70 who buys the game is just a bonus. It is not their target market. The ultimate goal of Zenimax is to produce an RPG that is so easy that those who find Crysis too intellectually challenging can play the latest Zenimax blockbuster with ease. Why do you think, despite their millions, Zenimax can't be bothered to hire an actual writer to write their famously bad dialogue? It's because most of their target audience can't even read and the few that can would only do so if forced and would skip over even the best written dialogue without hesitation.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
People like tunguska are why I sometimes want to buy my games instead of pirating them, their bitching is just so hilarious and often more entertaining than the "smart" games they preach.

Chefe

Erudite
You can tell someone is serious business when they post a list of their favorite games in their signature.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Espciailly when one of them was canceled even before it was released.

Tintin

Arbiter
I'd prefer if it took place in one of the non-human territories. I've never played Arena, but Morrowind is my favourite ES game in terms of setting because I was genuinely interested in the setting and the tensions between the Dunmer and the Empire, the foreign creatures and fauna, the strange architecture (Telvanni and Redoran primarily), different factions, etc, the whole backdrop of the game was just really compelling. I spent a lot of time reading the books in-game because of that interest, they built up a level of detail that helped make up for the dullness and low activity of the actual world around you. On the other hand, Oblivion's setting got dull very, very quickly. I didn't even like Daggerfall all that much in this regard even though most people think it's the best ES game.

Ideally I'd like to see TESV take place in one of the territories of the beast races. Anything except humans would be fine. Cyrodil was just so damn boring.

PipBoy4000

Novice
The Wii is a piece of shit system for casual idiots. Their brains would explode at a title as hardcore as Oblivion.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
PipBoy4000 said:
The Wii is a piece of shit system for casual idiots. Their brains would explode at a title as hardcore as Oblivion.

You're still a terrible troll. Try harder.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tintin said:
I'd prefer if it took place in one of the non-human territories. I've never played Arena, but Morrowind is my favourite ES game in terms of setting because I was genuinely interested in the setting and the tensions between the Dunmer and the Empire, the foreign creatures and fauna, the strange architecture (Telvanni and Redoran primarily), different factions, etc, the whole backdrop of the game was just really compelling. I spent a lot of time reading the books in-game because of that interest, they built up a level of detail that helped make up for the dullness and low activity of the actual world around you. On the other hand, Oblivion's setting got dull very, very quickly. I didn't even like Daggerfall all that much in this regard even though most people think it's the best ES game.

Ideally I'd like to see TESV take place in one of the territories of the beast races. Anything except humans would be fine. Cyrodil was just so damn boring.

The real Cyrodiil was supposed to be a jungle inhabited by Romans. Not a generic pseudo-European medieval fantasy land. No matter *what* province Bethesda do next, expect the lore to be severely dumbed down to cater to the mainstream.

Who gives a flying fuck about lore, something you only read about in the fucking manual and skill books?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Emotional Vampire said:
Who gives a flying fuck about lore, something you only read about in the fucking manual and skill books?

If they had stuck to the lore Oblivion would actually have been an interesting setting, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom