Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Circle of Eight ToEE Mod Released!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil

The first version (1.0.0) of the <a href="http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?s=ff73ab4b1a3b5f1fc3f40b3f7f4f7dd8&threadid=282" target="blank">ToEE Fan Fixes Mod</a> project from the Circle of Eight (site pending) has just been released for public consumption. Here's a small portion of the list of fixes in this fan-made patch/modification:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
The NPC's looting has been fixed, but NPC's you have ALREADY hired WON'T be fixed. So you need to change them for other NPC's or start a new game if you don't want to.
<br>
<br>
<b>Spell Fixes</b>
<br>
<ul><li>All known (to us) Scroll bugs have been addressed (bugs preventing scribing, scribing at the wrong level, or didn't do what was advertised (Fox's Cunning != aid) (Except Hold Portal. Don't ask us about Hold Portal, ask Troika, We can't fix it.) (All Hold Portal scrolls magically transformed into Grease. All references to Hold Portal removed for confusion sake.)
<br>
<li>All cleric domains but Air are fixed. (Air is bugged majorly, maybe a typo in toee.exe linkage?)
<br>
<li>Fixed the damage problems with Flame Strike ... Now correctly does 1d6 * Spell Caster Level (1/2 Fire and 1/2 Divine Damage.)
<br>
<li>Chill touch no longer has unlimited # of uses.
<br>
<li>Read Magic will Identify Potions and Scrolls.
<br>
<li>Burne no longer gets summon monster V at 4th level
<br>
<li>Improved chances of 'permanency' bug not ocurring with touch based spells
<br>
<li>Improved chances of 'permanency' bug not ocurring with Silence, Web, Soften Earth & Stone and Spike Growth spells
<br>
<li>Cure/Inflict line of spells was incorrectly calculating values. Was adding the caster level to the die size(i.e. lvl 5 cleric uses 1d13). Now correctly rolls and adds caster level
<br>
</ul>
<br>
<b>Item Fixes</b>
<br>
<i>Wands</i>
<br>
<ul><li>Numerous problems resolved with wands..(including the 10 lb wand bug, can't craft it, and wrong spell bugs) </ul>
<br>
<br>
<i>Misc Magic/Regular Items</i><ul>
<br>
<li>All magic items that were previously un-craftable are now craftable. (Bands Intelligence, etc.)
<br>
<li>Chainmail Boots and Gloves are no longer considered "medium" armor, and therefore will not slow you down while wearing them.
<br>
<li>Cloaks of Resistance +2 and +3 now correctly give +2, and +3 bonus to saves
<br>
<li>Masterwork Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
<br>
<li>Pre-existing Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
<br>
<li>Crafted +1 Armor/Shields apply proper 3.5 Ed. Skill Check Penalties.
<br>
<li>Masterwork/Magic Weapons now apply Weapon Finesse correctly.
<br>
<li>MasterWork Items are now "purchasable" from the blacksmith.
<br>
<li>Dust of Disapearence is now worth 3.5 DMG value rather then 0 Gold.
<br>
<li>All potions now work correctly.</ul>
<br>
</blockquote></b>Go to the <a href="http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?s=ff73ab4b1a3b5f1fc3f40b3f7f4f7dd8&threadid=282" target="blank">Circle of Eight Forums</a> for the full list of changes and for the download mirrors. I've taken the liberty of <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/downloads/toee/ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V1_0_0.exe">hosting a mirror</a> on the RPG Codex which you can also attain at that website. I must recommend that you read each and every bit of the release information as it contains instructions on the application of the modification and its removal.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They loot only gold. But we made it so they loot an amount of gold proportionate to the amonut of the loo they were picking up originally.

Flink

Liturgist
That is indeed awsome. I hated how my followers got encumbered by all the Phat LeWt they grabbed before.

JanC

Liturgist
This puts Troika to shame. Well done, Circle of 8!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
A fan patch before the official patch. Great for fans; pathetic for Troika.

Good work for those who did it. I won't use it; but still for those fans who will; I'm sure it's less buggy too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
A fan patch before the official patch. Great for fans; pathetic for Troika.
Will you shut up already? What part of "Atari had to greenlight the patch, and then QA and CR it" you are having problem comprehending?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
And? There should have been no doubt about it. Both Atari, and Troika should be ashamed.

Me? Shut up? No.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
And? There should have been no doubt about it. Both Atari, and Troika should be ashamed.

Me? Shut up? No.

It's no small secret that Atari released an older RC than Troika had given them.

It's also unclear what bugs this thing will produce... But I'm willing to find out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
True; but if I recalled Troika handed that over after Atari had basically given the green light to release the game. It's up to Troika to follow the shcedule if at all possible. Of course Atari could have been more patient as well. Then again, as you hinted, there is not elling if the game would be less or more buggy with Troika's new version or not.

I do reckon the patch they are working on should at the very least fix the major, and obvious bugs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
But you didn't say Troika and Atari, you prefer to blame Troika for everything, which is plain wrong. My own take on developer / publisher relationship is to blame the publisher because they are in control of everything: development, content, deadlines, possible extensions, marketing, qa, copy right, pathes, etc. I'm a developer myself, sometimes we use 3rd party to do lesser projects, and while we expect them to do quality work, I consider it our responsibility to ensure that they deliver according to the expectations. Same with Atari. Had they bothered to do some actual QA they would have known that there are some bugs. Had they bothered to ensure that they are releasing the latest version, the game would not have as many bugs, but i suppose it could have been worse, they could have released a beta :roll:

JanC

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Had they bothered to ensure that they are releasing the latest version, the game would not have as many bugs, but i suppose it could have been worse, they could have released a beta :roll:
From the sound of it, they did. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, I blame both. However, Troika has fanboys do defend its honour; Atari doesn't so the scales must be tipped. 8)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn the True Neutral said:
However, Troika has fanboys do defend its honour; Atari doesn't so the scales must be tipped.
You're taking that role-playing thing way too seriously :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Only a fanboy would say that - espicially one who is willing to do the work of those who get paid for it.

VD, heh. :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Only a fanboy would say that - espicially one who is willing to do the work of those who get paid for it.

VD, heh. :lol:

You might have a point if Troika weren't already working on more fixes for the patch before Atari agreed to pay them to do it.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I've noticed that Volourn seems to have a mutated King Midas gene, as every thread he touches turnes to 'duh'.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Troika's game; Troika's bug; they should fix them. And, they already got paid for making the game so they are only finishing the job.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Very true Volourn. While I don't believe in shelling out cash for a job only half done, I also think that Troika worked with a semi-difficult time frame and developer(atari), mainly cause Atari, from what I've been getting here at the boards, did alot of things rushed and half-assed. So what Im basically sayin is that it is partially Troika's fault for releasing the game buggy as hell, but ut's also Atari's for really fuckin up with the last minute revisions to the game and then rushing it out on the market. And remember, I'm a Troika fanboy :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
True, Atari most definitly isn't the best publisher out there. Remember, though, Troika was very much aware of their relatively short development cycyle they be burden with at contract signing time.

Still, I should add, that in the end even with the all the bugs and poor designd ecisions that I hate, I still enjoy TOEE for what it is.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

Does this patch include an uninstall feature just in case? You know like when Atari releases the patch I would like to try that on it's own too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom