Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 gets more and more perky

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

That's right, <A HREF="http://www.bethsoft.com/">Bethesda</A> has published the <A HREF="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/falloutcontest.html">results of their "design a perk" contest</A>! Out of more than 17,000 entries, the jury has chosen this one to be implemented in the game:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<strong>Grim Reaper's Sprint</strong>
<br>
Everytime you kill an opponent, all your action points are automatically restored.
<br>
(Submitted by: Marc-Andre Deslongchamps)
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Now I see it! <em>Thank God</em> Bethesda has abandoned the combat system of the first two games: it would have pretty absurd consequences when combined with this perk. Smart thinking there, guys.
<br>
<br>
Be sure to read the <A HREF="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/falloutcontest.html">whole thing</A> to discover some gems among the runners up:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<strong>Tonality</strong>
<br>
You've learned to control the tone of your voice. By controling your voice you are better able to convice people to see your side of things or to rouse them to anger. You have now gained the ability of a second chance when talking to people.
<br>
(Submitted by: Jacob Eckelman)
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
This must be why Schönberg was never a hit with the ladies.
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<strong>Nuclear Man (or Woman)</strong>
<br>
Your body reacts like a battery to radiation and you've learned to harness it. Once per day, you can <strong>unleash a mini Nuclear explosion from your body</strong>, causing (X) amount of damage to all combatants in (X) radius.
<br>
(Submitted by: Kevin Turner)
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Um, this would be done by clapping hands, obviously?
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<strong>Falling from Heaven</strong>
<br>
When you're in a combat and losing it, a random object (a spoon, a table, etc.) might fall from the sky and hit your enemy, causing damage (the amount of damage is relevant to the mass of the object). This perk naturally only works outdoors.
<br>
(Submitted by: Ville Hankipohja)
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Since this is the epitome of high-brow montypythonese humour, I'm confident Bethesda would chose this one as a winner. They just don't have the budget for all the 3D models required.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <strong>Vault Dweller</strong>!

Micmu

Magister
Looks like a fun nuclear arcade game.
Looking forward to it.
Grim Reaper's Sprint
Every time you kill an opponent, all your action points are automatically restored.
Maximally action packed! Yay!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: Fallout 3 gest more and more perky

Okay, most quoted by you are.. meh.. too arcady, as already stated.

But I really love that one:
<blockquote>
<strong>Falling from Heaven</strong>
When you're in a combat and losing it, a random object (a spoon, a table, etc.) might fall from the sky and hit your enemy, causing damage (the amount of damage is relevant to the mass of the object). This perk naturally only works outdoors.
(Submitted by: Ville Hankipohja)
</blockquote>

And about that Grim Reaper thing... I really dont understand why it won. I mean... this totally proves those guys at bethsoft to be totally unaware of wtf they are doing. This perk is just much too strong. If I get it right, everyone with this perk could be in VATS-mode more or less all the time when facing many (weaker) opponents. That just sucks.

Micmu

Magister
Remember how we cracked jokes about nuclear explosion swords +10 ?

THEY DIDN'T :lol:

I just wanna hear another "we're not pulling BOS"...

hiciacit

Liturgist
There are a few good ones in there, even more so in the runner-ups, but that Grim Reaper's Sprint is just rediculous. Your AP are restored when you make a kill...why? And what happens at later levels when you can kill in a single round?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Re: Fallout 3 gest more and more perky

Elwro said:
Grim Reaper's Sprint
Everytime you kill an opponent, all your action points are automatically restored.
That's the Grand Champion? Out of all the submissions, they chose that as "the best"? The problem is, can someone tell me why I wouldn't choose this Perk? From a combat perspective, it looks like a no-brainer. In fact, I'd have thought Bethesda would've made that standard combat operation for some inane reason or another.

I like the "Deal with the Devil" and "Money Talks" though. "Kleptomaniac" sounds like fun too.

"Nuclear Man (or Woman)" yeah, that's just lame.

Are these actually guaranteed to be in the game though? I mean, they have a whole section at the end with "people chosen randomly just for entering" and I can't see those perks getting added in the game. Does anyone know if the Grand Prize winner is the only one that gets in?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Schizophrenia
You're twisted, seriously. It sometimes happens that somebody else inside you takes control over your mind and body. From time to time, somebody else can talk or act in your place. He gives you his skills and his vices for a short duration. You can suddenly talk science like a doctor and then think like a two year child at the very next second. Quite random and risky way of life. - This Perk allows short time accesses to different levels of dimensions of dialogs sentences and strongly affects the character sheet. Could be based on low intelligence and high luck, or so.

I love this one!

Slylandro

Scholar
Grim Reaper's Sprint is a pretty obvious ripoff of D&D's Great Cleave feat or whatever it's called (except better of course since you get AP back, and not necessarily an attack, so you have more options). Definitely overpowered unless enemies in Fallout 3 will be very hard to kill. I doubt it though.

Micmu

Magister
Definitely overpowered unless enemies in Fallout 3 will be very hard to kill. I doubt it though.
Don't worry, The Masters Of Balance will provide you with a trademark difficulty slider that will make any enemy killable with one BB gunshot at lowest setting and ten nukes for a rat at highest.

Elwro

Arcane
Jasede said:
It's "gets", not "gest" in the topic title, Elwro.
Yeah, thanks. I had already edited the news title and thought it would also change the topic title, but it didn't.

Elwro

Arcane
Guys, the ONLY one added to the game will most surely be the Grim Reaper Sprint - they've just displayed the rest for the lulz and to give the runners up some prizes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... it shows Bethesda's foolishness, but ... at least you don't HAVE to take this perk.

My favourite, though, is Crazy Eye.
I just love it ;)

<blockquote>
Opponents attacking from the front suffer a penalty to hit you because, seriously, that eye is freaking me out.
</blockquote>

obediah

Erudite
Elwro said:
</blockquote>

I'm impressed that Bethesda has so thoroughly stamped out their programmer's ambition. An if statement and a variable reset? And from a design perspective *yawn* a number goes up.

<blockquote>
<strong>Tonality</strong>
You've learned to control the tone of your voice. By controling your voice you are better able to convice people to see your side of things or to rouse them to anger. You have now gained the ability of a second chance when talking to people.
(Submitted by: Jacob Eckelman)
</blockquote>

It would be cool if the this was a perk you had to take at character creation and it caused the entire game to take place in China.

Deleted member 7219

The average IQ over at Bethesda has really dropped quite considerably if they think that Grim Reaper's Shit perk is not going to totally make the game easy. It's more or less a cheat.

I can't believe this is the same studio that brought us Morrowind. I think its because they have all new staffers now, if you look at their 'Beth Blog'. All the new people they've showcased have Halo and Sonic as their favourite games, and when that all important question, 'Have you played the Fallout games?' is put to them, the answer is uniformly 'No'.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Elwro said:
<blockquote>
</blockquote>

That's absolutely ridiculous. Bethesda contradict themselves definitely too often, thus making me worried that they lack an intellectually coherent vision of what they wish this game to be (in addition, I fear they shall completely fuck up the lore and believability of the world as a whole).
They might as well include a 'God mode' option in game preferences menu...

dagorkan

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
I can't believe this is the same studio that brought us Morrowind. I think its because they have all new staffers now, if you look at their 'Beth Blog'. All the new people they've showcased have Halo and Sonic as their favourite games, and when that all important question, 'Have you played the Fallout games?' is put to them, the answer is uniformly 'No'.
You're probably talking about the artists, who are less important anyway and don't need to stay on as long.

Lumpy

Arcane
Kingston said:
Oh Christ. They actually threw their combat system out of the window. I bet all of those weren't even submitted, they just needed an excuse to get them in.
You're quite dumb, aren't you?
Why would they community made, since it's going to be put in the game anyway.
I don't disagree, it is bad, but your "conspiracy" theory is really retarded.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lestat said:
Schizophrenia
You're twisted, seriously. It sometimes happens that somebody else inside you takes control over your mind and body. From time to time, somebody else can talk or act in your place. He gives you his skills and his vices for a short duration. You can suddenly talk science like a doctor and then think like a two year child at the very next second. Quite random and risky way of life. - This Perk allows short time accesses to different levels of dimensions of dialogs sentences and strongly affects the character sheet. Could be based on low intelligence and high luck, or so.

I love this one!
This is pure genius. It should have won. It's more creative than any trait Fallout 1&2 had. It's a trait, I assume.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Since I have yet to fully grasp how the hell VATS is supposed to work, I can't really form an opinion on the winner, but some of the other submissions are pretty horrible. Starfish Limbs and Puppet Master are outstandingly stupid, and why would anyone not pick Deal with the Devil?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Lumpy said:
Kingston said:
Oh Christ. They actually threw their combat system out of the window. I bet all of those weren't even submitted, they just needed an excuse to get them in.
You're quite dumb, aren't you?
Why would they community made, since it's going to be put in the game anyway.
I don't disagree, it is bad, but your "conspiracy" theory is really retarded.

It was a fucking joke you tard.

MisterStone

Arcane
Elwro said:
That's right, <A HREF="http://www.bethsoft.com/">Bethesda</A> has published the <A HREF="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/falloutcontest.html">results of their "design a perk" contest</A>! Out of more than 17,000 entries, the jury has chosen this one to be implemented in the game:
<blockquote>
</blockquote>

KIIIIIIIIILING FRENZY!

Sound like this will be a great sequel to GTA 3.

Seeing the dumbass winners makes me feel better about mine not being chosen. OK, SO I SUBMITTED ONE... ER THREE OR FOUR. SO KILL ME!

deuxhero

Arcane
Uz0rnaem said:
why would anyone not pick Deal with the Devil?

Because the armor of a single common as dirt raider is worth twice that much?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom