Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Greyhawk pimpage

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

Today (yesterday, actually, but nevermind), our new Greyhawk website - <a target=_blank href=http://greyhawk.lexx.eu.org>has launched</a>. The staff consists mostly of RPG Codex staff and regulars. Here's what <b>Spazmo</b> said in the opening news:
<br>
<ul>
<br>
Today, we launch our new bilingual Polish/English site all about <A target=_blank href=http://www.troikagames.com>Troika</a>&#8217;s line of Greyhawk games. &#8221;What&#8217;s that,&#8221; you say, &#8221;line of Greyhawk games? I thought there was only <A target=_blank href=http://www.greyhawkgame.com>The Temple of Elemental Evil</a>!&#8221; Well, that&#8217;s true, but several bits of evidence lead us to believe that Tim Cain and his team are going to go on to create a whole series of great games based on classic Greyhawk D&D modules, like Vault of the Drow, Against the Giants, White Plume Mountain, Descent Into the Depths of the Earth and anything else Mr. Cain takes a fancy to. Therefore, we decided to dedicate this site to all the Greyhawk games.</ul>
<br>
Well, what's more to say? I hope you'll like our site :). Don't forget to also visit our #greyhawk channel at irc.gamesnet.net, and our <a target=_blank href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=14>board</a> at the RPG Codex forums.

Psilon

Erudite
Sounds interesting. Since the "forums" link points over here, are you going to add a dedicated Greyhawk forum?

Araanor

Liturgist
Foresightful approach, appeasing design. You're off for a good start.

That introductionary page would almost make you think it's the official site. 8)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good looking site. Now, for the game to be released...

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
And what do the latin under the circle of 8 mean ?

Oh and good luck with your new site .

I have already bookmarked it .

Then I have also bookmarked that unique goat site . :oops:

I also have over 500 bookmarks .

Well it does not have a lot of content right now but i am sure that you will fix it .

Have you persuaded Tim or another Troikate to give an interview ?

Deathy

Liturgist
I notice that your site is based on "Greyhawk" rather than "Temple of Elemental Evil" hoping for sequels, now, are we?

Spazmo

Erudite
That's what the HYE EVARYBODY! newspost says. I do believe Troika (if not necessarily Tim Cain himself) will go on to make more Greyhawk games. Lots of interview bits support this.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Cool. Just Hotlisted it.

Timmy C has said explicitly that he'd like to make Against The Giants and that in fact he almost made that the module he would use instead of ToEE.
If ToEE sells even moderately well, I think we can expect more Greyhawk modules from Troika.

Pointless aside: I am really happy to see them using Greyhawk - not just becasue it is the setting on which I cut my PnP DnD teeth but also because it is a much more interesting setting than FR.

edit: spelling

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

I like everything except that spazmo is working for it, which means it prolly wont be as good as it could be.

Ausir

Arcane
Too bad Living Greyhawk Gazetter for 3E sucks. The old Greyhawk sourcebooks were much better.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Without wanting to poop on the party or piss on the cake too much...

You have your own site, and yet your forums are hosted here. Why?

Is this place becomming attack of the other sites hosted forums or something?

Ausir

Arcane
Well, i asked Deathy - the guy who's responsible for the forums.
And who also happens to own this domain.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, we like the RPGCodex community. It's the target audience, if you will. Plus, we can't be bothered to make our own forum.

Lemon

Arcane
How much time would they get to complete Against The Giants?

By their measure how many copies sold is poor, enough, or good?

Sammael

Liturgist
Lemon said:
By their measure how many copies sold is poor enough or good?
By anybody's measure, I'd say a CRPG needs to sell about 300K copies in the first few months to be considered comercially viable. At $50 a copy, that may seem like a lot ($15M), but when you consider the development costs (something in the neighborhood of $2-3M), and the costs of distribution, marketing, retailer profits, etc., you'll notice it adds up.

Unless your game is TEH SIMZ, you aren't going to make much of a profit after the first three months or so.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Sammael said:
Lemon said:
By their measure how many copies sold is poor enough or good?
By anybody's measure, I'd say a CRPG needs to sell about 300K copies in the first few months to be considered comercially viable. At $50 a copy, that may seem like a lot ($15M), but when you consider the development costs (something in the neighborhood of $2-3M), and the costs of distribution, marketing, retailer profits, etc., you'll notice it adds up.

Unless your game is TEH SIMZ, you aren't going to make much of a profit after the first three months or so.

I do not agree .Any RPG title that sells 300 K the first 3 months is a big hit.

Oh and by the way I just told my
browser to block this picture from ever displaying again because
it is a bit annoying.
http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

triCritical

Erudite
Sammael said:

Sammael those numbers are huge. This is about what BGDA on PS2 has sold and that was the win. IWD was considered a success and it sold about 200k, if I am not mistaken. I would say if ToEE sells about 200K people will be fat, dumb and happy. Afterall, its seems like Atari has been low budgeting this game from this start and there is less then 15 people working on it. NWN had 50 at one time, and it sold much less then its pre-order. :shock:

Spazmo

Erudite
triCritical said:
I would say if ToEE sells about 200K people will be fat, dumb and happy.

You mean they'll be American?

Okay, okay, sorry. Moving right along...

Yes, 300K is bloody huge numbers for any game throughout it's lifetime, especially for a game that took 18 months to develop.

It's only games that are extremely expensive to produce and take some five years to make that need 300K in the first quarter after release to be successful, and then mostly to recuperate the cost of the hype.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Spazmo said:
triCritical said:
I would say if ToEE sells about 200K people will be fat, dumb and happy.

It's only games that are extremely expensive to produce and take some five years to make that need 300K in the first quarter after release to be successful, and then mostly to recuperate the cost of the hype.

*cough*Enter the Matrix *cough*

Spazmo

Erudite
I was thinking of another game, but what the heck! Enter the Matrix does also fit the Interplay-got-screwed-over bill.

Sammael

Liturgist
Hey, I was basing the numbers on my estimation of costs. A game that only 15 people are working on is certainly going to cost a whole lot less, thus reducing the overall expenses.However, BG, BG2, and NWN all sold a lot more than 300K copies. Don't forget than NWN had around 1M pre-orders, and got raving reviews from just about every major gaming source. I'm positive that it sold more than 500K in the first three months.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sammael said:
Don't forget than NWN had around 1M pre-orders, and got raving reviews from just about every major gaming source. I'm positive that it sold more than 500K in the first three months.

I seriously doubt NWN had 1M pre-orders. It took several months for them to reach 1M sales, and they had a big press release about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom