Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News LucasartsBioware.com launched

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare

Lucas Arts & Bioware have agreed to make something so awesome together that it requires a <a href=http://www.lucasartsbioware.com>combined website power</a> of both company to contain its awesomeness.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare Corp. today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.
<br>
<br>
“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”
<br>
<br>
“BioWare’s mission is to deliver the best story and character-driven games in the world, delivering powerful emotional experiences to our fans.” said Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer, BioWare Corp. Added Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare Corp., “The collaboration with LucasArts allows us to combine our passion for creating high quality and innovative experiences with those of a company dedicated to bringing only the finest games to market.</blockquote>Star Wars MMO Take 2 FTW?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Kris
<br>
<br>

Deleted member 7219

This is truly a dark day for those wanting a KOTOR 3.

TheLostOne

Savant
I can't imagine this going well.

I tend to like Bioware games despite being a little too full of fluffy clouds, candy canes and bunnies.

Their self stated strength is storytelling, and I sure as hell don't play Jade Empire or Kotor for its addicting gameplay.

WTF are they going to do with an MMO? WoW had to implement instant quest text in a patch because no one wanted to have to read anything to get a quest. Think they give a fuck about story?

Hmm... I wonder how EA will respond when this project tanks... They're awfully forgiving of mistakes. I'm sure everything will be fine for the Bio guys...

vrok

Liturgist
Really hope they'll make an MMO so Blizzard can shove their shallow bullshit up their ass where it belongs. WoW has more depth than any Bioware RPG since BG2.

TheLostOne said:
WoW had to implement instant quest text in a patch because no one wanted to have to read anything to get a quest. Think they give a fuck about story?
WoW got instant quest text because:

1. The scrolling was too slow. A 7 year old reads faster than that.

2. There's no reason to read it when you've done the quest a million times.

Dagon

Scholar
Shit Kotor was poor RPG, but it was a fun game anyway now they will ruin it completely.
Fuck the mass market.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That would actually be fun.... imagine running around in an interactive graphical chat in a nice cartoonish world.. hmm...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
mainlogo.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So much for Bioware giving up on big franchise licensed IP's.

Morgoth said:
MMO and story-driven... how is that supposed to work?

It could be on the lines of what URU was at first going to be, but less chatty - Lots of resources going to making new areas open up constantly, lots of interaction, and lots of "events" following the premise/storyline.

It could work, and considering the huge number of fans (or, at least, the small but very vocal number of fans) URU got there is a market for non-grindish MMOs.

I doubt they are going to do something like that, thought.

First EA, now Lucas Arts, Bioware gets some double penetration. They should release a laser sabre swinging Wii title, thats roleplaying..eh LARPing in its true form.

Zomg

Arbiter
vrok said:
WoW got instant quest text because:

1. The scrolling was too slow. A 7 year old reads faster than that.

2. There's no reason to read it when you've done the quest a million times.

Actually, it's because everyone that plays WoW is a P-Zombie, and as soulless husks they cannot infer meanings from symbols.

Chefe

Erudite
I think marketing representatives have gotten progressively dumber and more robotic over the past couple of years.

Reading that makes me want to puke. Not for the content, but how it's written.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
so instead of going for epic armorsets, players will be hunting for epic romance interests i take it ? i bet there s a huge market for that, especially if its star wars.

WalterKinde

Scholar
This keeps getting worse and worse.
Unless they plan to publish grim fandango or return to monkey island type games.
Get ready to be bombarded with Star Wars and Jedi Knight spin offs.
Although to be fair i wouldn't mind another Rogue Squadron or TIE Fighter for the PC.
Those about the only Star Wars games i can handle these days, enough with the RTS,RPGs and MMOs.

EDIT
Just realized the announcement says nothing about the PC :cry:
They could go 100% console with this new deal.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Fat chance of ever having Lucasarts releasing pc-only a space sim again.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Just took a look at the official thread in the bioware forums and the people who seem to be praising this "marriage" seem to be the 360 owners mostly, and the seem to be wishing for a KOTOR MMO.
Why i have no idea, i guess Star Wars galaxies didn't teach them anything.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The idea of a MMO in the Star Wars universe isn't bad per-se.
Just because the first try kind of sucked it doesn't mean it can't be done better...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom