Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Age of Decadence: a new combat video

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

<a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/">Iron Tower</a> have released the second <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/video/AoD_combat2.avi">combat video</a> of their upcoming RPG, <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/">Age of Decadence</a>. Click <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/video/AoD_combat2.avi">the link</a> for some three-on-one action and a nasty surprise; don't forget to comment!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <strong>Vault Dweller!</strong>

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
You remember the south park episode where Ike was sexually abused by his teacher?
All i have to say is "Nice".

NiM82

Prophet
Looks pretty cool, but I second the need for impact sounds/grunts.

Q: Is the spear recoverable from the npc it hit? Seemed a bit odd the way it vanished and didn't fall to the ground/stick in.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It drops on the ground, but isn't shown. You don't pixel-hunt items; instead you click the eye button and get all available* items Realms of Arkania style. Simple and effective.

* your "available" radius is much smaller during combat.

We will try to implement some "visual aid" system though, like a loot bag or a chest.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh man. I hate sad endings.

So is there some kind of penalty for switching weapons like that in mid-combat?

Nael

Arcane
I must be the only one that this video is playing upside down and backwards for...? :?

RGE

Liturgist
Don't bring a sword and board to a gunfight, eh? :wink:

Looked impressive enough. The highlights in the choose-your-attack-menu could be a bit more visible. Red seems like an appropriate colour. Certainly better than making them grey, I'd say. But perhaps there's a thread in the devoted forum that's already gone through that?

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
So is there some kind of penalty for switching weapons like that in mid-combat?
If you look carefully beneath the little boot (perhaps with wings?), you can see how going into the inventory costs 4 Action Points, just like in Fallout.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Pretty good. Keeps looking better and better. Wish more than ever it wasn't just single character control in combat, though.

Slylandro

Scholar
Very nice video, would have been somewhat better if you could hear the sound effects.
Yeah I think that's pretty much the only major way the video could be improved, if the sound effects (if there are any) could be heard. Maybe the music drowned them out. Sounds of metal clashing, bodies getting slashed, guards getting knocked to the ground, etc would add a lot I think to the combat sequence. But other than that, it looks absolutely amazing. Almost doesn't look like an Indie game anymore.

John Yossarian

Magister
There are no sound effects right now. VD said they're planned though, hopefully they'll be in by the next video.

Krokar

Scholar
Fuck yeah! Great video
icon_salut.gif

Suicidal

Arcane
Nice video. The animations reminded me of Fallout. Also, the ending rocked.

Hory

Erudite
Enemies sliding from hammer hits is HEAVEN.

But I hope there are realistic penalties for switching the weapon so much in combat.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hory said:
But I hope there are realistic penalties for switching the weapon so much in combat.

You're the second person to say that.

I have to wonder, what exactly are you think of? It takes time to switch weapons, represented by action points, but what are you suggesting beyond that?

- Should the PC be confused that he's suddenly holding a hammer instead of a knife and get a to-hit penalty?
- Should the next attack by the NPCs have a to-hit bonus because the PC had his back turned to them while rummaging to his pack?

What what what?

Hory

Erudite
Brother None said:
Hory said:

You're the second person to say that.

I have to wonder, what exactly are you think of? It takes time to switch weapons, represented by action points, but what are you suggesting beyond that?

- Should the PC be confused that he's suddenly holding a hammer instead of a knife and get a to-hit penalty?
- Should the next attack by the NPCs have a to-hit bonus because the PC had his back turned to them while rummaging to his pack?

What what what?
I haven't watched exactly how many action points each action took, it's just that he kept switching them and still had no problem doing special attacks and beating everyone. Realistically, switching a weapon would be very time consuming, tho there are exceptions. You could be unarmed and draw a katana pretty fast while attacking with it at the same time. And I suppose you could drop a weapon and quickly draw another, that is in a position to be reached easily. But Fallout's 4AP for everything you want is over-powered.
Using 15 stim-packs just because you're in the inventory is ridiculous and eliminates the concept of action points. Maybe accessing the inventory should cost 3 APs or so, and then every item could have it's own additional "usage" AP cost. A small/fast weapon would have a low cost and a heavy two-handed hammer a higher one.

Putting a two-handed hammer back in your pack, taking another weapon out, taking and equipping a tower shield too, and still attacking the enemy before he can attack you is way over the top.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hory said:
Putting a two-handed hammer back in your pack, taking another weapon out, taking and equipping a tower shield too, and still attacking the enemy before he can attack you is way over the top.

True, but maybe this was done to be able to show different weapons and attacks without having to wait 10 rounds.

bezimek

Scholar
Vault Dweller first time in my whole life I am speechless. Combat in AoD is fun, tactical and absorbing. Graphics are very nice. Music is fantastic.

I have two small questions:
1. During combat player character have many attack options. We will have to learn them or they will be accessible to the player from beginning of the game ? Or maybe attack options would be stats / skill base ?
2.AoD will be party based or single players ?

btw. Say hello to my little fiend - I just loved that ;)

edit:
Switching weapon cost 4 AP ( 11 - 4 = 7)

Gwendo

Augur
So, will the game feature "unguessable" random instant deaths to the player, like in the end of the video? That would be annoying to die, for something I couldn't predict or don't have any fault or choice. That would be cheap: save/loading mandatory to solve the quests. Trial and error.

elander_

Arbiter
Hory said:

TB tactical games are not about combat realism but having good rules and a nice challenge like a board game. This is something we usually accept in these games.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Gwendo said:
So, will the game feature "unguessable" random instant deaths to the player, like in the end of the video? That would be annoying to die, for something I couldn't predict or don't have any fault or choice. That would be cheap: save/loading mandatory to solve the quests. Trial and error.
Well, if you look at the characters hitpoints they were already quite depleted. I started following them when they were around 38. In the end he only had around 10 left. That doesn't look like a random, instant death to me ;)

And it is a video. It might not depict an ingame situation the way a player would experience the same situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom